Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Digital Distribution & Game Applications

Digital Distribution & Game Applications Games distributed via On-Line Stores

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th August 2011, 10:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7440

Yeehaw

As I said about a month ago, this is only going to get worse. All future EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Bethsoft ect games will now be $60 USD, thus $100 AUD or more on Steam.

They're not raising the price for any particular reason except that they feel they can get away with it. There's still zero licencing fees for releasing PC games unlike consoles games were Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo take a cut of each sale, require hefty developer licences and shaft developers with required "development boxes" that cost several hundred times their hardware value.

The QA and support requirements for PC games are also completly nonexistant - at least with a console the developers are forced to submit their games for arduios audit and QA checks (done by large teams Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo employ dedicated to auditing games) and have a massive list of minimum standards for everything - stuff like: whenever a player name is displayed in a multiplayer game, it must display all characters and not truncate it, you must be able to access/view the gamercard, all menu actions must have tool-tips/instructions - you can never force a player to wait for more than 15 seconds (this is generally why all modern games have loading screens that display random/dynamic tips that change every load time), if the game ever crashes it fails and has to be resubmitted (which costs another 10K or more for the QA process, not to mention a lot of extra development/testing time), the game can never enter a state where the player is forced to reload an automatic save to continue ect ect ect - each Console has it's own phonebook-thick document for all of these rules and requirements.

The PC however doesn't require any of this - they can ship the buggiest piece-of-shit build and not have to answer for it at all.

Last edited by Drac; 19th August 2011 at 11:02 AM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19th August 2011, 01:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
$60 for the US, that's more than games usually cost for them too. Activision are the worst, though this doesn't bother me as I wouldn't buy the game if it was $1
Ditto. After seeing the full page ad on Steam yesterday, I've never been happier to not be a COD fan. BF3 already has my money (via ozgameshop of course).
Old 21st August 2011, 03:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 7299

Paranoid

I'm hoping MW3 sales take a significant hit on the back of a ridiculous asking price, DLC map packs which are being pumped out for BO (which fracture the community between the haves and have nots) and now some goofy subscription based crap that's traditionally offered free. If this gains traction, suits from other studios will start pumping up prices and trying to gouge us with frivolous DLC.

I've owned every COD title up until now and won't be supporting this one with my dollars. BF3 FTW.
Purg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 07:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2966

Bored

oz game will be it for me i wasnt going to get it due to no dedi servers but now that has changed im more inclinded to get it
Old 21st August 2011, 08:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25490

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTyogi View Post
oz game will be it for me i wasnt going to get it due to no dedi servers but now that has changed im more inclinded to get it
I'm glad they returned those.

Now if someone could just get them to add an SDK and remove the funtax I'd consider it lol.

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 02:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 6138

Lurking

It will most probably be $110 at EB games
Beavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 02:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1466

Happy

Hrm ... it is annoying but for now I can deal with it by gifts

If steam ever takes that option away then I will get really mad!

True to type organic, heirloom and open pollinated seeds, join the revolution against modified foods and enjoy the taste of home grown food.

Grow fresh, eat fresh!
delushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 09:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1494

Angelic

Would this be a bad time for me to say Kiwis get it for $59.95 on Steam?

I'll go back to my hole...
ViperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 12:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 6138

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperX View Post
Would this be a bad time for me to say Kiwis get it for $59.95 on Steam?
No.........means I can get my Kiwi mate to gift it to me.
Beavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 03:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 517

Angelic

wait does COD 3 have dedicated server support?

*i mean MW3.....

Nothing says "I'm a lazy-arsed console porting Dev" like 'Press Enter to begin' at the title screen. I have a "Loot" fetish. Pro Sig Courtesy of ONYX

Last edited by Hell Scream; 26th August 2011 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Thanx Reoh
Hell Scream is offline   Reply With Quote