Old 7th August 2012, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1616

Lurking
Default Fraps & DayZ

Hi,

Just wondering what settings you run to record DayZ with FRAPS.

What key did you bind recording to?

How much space are you using for your recordings?

Old 7th August 2012, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 539

I use PlayClaw to record, I did experiment with Fraps before making that choice but I found that it had way fewer options and the file sizes were a lot bigger.. so I went with PlayClaw.

To give you an idea of file sizes... around 40 mins of DayZ is about 8.5Gb recorded at 1920x1080 @30 fps. However, this was at night... I wouldn't be surprised if the compression (MJPEG) is no where near as good during the day. With Fraps... I'm betting it's going to be heaps higher cause as far as I can tell it outputs it pretty much raw.
Old 7th August 2012, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
And I don't have the excuse of Rabies
Ace - Post: 9879 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Fine

These are my settings:

The files can get very large. I went a bought a 2T drive just to store my raw FRAPS footage while recording. For 1.5 hours of recorded footage, my file sizes are around 200G.
30 mins of recorded footage, can be 60G upwards.

Once I finish recording, I get rid of the files where there was no action. The ones I want, I go and create the clips I want with Sony Vegas, and then dump the raw file once I am finished with it.

The "Full Size" setting will give you HD results. But if you are concerned about file size, then go with "half size", and you could even reduce the FPS number to record at, to reduce the amount of data recorded. The end result will be that your video will not be as detailed in picture quality.

The reason I use Num+ for recording, is that I use TrackIR for freelook and zoom. You may wish to consider an alternative hotkey, as the Num+ key is the zoom key in Arma 2, and could cause problems if you use that key often to zoom. Your recording will be constantly stopping and starting.

Sig created by Juganort

Last edited by maddog2204; 7th August 2012 at 04:50 PM.
maddog2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lurking

Thanks for the help! I might checkout Play Claw and see how that goes.

I also might have a play around with Key combo to start & stop. Thanks!
Old 7th August 2012, 05:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 742

Cynical

i like to use MSI Afterburner, this program doesnt kill your FPS like Fraps does.
i record games at 80% quality 720p and 35 frames/sec, and an hour of recording takes upto 15gb of space

here is a sample of the video on these settings

Last edited by 1R0NS1DE; 7th August 2012 at 06:04 PM.
1R0NS1DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

I use Bandicam for all my recordings. Bandicam usually compresses reasonably well but I also usually run the files through HandBrake with custom settings for YouTube afterwards to get the file size even smaller.

I chose Bandicam over Fraps because of the compression; the ability to record the screen as well as applications; and that it didn't impact my FPS too much.

While recording DayZ I did run into some problems with recording so I wound back my version and haven't had the issue since.

A half hour recording at 720P, 25fps is usually about 3 to 4 Gb. Once they are processed through HandBrake the files are usually between 600 and 700 Mb. To put this in perspective, the files recorded from Bandicam are about 10% the size from Fraps. The Handbrake processed files are about 2% the size of the Fraps files.

I've used Bandicam for over a year now and love it.
Old 7th August 2012, 09:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1190

Relaxed

I'm with ironside with this one.
I use MSI Afterburner too... also use a French program called Handbrake to do compression to MP4 so i can upload to Youtube. The settings can be modified so that the quality is better, the first one i did was just standard default settings. I opened handbrake, loaded the file and just compressed - didn't come out too badly.

this was 1360X768 res (i modify my BF3 ui to bring my mpa closer to the centre of my screen... as my screen is 32 inches) and done with the default settings - it was a 2 gig file compressed in 271MB for youtube upload.

Pxs

EDIT: whoops... url for handbrake is http://handbrake.fr

Last edited by Primexes; 7th August 2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: url
Primexes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 09:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
And I don't have the excuse of Rabies
Ace - Post: 9879 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

Fine

I switched to Afterburner from FRAPS for a while when I was playing BF3 also. Afterburner is a great free program. The only problem I had with it, was that it only records 1 sound source. You can either have it record your mic, and no in-game sound, or vice versa.

I found it frustrating that only half of the conversations in my videos were being recorded. Hence I went back to FRAPS so I can record both my mic AND in-game sounds. Performance wise, I found FRAPS to cause a lot of input lag when playing BF3 for me. Afterburner was not as bad, but there was still an element of input lag.
I get no such issues in Arma 2 / DayZ with FRAPS, hence why I use that. File size is not an issue for me since I added the extra hard drive. Plus I like to record in HD.

Sig created by Juganort
maddog2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 08:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog2204 View Post
Afterburner is a great free program. The only problem I had with it, was that it only records 1 sound source. You can either have it record your mic, and no in-game sound, or vice versa.
Yeah, I found the same thing. There are however some workarounds, but, they are a bit rough. Basically you can use Windows to output your mic back through your speakers so it records in Afterburner. Allegedly you won't really notice feedback cause the delay between talking and hearing your own voice is so small. I never tried it because I was prepared to pay money for a better solution... but if you're after a free option, this is probably worth a shot.

Re: Bandicam... I tried this as well and I dunno. I just felt the quality of the videos were better from Fraps and Playclaw. It also would crash my machine when I changed some of the compression settings so I gave up experimenting in the end. Probably nothing wrong with it, I just couldn't get it working how I wanted in a reasonable amount of time. =)
Old 8th August 2012, 10:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Lurking

So many choices! Argh! Might have to try a couple and figure it out.