The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Digital Distribution & Game Applications (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/digital-distribution-game-applications/)
-   -   New GameArena Steam Content Servers? No... (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/digital-distribution-game-applications/308386-new-gamearena-steam-content-servers-no.html)

King_Rocket 12th July 2010 12:50 AM

New GameArena Steam Content Servers? No...

Edit: I may have been tricked.

Steam Network Status indicates 5 GA servers but is dated September 18 2006 and Steam: Game and Player Statistics report the standard two. :oops:

Quote:

GameArena now host 5 steam content servers over the old 2 (Edit the news seem to be "filtered" so they will only be reachable by Bigpond customers, good news for some of us bad news for everyone else I guess.)

Steam Network Status

Maybe the reason that the files section that was over at bigpond was discontinued (grrr) was to free up servers for this update.

Anyone got the ips for these new servers?

Drac 12th July 2010 05:10 AM

I wish more ISPs would do this. Steam has massive bandwidth demands and hosting content servers for users on your own network ought to be cheap. It's just a file server. If it prevents just a dozen customers being annoyed that they have to decide between browsing youtube or downloading a game that month then it's probably paid it's worth in building customer loyalty.

Jigoku 12th July 2010 08:54 AM

The five GA servers existed "back in the day" when they were using 32-bit servers. Due to limitations they could only host 2GB of content on each server. They have now switched to 64-bit servers, where, assuming they provide enough hard drive space, each server could host ALL the content available on Steam.

Bikkies 12th July 2010 07:24 PM

What is the total file size of the game catalog Steam has?

Mixa... 12th July 2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikkies (Post 2842204)
What is the total file size of the game catalog Steam has?

I believe the technical term is HUGE

MadMax 12th July 2010 10:15 PM

Well I found at least 5,000 application ids in steam, so if they averaged just 2Gb per game, that comes in at 10,000 Gb for starters.

Jigoku 12th July 2010 11:08 PM

A 64 bit server can provide 8 Exabytes of content =p

Unknown 13th July 2010 03:51 PM

Though it very much depends on storage technology used (file system, etc.) as some have limits below 8 EB (depending on the implementation/circumstances). :p

Drac 14th July 2010 02:40 PM

I'm confused. Why is everyone talking about server space limits, since when did networks have a size limit?

Unknown 14th July 2010 03:22 PM

"Networks" != "Servers" - the discussion's a minor tangent from the whole GA Steam content server query :)

(If you want to get technical, networks do have a size limit - just ask customers with smaller ISPs who over-commit their network capacity.)