Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Digital Distribution & Game Applications

Digital Distribution & Game Applications Games distributed via On-Line Stores

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15th June 2010, 08:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
Team Fortress 2
Dangerous - Post: 938

Lurking

I've had it preordered for a while and it's good to see a few TOGs are getting it too.
Bring on tomorrow!
Spice. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15th June 2010, 08:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Ended up picking it up to have a look. As Drac pointed out it's a cheap way to get a feel for it - hell of a lot cheaper than buying all those physical cards.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 11:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Star Trek Captain
Lethal - Post: 5185

Sleepy

Pre-ordered MtG

Enjoyed the original. See how this one goes.
Old 16th June 2010, 12:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
All Knowing - Post: 16441

Cool

Magic (card game) at tournament level was extremely deep and strategic; Deck Construction was a real art - but unfortunately it suffered to ruthless marketing strategies that made the game to expensive, for many, to be worthwhile competing. You'd have to buy heaps of cards to stay level.

Sealed Deck and Booster Draft tournaments were where it was at, for me - relatively cheap way of playing some balanced games.

The biggest hurdle it has/had for becoming a decent game is the luck factor. In Poker, for example, you just bow out if you have a shitty deal - in Magic, you were stuck with it. No matter how good your deck was, you could draw a stuff that rendered your deck practically useless against a weaker deck.
Old 17th June 2010, 12:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1397

Mellow

Well, got it, played it.

I didn't expect too much for $10, however it is disappointing.

Deck building: Ok, I wouldn't expect the full deal in a game like this, but the way you add extra cards and it auto adds lands is terrible, gives rubbish results.

Challenges: These are good, but relatively simple if you've ever played magic beyond a real basic level. If you haven't got much experience or are completely new, they possibly could seem difficult and don't help you to learn the subtleties some of them may require.

Single Player Gameplay: I find some of the timers are very short, it can be difficult to time certain plays correctly. Lands are auto tapped, not necessarily the ones you wanted to tap in multi colour situations.

Multi Player: Buggy, matchmaking system, had a hard time getting a game.

Co-op: Apparently it's hot seat only or some such deal by the whining on the forums, can't say I've looked at it.

Not a good product in my opinion, even the old dos based game still plays better than this Wouldn't recomend it even as a basic introduction to magic.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Brootal666

Last edited by Brootal; 17th June 2010 at 12:14 PM.
Brootal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 07:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7441

Yeehaw

I've been thinking the exact Opposite Brootal. Well, the old DOS game is still good, but I relly like this one too.

For $10, it's been a fantastic and very fun re-introduction to the game for me. I like the way everyone is limited to fixed decks with optional unlockable cards, it levels things out much more kinda like a class system in an MMO. The decks are all built for certain kinds of play, some are meant for fast wins, others really open up in the late game when you have a lot of land in play. There's lots to explore here. The strategic heart of the game is still very much there, and that's all I really wanted.

Perhaps not the best fit for hardcore magic players who just want a carbon copy digital version of the CCG, but hell, you can play the real CCG online with a webcam if you really want to. As for not being able to manually tap lands, I haven't noticed any major issues. Land choice is predictable based on what stage of the game you're in. In any stage it will always pay attention to your hand and try to keep mana types for casting what spells you have available. If you're in the main phase it will place higher preference on keeping mana for summoning spells, in a combat phase it will place higher preference on keeping mana for instant or interrupt spells. At least that's the way it seems to do it.

I didn't have any issues with multiplayer. It's all integrated into steam, you can join/invite friends that way, was easy and worked like a charm. It also makes use of steam VOIP, but there's a big delay. If you're using you own 3rd party program like Teamspaeak, Ventrilo or Mumble then make sure you don't map the same key as your steam > settings > voice key or you'll get a delayed repeat.

The lack of online co-op is annoying I agree, I hope they add that in a patch. Apart from that I thought the single player campaign was a tad short. They could have done a lot more with that but *shrug*, for $10 I really can't complain. I'm sure to get plenty of hours of play form it.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 11:12 AM   #17 (permalink)

Retired Administrator
Retired Administrator
All Knowing - Post: 16441

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
.. for hardcore magic players who just want a carbon copy digital version of the CCG, but hell, you can play the real CCG online with a webcam if you really want to..
Or, they can play Magic Online, which IS a carbon copy digital version of the paper game. And it's just as expensive....
Old 18th June 2010, 02:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1397

Mellow

hah, I tried to click the co-op button and got told to plug in an extra controller, you need an xbox controller on your pc to play co-op?

Anyway, I have an MTGO online account, but I don't play that much for various reasons, I didn't really care about the online component of the game, but co-op would have been cool.

My primary concerns are this game really seems like an introduction to magic, but completely fails to teach you how to play. For instance, some of the challenges, the timing of the play of cards is critical, but nowhere is this timing adequately explained. Teaching a new player about deck creation is also an important part of the game, while I didn't expect a full build your own deck experience, something like swapping cards in or out rather than just adding more new cards plus land to create a 90 card monstrosity.

Auto-tap is a pain to me, forever tapping the land I don't want it too and with not much sense, take one of the challenges, you've got something like 3G 3B, you've got a number of green cards and one black card requiring B2. play the black card first, guess what, it taps 2B 1G, why leave a black open when you've only got Green cards in hand. It makes similar mistakes in games.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Brootal666
Brootal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 06:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 974

Asleep

hmmm. Grabbed the demo of this but it's sounding like a mixed bag. Haven't played it since 1995 so no expectations whatsoever
Old 19th August 2010, 10:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 974

Asleep

Now I'm really not expecting much. Launching the game takes me to the steam page and stops there. Is there an alternative to launching content?