The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   DayZ and ArmA (Public) (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/dayz-arma-public/)
-   -   questions from a noob (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/dayz-arma-public/446913-questions-noob.html)

Dressy 1st August 2012 08:14 PM

questions from a noob

1) When I press M for map, nothing shows.Why?

2) Why does it take so long loading/character building to get into a game?

3) I have a pretty good machine, but it appears ARMA is very high performance intensive, no?

MrMuggles 1st August 2012 08:22 PM

1) Because your character doesn't have a map. Once you find one the map will show when you press M.

2 & 3) That's normal.

K3nks 1st August 2012 09:22 PM

2) after you create your first character (and if you don't die) when you load it will be a bit quicker. Initial Character creation is a bit slow as it has to pull the info for your character (such as location, gear and stats) from the hive servers.

3) There are graphics fixes coming in the latest patch, and its still an alpha. Check your video settings and have a play around for best performance.

Dayzed 1st August 2012 09:34 PM

3 - I was playing with settings today and found the following:
In game go to video option then click the advanced tab
Set atos to all trees only (second last option)
Set object detail to low, this mostly affects grass and gave me about 10fps boost
Turn off post effects this also gives about a 10fps boost
If you do a search there are quite a lot of information on optimizing arma/day z but I found these made the biggest difference for me.
Also to view your frame rate in game you'll need a recording program like fraps or dxtory.

Dressy 1st August 2012 11:30 PM

You guys rock. Thanks for the tips, will try tomorrow.

Beavis 1st August 2012 11:48 PM

I run this map on my second monitor (I'm a noobie to the game)

DayZ Map - DayZDB

Once you work out where you are it's easy to follow

HamiHarr 1st August 2012 11:55 PM

3) I use MSI afterburner for tweaking the clock speed a little and it also gives a nice unobtrusive temp/fps view in-game.

Eventually I had to put my settings pretty low. My machine isn't that new anymore (G73JW), but it does feel like I only bought it yesterday.:sad:

Noises 2nd August 2012 02:10 AM

Turning off shadows not only boots your performance, it also gives you the same edge everyone is using against you. It makes people easier to see and reduces the load on the GPU.

If the game looks all fuzzy make sure you've put the setting the 3D resolution to the same as the interface resolution. BIG difference.

K3nks 2nd August 2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noises (Post 3606716)
If the game looks all fuzzy make sure you've put the setting the 3D resolution to the same as the interface resolution. BIG difference.

This is the first thing I did!

I will try turning the shadows off, although I don't have any issues with performance.

Dressy 2nd August 2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beavis (Post 3606568)
I run this map on my second monitor (I'm a noobie to the game)

DayZ Map - DayZDB

Once you work out where you are it's easy to follow

On the map, where is the starting point please?