Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Digital Distribution & Game Applications

Digital Distribution & Game Applications Games distributed via On-Line Stores

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26th October 2009, 11:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2187

Fine

I'm with you ned. I've got them all and finished none. I even brought the orange box again for the PS3 to see if i'd get to play them more but no. I can't put my finger on why as well, (possibly my skill level)
Let me know how you do, although i have a ever growing list of games i haven't completed.

George is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26th October 2009, 01:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

Quote:
Originally Posted by shock_ View Post
You know it's okay not to get into a game that is popular with most people. Certainly no different to other forms of art / entertainment.
Totally undertsand and agree!
(eg. imo CSS & COD4:MW are the most overrated FPS games in history)

I just want to make sure I'm giving it a good chance. One last run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shock_ View Post
HL and HL2 are puzzle games wrapped in narrative and fps. As such, I reckon they are done very well. I believe people responded to Portal because it hit the same buttons. Have you played that?
No I haven't played Portal... heard many good things about that game also.
I've added to my 'maybe to play' list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
I've only played through the three Half-Life 2 games, haven't played the original Half-Life series - I'm waiting for the community-created Black Mesa project (due out later this year) to experience the earlier part of the story.
From the feedback you've heard on the original Half-Life, do you feel as though you had a reduced impact while playing the sequel?

Black Mesa looks great!
Quote:
Black Mesa is the Half-Life 2 total conversion of the original Half-Life game.
Quote:
Black Mesa was built and founded on the principle that Half-Life: Source did not do the original title enough credit, regardless of the true intentions laid out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post

Let me know how you do ...
Will do!
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 01:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
From the feedback you've heard on the original Half-Life, do you feel as though you had a reduced impact while playing the sequel?
From the perspective of the story, no - but that's because I read a lot about the basic plot from HL, watched some gameplay videos, etc.
Old 26th October 2009, 03:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25503

Amused

You're not alone Ned.

One night I was bored, loaded up HL2. Since I'd bought it (the orange box) I might as well play it right? I got through for a while. There were a few bits I thought were really cool; but a whole lot more that was really boring. Once I reached a puzzle where I was stuck on for a little bit I gave up. Next day I cleared it off my HDD as wasted space.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 03:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 545

Chatty

HL2 was my fav outta all of them..although they were all good in their own way and stuff..and yet like so many others..I cant go back to the game after beating it lol. I have tried on several occasions and I start..do the first like 10 minutes then turn it off due to boredom.
Old 26th October 2009, 05:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3871

Scared

If you didnt play it 10 years ago on a voodoo2 or equivalent you missed the boat, no hope for you now. Give it to someone who would enjoy it.

Bikkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 05:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikkies View Post
If you didnt play it 10 years ago on a voodoo2 or equivalent you missed the boat, no hope for you now.
I recently played the 1999 expansion to Unreal and loved it!
Gameplay outweighs graphics in my gaming world
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 10:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1619

Amused

I would agree that playing the original then 2 then the stupidly designed episodic(shoulda made a full game valve ) series does make a big difference. I have yet to play a fps game whose storyline is close to it. Its gameplay is very easy and simplistic though. Portal on the other hand will go down in history as a absolute cracker of a game.
Old 27th October 2009, 09:06 AM   #19 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 545

Chatty

Portal will go down in history as one of the greatest games...my mates love it its the only reason they went and got the orange box haha. And its got heaps of replay value(beaten it 3 times now)
Old 27th October 2009, 01:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 2173

Fine

I love the whole series, and have played the lot all the way through.
Halflife, oposing force, blue shift.... all of it.
The storyline makes it work, but the hl2 graphics blew me away too when it first came out (looks a bit meh now though)