Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Digital Distribution & Game Applications

Digital Distribution & Game Applications Games distributed via On-Line Stores

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:22 PM   #31 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7441

Yeehaw

Cut and paste/type the following into the console (one line at a time)..

Code:
alias FPS "firstperson; asw_hide_marine 1; asw_controls 0"
bind "v" FPS
Gives you this:

Last edited by Drac; 22nd July 2010 at 12:30 PM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22nd July 2010, 11:33 PM   #32 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Wow, hadn't imagined that was possible. Definitely playable by the looks and would tend to be harder having lost the constant 360 view of knowing what's really happening behind you.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:42 PM   #33 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2068

Lurking

Oh, sorry, that was me behind you...

I cannot seem to get the console up ;o(

Pressing the ` key didn't work??

postcount=++
SnakeTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:24 AM   #34 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeTails View Post
I cannot seem to get the console up ;o(

Pressing the ` key didn't work??
Go into Options --> Keyboard/Mouse and then tick the box "Enable Developer Console"
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:33 AM   #35 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead

Yeehaw

I wonder how long it'll take someone to port the L4D assets over the this engine/format?

Is it just a coincidence that there are 8 L4D characters and 8 character classes in Alien Swarm?

Or perhaps a co-op version of HL2. It's petty awesome of a company to release something like this with mod tools for free. It's like Valve are saying "We're too busy with Portal 2 so we'll just let you finish this one for yourselves".

Last edited by Drac; 23rd July 2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:37 AM   #36 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5240

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
I wonder how long it'll take someone to port the L4D assets over the this engine/format?
I reckon this may be the intention here:
Zombie Swarm - Official Development Thread - Steam Users' Forums
Jigoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 02:31 PM   #37 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead

Yeehaw

Yeah, although the % of Mod projects that actually get started is pretty small, fewer still ever make it to a release. I thought using L4D content would increase the chance of a mod seeing the light of day as the biggest hurdle, asset creation, is already done in terms of: props, textures, visual & lighting style, effects, animations, audio ect ect.

I wonder how moddable this game is though - I haven't looked at the SDK tools myself yet. I know you can use the base Source Engine SDK to do just about anything as you can link in compiled C++ code, but with Valve's actual "games" you're usually very limited in what's moddable to just Map content. You can't mod gameplay, characters, enemies, weapons ect like you can with other moddable FPS games like UT3, Doom 3, Crysis, Starcraft 2 and so on. Well, apparently you can mod weapons and characters with L4D2, I hope that's available to modders without using strange "hacks" in AS as well.

Is anyone here poking around in the AS SDK? I don't have time to look at it much myself at the moment but would be keen to hear about it.
Old 23rd July 2010, 04:06 PM   #38 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3619

Quote:
I just hope Valve aren't giving us a glimpse in to the future, that the Alien Swarm lobby system is how we can in future expect Portal 2, L4D and L4D2 lobbies to operate (I'm referring here to the AS approach of connecting to or hosting a server first, then creating the lobby, rather than the other way around as in L4D/L4D2).

Quote:
Or perhaps a co-op version of HL2.
Like Synergy?

Quote:
It's petty awesome of a company to release something like this with mod tools for free. It's like Valve are saying "We're too busy with Portal 2 so we'll just let you finish this one for yourselves".
It is - though I hope Valve complete the (currently missing) fundamental infrastructure elements for dedicated servers before they move on (ie., no Linux dedicated server, Windows dedicated server by default is limited to LAN-only with no Steam connectivity, etc.).
Old 23rd July 2010, 08:23 PM   #39 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
I just hope Valve aren't giving us a glimpse in to the future, that the Alien Swarm lobby system is how we can in future expect Portal 2, L4D and L4D2 lobbies to operate (I'm referring here to the AS approach of connecting to or hosting a server first, then creating the lobby, rather than the other way around as in L4D/L4D2).
Interesting comment. I've seen others post that they see the way AS does it as a positive. Haven't really though about it much myself, but it would enable server camping I suppose if there's no timeout.

Playing:
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:26 PM   #40 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Lurking

Want to add MP bots? You can, courtesy of fox Unit 01 over at Black Cat forum.
Adding bots to MP via console - Black Cat Forums

I've copied below the cfg he created to make it convenient, but go read the post if you're interested. Yet to try it out myself.

Quote:
//foxBot.cfg - this binds bot-adding commands to keypad numbers
//Keypad 1-8 add bots (in order of Sarge, Wildcat, etc. through Vegas), and also select your marine if none is selected
//Keypad . (DEL) removes all bots
//To use, simply place this in your swarm\cfg folder and do "exec foxBot.cfg"

//Useful tips:
//-- Should you switch to another marine, the bot will hold position and cover the angle you left them facing when you switched. Thus, to have a marine cover, say, a doorway, simply move him to a good position facing the door, and switch to another marine. (this is classic AS2k4 behavior)
//-- Bots must be ordered manually to use equipment like medical satchels, turrets, etc. Get familiar with giving equipment orders and switching marines on-the-fly if you are going to use them effectively. The Offline Practice level is, actually, great practice for this.
//-- It should be noted that bots DO use the Medical Gun automatically, but giving manual equipment orders is more reliable. I personally prefer the med satchel when commanding a bot medic.
//-- Also, make sure bots have ammo for their weapons. If they run out of ammo, they will run around punching aliens, which gets them killed damned quick on Hard or Insane.

//Notes:
//-- Bots seem to handle all the levels just fine, even including parts like the Deima bridge crossing (they hold fire formations well).
//-- When a player leaves (or is kicked from) a lobby, his/her bots will leave as well.
//-- Bots can be added by game joiners. However, new players can still join, and once the lobby fills up, all bots will be automatically kicked and none will be able to be added.
//-- You do not gain any EXP from bot kills and bots simply share your level.

//Known MP bot bugs:
//-- Bots sometimes do not leave correctly when new players join until the lobby fills up to 4 players, as mentioned above - if you don't have a full lobby joining, use Keypad . (DEL) to remove them and make room (this is being looked into)
//-- Anyone giving a "hold" or "go" order will order all bots, regardless of rather he/she "owns" them or not - however, equipment orders and marine switching work as intended
//-- Attempting to change marines ends up changing one of your bots instead - just remove all bots and then add the marine bots you want via the keypad

bind "KP_END" "cl_selectm 0 -1"
bind "KP_DOWNARROW" "cl_selectm 1 -1"
bind "KP_PGDN" "cl_selectm 2 -1"
bind "KP_LEFTARROW" "cl_selectm 3 -1"
bind "KP_5" "cl_selectm 4 -1"
bind "KP_RIGHTARROW" "cl_selectm 5 -1"
bind "KP_HOME" "cl_selectm 6 -1"
bind "KP_UPARROW" "cl_selectm 7 -1"
bind "KP_DEL" "cl_dselectm 0; cl_dselectm 1; cl_dselectm 2; cl_dselectm 3; cl_dselectm 4; cl_dselectm 5; cl_dselectm 6; cl_dselectm 7; cl_dselectm 8"
echo "Keypad 1 - Sarge"
echo "Keypad 2 - Wildcat"
echo "Keypad 3 - Faith"
echo "Keypad 4 - Crash"
echo "Keypad 5 - Jaeger"
echo "Keypad 6 - Wolfe"
echo "Keypad 7 - Bastille"
echo "Keypad 8 - Vegas"
echo "Keypad . - Remove all bots"
EDIT: Tested and works pretty well. Use F1, F2 etc (up to the number of bots you've added) to switch control between each one.

Playing:

Last edited by Thermal Ions; 24th July 2010 at 03:27 PM.