Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Digital Distribution & Game Applications

Digital Distribution & Game Applications Games distributed via On-Line Stores

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4th October 2010, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 6185

Question Hijacked account. How secure is Steam?

Heya gang.
My Son has had his account hijacked and can't sign in to Steam.
Does anyone know how accounts can get hijacked without anyone knowing your password?
Also, does anyone know how long it takes to get your account back after it has been lodged with Support?

I haven;t heard back from Steam and am worried about exactly just how secure Steam Accounts are?
Does anyone please have any insights?

Old 4th October 2010, 05:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 6094

Lurking

The first thing you need to do with your account is the 'verify your email' setting,to do this you go your Steam main page,click on steam in the left hand corner and go to 'settings','accounts and go through the verify your email set up.What this does,if someone tries to change/hack your settings an email is sent to your email account asking if you authorise the changes.

My account got hacked into a year ago,you need to contact Steam and go through retrive your account with them....it took almost 2 weeks to get mine back.

Once he gets it back make sure he does the verify email bit.

I think mine got hacked into by them just changing my email details????

Last edited by Beavis; 4th October 2010 at 05:51 PM.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
CS Div Advisor
Deadly - Post: 2266

Doh

ouch!
im not really sure how secure steam is but i have not had any problems

one way accounts are highjacked is by imitating one of your friends accounts
and asking you to click on a link, i always make sure of who i am talking to if they ask me to click a link,

i think the time it takes varies,
maybe talk to Dr. Death, he had his hijacked and managed to get it back pretty quick

good luck
kEv_
Old 4th October 2010, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 6185

Thanks fellas.
Yeah, they have changed the email address, the secret questions, and the password.
What I don't get, is why didn't Steam don't send an email to the registered email when a change in email address was requested.
Their security seems sorely lacking considering the amount of money tied up in Steam.
Old 4th October 2010, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 6094

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
Thanks fellas.
Yeah, they have changed the email address, the secret questions, and the password.
What I don't get, is why didn't Steam don't send an email to the registered email when a change in email address was requested.
Their security seems sorely lacking considering the amount of money tied up in Steam.
That's why you have to do the 'verify email'
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 07:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
CS Div Advisor
Deadly - Post: 2266

Doh

Quote:
why didn't Steam don't send an email to the registered email when a change in email address was requested.
yes that is weird, it seems logical to you and me...
maybe linked to the whole verifying your email address thingy
maybe ask them and see what they say regarding that,
i'd be interested to hear their response
Old 4th October 2010, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5238

Tired

Quote:
They do once you have verified your email address.

I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts your son gave his password away, whether intentionally or tricked into doing so.

Legitimately hacked accounts are a very insignificant proportion of those "stolen".

Support tickets for these issues are the highest priority and typically answered within 24 hours.

Last edited by Jigoku; 4th October 2010 at 07:20 PM.
Jigoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kEv_ View Post
yes that is weird, it seems logical to you and me...
maybe linked to the whole verifying your email address thingy
maybe ask them and see what they say regarding that,
i'd be interested to hear their response
You'll probably get the response that the "verify email" option was implemented to provide this additional protection and I recall it being advertised at the time on the Steam News page.

It'd suggest that it should have been more prominently pushed by Valve as not everyone uses Steam as frequently as many of us and / or don't read the news page. How hard would it be for Valve email all users who haven't verified or have steam pop-up a recommendation maybe once a month when unverified users start steam. Through slackness I took a while before doing the verification and never received a targeted prompting either through Steam or via email. I'd imagine there are a good portion of accounts that still haven't verified and thus have to imagine the higher that number, the higher the number of stolen account support tickets Valve would be dealing with.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 07:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2237

Cynical

Not sure if it makes any difference but try not to register with hotmail accounts. I was getting an email every other day that a password request has been lodged and to follow the prompts blah blah. Asked Steam about it and all they did was confirmed someone was phishing for my account and I should be ok if I didn't do anything with the emails.

I changed my email addy to one provided with my ISP and the requests have stopped. I thing some people just lodge password resets with xxxx at hotmail dot com hoping to get a hit.

Good luck and hope it is restored quickly.

Last edited by Dreadly; 4th October 2010 at 07:39 PM.
Dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5238

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Ions View Post
You'll probably get the response that the "verify email" option was implemented to provide this additional protection and I recall it being advertised at the time on the Steam News page.
On an account with no games, when you try to make a purchase without verifying your email address it will force you to do so before the purchase is allowed to continue. It's a shame it doesn't force this on every account.
Jigoku is offline   Reply With Quote