The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Digital Distribution & Game Applications (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/digital-distribution-game-applications/)
-   -   Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/digital-distribution-game-applications/303329-magic-gathering-duels-planeswalkers.html)

Drac 12th June 2010 04:18 PM

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers

Anyone else thinking about getting this, for $10 it seems like good multiplayer time killer.

Pre-purchase Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers on Steam

You also get the first expansion free if you pre-purchase, whatever that is.

I used to play a bit of magic way back, it's probably been about a decade since I've touched a deck, but I always enjoyed the game's format and play style. Like every good and addictive game it's easy to learn but difficult to master. Would be keen on going a few rounds online with some TOGers in this rendition.

From what I understand it doesn't offer full deck customisation like the real world CCG, but to be honest I always liked this game better when it wasn't about "who paid for all the super-rare kick ass cards".

Seems to be a lot of game modes too. Offline co-op (hotseat type play I assume), online 2, 3 and 4 way battles as well as 2 vs 2. I'm not sure if you can play 2 player co-op versus the AI online though. I'm guessing most of the fun from this kind of game will come from the smack talk over voice comms.

The only real downside I can see is that it was designed to be a 360 game first, but it's not a shooter, I don't see how you could screw up the controls for a video based CCG.

IGN review of the 360 version here:

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers Review - Xbox 360 Review at IGN

And a TSR video review for those textually challanged folk:

Post up if you're thinking about picking this up.

impulse 13th June 2010 07:04 PM

You've got to be kidding - RPG's moved beyond cards, board and dice years ago.

The only people that still play these also still wear t-shirts with unicorns on them, a LOTRO gold ring and happy pants. :p

Drac 13th June 2010 07:21 PM

Most Dice, Board and Card based games are not RPGs.

But that's ok, I understand these things can be intimidating. You'd best stick to the games that fool you into thinking you're some kind of of invincible or respawning rambo and all you have to do is point and click. Someone like you should get decades of entertainment out of that routine. There's no need to bother yourself with any of these complicated strategy gamey things.

:p

impulse 13th June 2010 07:58 PM

I have indeed obtained a decade of pleasure out of simple point-and-shoots. And this game is certainly beyond me; the mere act of rolling a dice requires much mental exhaustion on my part. :(

Drac 13th June 2010 08:23 PM

There aren't any dice in Magic. You should check it out, you might like it.

Thermal Ions 13th June 2010 08:29 PM

Never played Magic, in fact never played any of these type of "card" based games - so don't really have any idea if it's something I'd enjoy. :confused:

impulse 13th June 2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drac (Post 2814618)
There aren't any dice in Magic. You should check it out, you might like it.

Yea, I'm just stirring mate. I used to play it school, in fact I still have a lot of the magic cards still buried somewhere in a box.

Drac 13th June 2010 08:58 PM

It's $10 thermal, worth a gamble really. If you like turn based strategy games that have simple rules yet lots of nuisance and depth then you'll probably like this.

impulse 13th June 2010 09:02 PM

If other TOGgers get it, I definitely will. My attempt at getting TOGgers onto Alien Breen: Impact evidently hasn't worked. :(

Drac 13th June 2010 09:04 PM

I looked at Alien Breed, but it was only 2 player Co-op. :(

If it was 4 player I\'d be all over it, but it\'s just not the kind of game I\'d enjoy playing solo and 2 player co-op always seems lacking.

This at least has 4 player free for all and 2 v 2 modes.