Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Digital Distribution & Game Applications

Digital Distribution & Game Applications Games distributed via On-Line Stores

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11th June 2011, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8284

Paranoid
Default Facebook has infiltrated Steam!

News - Link Your Profile with Facebook and Find Your Friends on Steam

Sheesh.
Purg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11th June 2011, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
In Memory
Ace - Post: 8632 TOG Legend

Relaxed

Yes I just noticed this today

Thank you Chiack

Carm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 12:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3871

Scared

Did it, can't see anything different.

Bikkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2541 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Goofy

Basically, if you don't have facebook / twitter features in your game (or games system) these days, you're seen as behind the times.

Even though it adds NOTHING to the experience...

It annoys me, because even though I use Facebook quite a lot, I want Facebook to die, like AOL did for example, so it can be replaced with something better, but with everyone jumping on board the facebook bandwagon, it's not going to happen any time soon.
FunkyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25708

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyJ View Post
Basically, if you don't have facebook / twitter features in your game (or games system) these days, you're seen as behind the times.

Even though it adds NOTHING to the experience...

It annoys me, because even though I use Facebook quite a lot, I want Facebook to die, like AOL did for example, so it can be replaced with something better, but with everyone jumping on board the facebook bandwagon, it's not going to happen any time soon.
After my Sister harassed me for YEARS I tried it. Hardly used it, shut it down. Don't miss it. In fact, I'm quite happy knowing it's not there anymore.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 07:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 89

Buzzed

If your friends are on steam surely you would have them on it already and not need to do the facebook thing. I do use facebook, but it is purely a news feed. If I want to talk to someone i'll use my phone. I might link them just incase I have missed anyone I guess.
I wanted to change my sig but can't think of anything to change it to, so I shall ramble on pointlessly for a little while, just typing away. Type type type. Im bored now I'll properly change it later when I think of something.
Player One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Division Boss
TF2 & Grand Theft Auto
Lethal - Post: 6233

Sleepy

I'd already "added" a few steam friends to my Facebook friends (mainly for baby pics) prior to this...mostly, however, I'd like to keep the 2 worlds separate
Old 14th June 2011, 01:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator Team Leader
All Knowing - Post: 19017

I really don't want to publicise my gaming.

If I wanted to do that I would have thrown up my real name as my game name.

Nope really really DONT want to do that.

Others may be happy about it, but I like my privacy (or the illusion that I have such), and don't want to shout from the rooftops what I am doing and when.

Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.
- P. J. O'Rourke
Ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8284

Paranoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
I really don't want to publicise my gaming.

If I wanted to do that I would have thrown up my real name as my game name.

Nope really really DONT want to do that.

Others may be happy about it, but I like my privacy (or the illusion that I have such), and don't want to shout from the rooftops what I am doing and when.
Agreed. My gaming life is my gaming life and my social life is my social life. They're two completely separate entities. None of my friends in 'real life' game. While the average age of gamers is in excess of 30, there are many people that consider gaming as something you grow out of when you become an adult. I don't want to have to justify my 4 hour stint in a virtual plane or virtual battlefield. I do it for my own enjoyment and relaxation.

Those friendships I have developed over gaming are more than entitled to see what I am doing (in case they want to join in or invite me to play with them) within the Steam friends tab - and I actually quite like that.
Purg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 01:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 6452

Mellow

There should be an option to turn it off,I don't have facebook and don't want to have facebook
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote