Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Digital Distribution & Game Applications

Digital Distribution & Game Applications Games distributed via On-Line Stores

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14th June 2009, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

Default Steam S.T.A.L.K.E.R. queries

For those who have the Steam version of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, I'd like to know what version of the game you have and what country you're in.

To find out what version you have, start the game and look at the main screen bottom-left. Different parts of the world have different official listed patches.

cheers
ned
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14th June 2009, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1515

Devilish

original version, unpatched(i think), Australia.

Oh uninstalled too.

“There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics.”
"Subvert the dominant paradigm"
ticklenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

1.0005 showing here Ned.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 12:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Ions View Post
1.0005 showing here Ned.
I was afraid of that. The last offical patch was actually 1.0006. It appeared on the GSC Game World FTP but not all of the offical sites in the various languages host it, which is rather strange. GSC Game World is the Ukrainian company that developed STALKER. It also hosts the offical game sites. For example, the russian site has the patch but the english one doesn't. The russian and english readme files are the same.

I don't know what would happen if you tried to update the Steam version of STALKER with the world-wide version of 1.0006 that was found on the GSC Game World FTP.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback

edit: the 1.0006 patch contains multiplayer fixes and additions ONLY so it's only required for online play. There's no need to even want this patch if you're only interested in the singleplayer.

Last edited by Ned; 16th June 2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 16th June 2009, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

I thought I'd read somewhere that the 1.0006 wasn't officially released by the publisher (or apparently it was released, then it was withdrawn either due to issues, or a developer / publisher falling out), which is why it has never gotten to steam.

Came across the following post which purports to make the 1.0006 patch work on steam version.
GameSpot Forums - PC & Mac Games - How to patch [STEAM] STALKER to 1.0006
Not tried it myself. Don't know whether it would be viewed as technically breaking the licence agreement or not and considering the growing value of my steam account and how little I've even played the single player - likely won't bother trying it.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator

Here's the official russian site translated
Google Translate | http://www.stalker-game.com/ru - downloads - updates

The english versions were released (it appeared on the GSC Game World FTP; Russian, US, and world-wide version) but for some reason never hit their english official site even though they are both hosted by GSC Game World. I guess they released it in Russia first due to it being made there. From that point for some unknown reason they didn't want to share the love! One thing I do know is each patch broke the huge number of mods available for this game and many complained of this. Maybe due to this and the fact that 99% of players mainly play the singleplayer game AND the fact that the 1.0006 patch is solely a multiplayer patch, they didn't bother adding it to the english (and other) sites... maybe they got sick of the tears

More proof that this patch is offical is the inclusion of the BattlEye anti-cheat system.
BattlEye - The Anti-Cheat Engine

FYI, if you see a 1.0007 patch going around, this is a community made patch ie NOT official.

I still don't know why Steam aren't patching STALKER to 1.0006

The Steam version of Doom 3 is patched to 1.3.1 when the official site (when it was up) only ever mentioned v1.3. The later patch (v1.3.1) was released by id software and appeared on their FTP.

Quote:
Download links:
ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/doom3/win32/DOOM3-1.3.1.exe
ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/doom3/macosx/Doom3Mac1.3.1RevA.dmg
ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/doom3/linux/doom3-linux-1.3.1.1304.x86.run
ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/doom3/source/ (SDKs in subdirectories)

http://zerowing.idsoftware.com:6969/ for the various torrents
SOURCE: Blue's News: .plan File
Old 16th June 2009, 11:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5240

Tired

From what I can gather, 1.000000000000000000006 is an "unofficial" patch. It was made by GSC, but THQ pulled some power play over the company and recalled it. Since the latest "offical" patch from THQ is 1.000000005, that is the version on Steam.

Some good news though,
GameSpot Forums - PC & Mac Games - How to patch [STEAM] STALKER to 1.0006
Jigoku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 12:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator

read the last two posts you crazy man!
Old 17th June 2009, 07:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5240

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
I still don't know why Steam aren't patching STALKER to 1.0006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigoku View Post
Since the latest "official" patch from THQ is 1.000000005, that is the version on Steam.
I figured the question hadn't been answered ...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I just saw that TI posted exactly the same link I did ... ooops ... =p
Jigoku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 05:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator

The 1.0006 patch is offical but only landed on the russian official game site. The only difference between it and the english versions and other languages is the actual languages. This is the reason why in my original post I asked for version and country details. Do Steam games globally have the same versions in all of there games? If you were to only go by the official game sites then russians would potentially have Steam version 1.0006 and Australians would have v1.0005

Steam in the past has looked further than offical sites to find out the latest versions for the games they host. Steam updates Doom 3 to 1.3.1 even though the offical site only ever mentioned v1.3

-see post #6 for more detail-