Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Digital Distribution & Game Applications

Digital Distribution & Game Applications Games distributed via On-Line Stores

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 8th September 2010, 10:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking
Default Amnesia - Scariest game (demo) I've ever played

Started playing the demo for Amnesia the other day after reading a couple of articles and comments where people were praising it for a variety of reasons, including how scary it is. Now I was a bit sceptical of this so downloaded it have a look and maybe partially subconsciously prove it wasn't that scary (it's only a game right).

I must say that having only dabbled in it so far, it's the scariest game I've ever played. Now that in itself doesn't mean a great deal, however I can't recall being so totally unnerved within any entertainment medium (movie/book/game). I was playing during daylight with headphones, and at one section almost clear jumped out of my chair to the extent that my son sitting behind me with his own headphones on and engrossed in his own game, stopped to see what had happened.

Now of course I might just be a big wuss.

It's by the developers of Penumbra which I'd always intended to get around to trying, but still haven't (I suspect I may have actually bought Penumbra as part of an indie bundle at some stage).

Anyway, I reckon it redefines what it means to be a "scary game". I'm really tempted to buy it, even knowing that I'll likely not want to play it all the way through.

For those who've also tried the demo, I've seen mentioned that they amped up the insanity effects a bit in the demo, so it's a little more mellow/gradual in the game itself.

Interested in anyone else's take on the game if they've tried it? Don't be too cruel if you agree I'm a wuss though.

Write-up over at RPS here: Wot I Think: Amnesia – The Dark Descent | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9th September 2010, 03:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 484

Fine

I enjoyed it. I particularly liked the last part in the flooded chambers.

splosh.........splosh..........splosh.......

...................SPLOSHSPLOSHSPLOSHSPLOSHSPLOSH

Aldmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 06:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
Wildstar
Competent - Post: 318

Fine

I havn't actually tried the demo... I watched the video on steam, i looked at the score on the ign? review, bought it straight away
Venrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 11:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

Downloading the demo now...
F.E.A.R. is the scariest game I've played so far..
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2850

Lurking

It's a great game with great atmos, Deciding when to use the lantern and tinderboxes is a key strategy element in the game with the lean function every will inplicated and I also love the way You can slowly open the doors

If You Tolerate This, Then Your Children Will Be Next.
welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
In Memory
Ace - Post: 8612 TOG Legend

Relaxed
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Downloading the demo now...
F.E.A.R. is the scariest game I've played so far..
I'd have to agree there Ned Fear freaked me out so much that I have never finished playing it haha
Will definitely have a look at amnesia tho

Thank you Chiack

Carm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2237

Cynical

Sounds intriguing. Scariest game I played was The Suffering on the XBOX in the UK. Might not of come out over here (for here I mean Australia) as it carried a 18 rating and rightly so scared the bejesus out of me.

I could be a lightweight to but I can handle Beavis' tales of lollies and leather chairs so I can handle a bit of punishment.

Last edited by Dreadly; 9th September 2010 at 04:05 PM.
Dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 308

Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadly View Post
Sounds intriguing. Scariest game I played was The Suffering on the XBOX in the UK. Might not of come out over here (for here I mean Australia) as it carried a 18 rating and rightly so scared the bejesus out of me.
The Suffering was released for free on the pc a couple of years ago. You can grab it from Games On Net File Library :: The Suffering - Full Clients . The graphics are a bit dated now but you can't go past the price.

Played the demo of Amnesia but didn't find it scary at all. Did enjoy it however unlike FEAR which I just got bored with.
Flibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 12:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 6093

Lurking

FEAR ..........lights off,5.1 headphones and a change of jocks.............is the most scariest game
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 09:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1452

Happy

If you play the other title Penumbra and its addons you have to give great credit to the graphic overhaul and effort put into making a game that delivers a good experience.

Having said that if you can put up with the graphics then I defiantly recommend playing them, there was more then one moment I had to pause and breath as I was so tense my hand was hurting with the killer grip I had on the mouse!

+1

True to type organic, heirloom and open pollinated seeds, join the revolution against modified foods and enjoy the taste of home grown food.

Grow fresh, eat fresh!
delushin is offline   Reply With Quote