Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Digital Distribution & Game Applications

Digital Distribution & Game Applications Games distributed via On-Line Stores

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th January 2011, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking
Default Portal 2 - PC/PS3 Cross Platform Play

Yes, you read it correctly. PC and PS3 players will be able to play co-op together and chat. Also, steamplay means that PS3 players can link their PSN account to their Steam account and will get the game for free on the PC also.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...th-ps3-owners/
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19th January 2011, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 5501

Pensive

Awesome, tho I doubt I'll ever bother to install it on my PS3

"If a job's worth doing, no further justification is required." - Alice: Madness Returns
"It takes just as much work to achieve failure as it does to achieve success."
King_Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7441

Yeehaw

Haha. Valve are really rubbing it in Microsoft's face now. Free PC version for PS3 players. Steam cloud save game support for PC, Mac and PS3 all because Microsoft told Valve to go get stuffed when they wanted to provide free Left 4 Dead and TF2 updates to 360 players.

I doubt we'll ever see Microsoft creating a "Buy once play anywhere" kind of ecosystem between the PC and 360. They really ought to have done that since day 1 but you know they won't, greedy buggers.

Last edited by Drac; 20th January 2011 at 08:13 PM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Rocket View Post
Awesome, tho I doubt I'll ever bother to install it on my PS3
Just a clarification - based upon current information: If you buy it on PC you only get it on PC, but if you buy the PS3 (disc?) release, then you can also link it to get it on Steam for free for your PC.

So it's apparently kind of like a one way SteamPlay PS3-->PC, not PS3<-->PC and not PS3<--PC.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7441

Yeehaw

That's because of the Playstation developer licence agreement which cuts a small % of each game sale to Sony. Microsoft do the same thing on the Xbox.

This is why PC games are usually cheaper by $10 or more. Valve wouldn't be able to offer a Playstation Network Downlaod Key of Portal 2 for PC/Mac Steam purchases because that circumvents the developer licence agreement. For Valve the end result is the same, but not for Sony thus the one-sided nature of the deal.

It's worse on the 360 though. Microsoft charges developers to release patches and DLC which is just a really underhanded way of MS encouraging devs to make all DLC a "sale" just so the developers can cover costs, and of course Microsoft can then take an extra cut out of that sale effectively milking developers who want to offer gamers extra free content. You'd think MS would get enough from all the xbox live subscription fees...

This is what made Valve seek a relationship with Playstation and Sony in the first place. Looks like Sony has been much more accommodating to Valve than Microsoft were.

Last edited by Drac; 20th January 2011 at 08:28 PM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 03:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2187

Fine

Great news and i'll be getting it on the PS3, It would be great to catch up with some of my old PC mates. Prepare to be pwned by a man with a controller
Does this mean there will be no chance of a PS3 & XBOX cross platform game? There are a few people in here that buy the game on both platforms.

George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 06:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Pensive

Look like I'll be getting a PS3 version, linking it to steam and then getting it on my PC.

Two copies for the price of one.

"If a job's worth doing, no further justification is required." - Alice: Madness Returns
Old 24th January 2011, 12:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1745

Mellow

I like the idea of cross platform play but why would I want two copies of exactly the same game?

I'm assuming that they will both be tied to the same Steam account so I wouldn't be able to use them both at the same time for multiplayer anyway, so what's the point or am I missing something here?

Rog69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 02:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Pensive

So you could play with both your PS3 and PC owning mates?

Old 24th January 2011, 05:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1745

Mellow

You will be able to do that with either the PS3 version or the PC version anyway as they have cross platform support, no need for 2 copies.
The only advantage I can see is if they let you use your PS3 version and your PC version together for multiplayer but I can't see that happening as they will both be tied to the same Steam account anyway.

Rog69 is offline   Reply With Quote