Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Digital Distribution & Game Applications

Digital Distribution & Game Applications Games distributed via On-Line Stores

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18th August 2010, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3280

Brooding
Default HELP: Steam on Mac without administrator rights

I installed Steam on my work MacBook Pro yesterday to test it out. However, since I am not allowed to have administrator rights on this computer I have to install software in my personal folder. This worked fine and Steam installed fine after dragging the install Steam icon to this folder. (It is extremely weird to install something by just dragging it to the folder you want it installed in).

Anyway, I downloaded chapter 2 of Tales of Monkey Island, but when I tried to start it up a window popped up and shut down and popped up and shut down in an eternal loop. Had to force quit steam to make it stop. Braid wouldn't start since it said I have to hav Steam installed.

I found the location of the Steamapps folder and it is in My personal folder/Library/Application Support. I installed Steam in My personal folder/Applications.

So it seems that having Steam and the Steamapps folder i two different places doesn't work. I am not sure why the games didn't download to the folder where I installed Steam. So my question: Does anyone have a solution on how to install Steam successfully on a Mac without administrator rights?

Old 18th August 2010, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5240

Tired

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...4670-IOGV-2636

Does that help? Install under User folder rather than Applications.
Jigoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Brooding

Well yeah that's what I meant actually. I did install it in my user folder, but I put a folder in there that I named Applications.

But then the downloaded games ended up somewhere else. I am really no good with this Mac stuff. Maybe I should ask in the Mac forum in the laboratory.
Old 19th August 2010, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7441

Yeehaw

Downloaded game files should be stored in ~Documents/Steam Content/

Check the permissions of those files. You'll probably need admin rights to change the permissions if they're inaccessible though.

Why don't you have an admin account?

The main reason for them not to give you any kind of admin account is to stop you from installing certain kinds of software in the first place, which include installing Steam as it needs to perform system tasks that require admin rights. So, um, yeah... I dunno. You might need to get the admin user to install it for you. Sadly, all steam client updates will probably need admin privileges too so it might be a pain no matter what you do.

You could always grab a copy of OS-X Snow Leopard for like $35 from JB-HiFi and re-install the OS

Last edited by Drac; 19th August 2010 at 10:02 AM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Brooding

Well, the reason they don't give me admin access is that they have an image with a whole software suite they install on the computers here. And all the computers sync over the internal network to apply any updates available to any of the software. So if there are changes made it will stuff things up. ...or something like that. The IT support guy told me I can ask him to install software for me, but I don't really think it would be appreciated to ask him to install Steam.

Oh well, it should keep me from wasting time on my work computer...

I did by the ultimate Indie game pack a few months back and that was released for PC, Pac and Linux. So I can test out those. I don't think they will stress the hardware much though.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7441

Yeehaw

I see. In that case ask him to install a bootcamp partition that you can install your own copy of Windows on, then you can run steam on windows and access to all your games on your MBP. Having a separate partition shouldn't effect the setup they have for software updates and Apple provide a complete set of Windows hardware drivers for Macbook Pros, quite a seamless experience really.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 03:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Brooding

That's a good idea Drac. They do sell copies of Win7 Ultimate upgrade here at UQ for $25. I wonder if an upgrade disc would work or if I need to purchase an OEM version... Does 64bit work on MacBooks?
Old 19th August 2010, 08:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4591

Cheerful

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit on my Mid 2009 Macbook Pro 13". Should run fine on your 2010 Macbook Pro 15".