Old 28th July 2012, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 502

Default whats the point

really disappointed I bought arma II just cause I heard about dayz and so far its been the worst gaming money I've spent in years.
Can't find a weapon, you can't even fight with your fists, you bleed at the slightest hit and randomly break legs.
You find an axe only to find its not something thats actually a weapon just a graphic.
Not to mention the problems of actually getting into a game in the first place which can takes ages.

Seriously can someone tell me why anyones plays this buggy POS game or am I just missing something really obvious that will make me feel like a moron.
Rotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28th July 2012, 03:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Toggerator
Lethal - Post: 6296

Relaxed

Don't forget it is just in alpha development stage so it will get better I believe.
AlphaGamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Competent - Post: 396

I can only speak for myself but much of what you mentioned is why I log in.

DayZ is brutal, but satisfying. Weapons and gear aren't that rare, but the good stuff is. The axe you mentioned can be used as a melee' weapon, you need to equip it, wich moves it from your toolbelt to your back/hand. If you've only just bought Arma2 and OA and jumped straight into DayZ. Stop. Boot up Arma and do the tutorials, shoot, drive, find your way around, it won't take long and will make your life much easier and longer in DayZ. It is just a mod, and adds alot more micro-management and realism, for the basic stuff it's best to learn in the tuts then migrate to the mod. It'll all make much more sense after that.

As for the attraction, if you keep playing you'll find it. I've had experiences like no other in the gaming world in this, at opposite ends of the frustration/elation spectrum but like nothing else. When the main goal is preservation of your own "life" and the value of that is the rare gear, RP goals and hours it takes to get by and around, things get pretty interesting pretty quickly..

If you can I'd also suggest playing/learning with a (small) group or friendly survivor, having an extra set of eyes and pack space can make a big difference when your trying to get off the coast.
Espesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2818

Drunk

It's supposed to be hard.

Deadly hard.

There's a reason the DayZ website says:

(Also, you can use the hatchet as a weapon)
Old 28th July 2012, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 694

Chatty

Disappointed? Frustrated? Feeling like a moron? Interestingly, these are the kinds of emotions the developer has stated in reviews he's set out to try to create. He wants people frustrated. He wants people to be angry. Wait until you get to the massive betrayal of trust which costs you everything you've spent hours working for part, that part is GOLD! Me? I'm still hating how my in-game adventure ends most times without so much as a chance to shoot back, and I'm doing pretty well at the game otherwise.

But you wanted to know why people play it. That was your question. Why do I play this buggy piece of shit? Because it's so damn challenging. There's so much more to it than track with the mouse, click with the button, kill a dude, win the game. If that was all I wanted, there are tens of thousands of other games which would give me that experience. Day Z is the hot chick who won't talk to me. Day Z is the promotion I'm up against thirty other people to get. Day Z is cut throat, all in, tough as nails gaming. It's not meant to be easy. And I think, like so many other people, I've found that's actually what I want in a game. I want to be pushed, so when I do well, I know, it's all me. Or, if you're a TOGger, all me and my mates working together.

But be warned, grouping up with a big bunch of TOG members before you get to the point where you can find a gun, feed yourself, stay hydrated and not be zombie food for an hour or two at a time is like changing the settings to EASY. Nothing wrong with that, but to me, it takes away some of what attracts me to this game night after night.

Last edited by Noises; 28th July 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Noises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 04:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1280

Tired

It really is brutal. At the same time, I've never found a game that gives me an adrenalin rush when I'm fighting to stay alive before.
Biggus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
And I don't have the excuse of Rabies
Ace - Post: 9879 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotty View Post
really disappointed I bought arma II just cause I heard about dayz and so far its been the worst gaming money I've spent in years.
Can't find a weapon, you can't even fight with your fists, you bleed at the slightest hit and randomly break legs.
You find an axe only to find its not something thats actually a weapon just a graphic.
Not to mention the problems of actually getting into a game in the first place which can takes ages.

Seriously can someone tell me why anyones plays this buggy POS game or am I just missing something really obvious that will make me feel like a moron.
It sounds like you have just jumped in and started to play without getting a handle on the various in game controls. May I suggest that you jump into TS and ask if another TOG member can guide you through the basic commands to get you going. There is also a tonne of useful "how to" YouTube clips to guide you through and basic commands / actions. Do your self a favour and try checking those out also.

For instance, when you pick up the axe, it gets added to your tool belt. To equip the axe, you need to press 'G' to go to your gear menu. Then right click on the axe down the bottom in your tool belt to move it from your tool belt to your main weapon slot. Once that is done, you have to press 'R' to reload (I know, this part is a little silly), before you can actually swing the axe melee style.

This game has a steep learning curve for the novice. But once you get a handle of the basics, your should be good to go. Then your experience will exponentially get better with the game.

Sig created by Juganort

Last edited by maddog2204; 28th July 2012 at 05:29 PM.
maddog2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1616

Lurking

One of the best starting points: A Beginners Guide - DayZ Wiki

Second, whenever you spawn, go north, if you go to Elektro or even worse Cherno you are Bandit Bait.

Head north, raid some deer stands and find a weapon.

This map will help you, learn how to identify where you are (when you first spawn it will tell you at the bottom right what area you are in):
DayZ Map - DayZDB
Old 28th July 2012, 07:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
BF Game Op
Competent - Post: 268

Buzzed

[QUOTE=Rotty;3601713]
QUOTE]

78 kills in one night with a Hatchet (axe) and silent, its the best weapon in game
sneak sneak sneak Hatchet to the back of the head
I felt like a real badass nothing like face to face instead of lying under a tree for two hours waiting for somebody to come along so that you can shoot them from 1000m.
Old 28th July 2012, 08:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 502

sry people but the axes I found were not pick upable. I don't mind hard but I'm presuming those people who say its easy to find things have either been playing for ages or perhaps used other ways of finding things.
I have been into quite a few places and found a total of 2 clips of ammo oh and some tin cans wooppee
If they are going for realism then you should be at least able to hit things with your hands and there should be pieces of wood or branches, something at least.

I'm glad that some of you seem to find the game enjoyable but
I can't see the fun in spending 3 hours moving around and finding nothing.
If the only way to play the game is to research on the net then to me theres no point in playing. I guess I'll pop in now and then and see if its become a game I can enjoy and if not I'll right off the money spent as another lesson into not buying a game until I've done more research and tried a demo.

Good luck all and don't die too much
Rotty is offline   Reply With Quote