The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Digital Distribution & Game Applications (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/digital-distribution-game-applications/)
-   -   [Steam] Sword of the Stars 2 - release issues (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/digital-distribution-game-applications/394914-sword-stars-2-release-issues.html)

Sp!at 29th October 2011 09:31 PM

Sword of the Stars 2 - release issues

The latest Sword of the Stars version was launched today in the most spectacularly 'crash and burn' fashion.

First of all, the months leading up to the launch have been full of praise for the project and the game mechanics as they have been designed would make this game truly awesome. It has an incredibly interesting political system and each race is very unique.

But come release day they actually uploaded one of the old beta versions to Steam. This is a 4gb-ish size file so it takes a fair amount of time to download. So anyway, this version is full of bugs and half the stuff doesn't work. It is quite obvious it is a beta and sure enough when you visit the Paradox website there is an apology and they are currently uploading the real version.

The next version downloads and installs later in the afternoon and this is barely different to the previous one so everyone is thinking that the devs have uploaded another beta version.

But no, some hours later it is confirmed that the buggy and fractured software is the actual release version. So many functions and features are missing it isn't funny. The game itself looks like it will be absolutely awesome at some point in the future but for right now I wouldn't advise anyone invests in this.

recon 29th October 2011 11:07 PM

Yeah it is a fail day 1 release unfortunately. Missing encyclopedia entries, windowed mode only, 64 bit support issues, missing bits from most parts of the game. Very pretty ship models thought I must say.

Sp!at 1st November 2011 11:49 AM

Kerberos are offering a complete SotS1 to people who bought SotS2 to tide them over until the game is patched. I took up the offer and am really enjoying version 1. :) Details are on the Paradox Forum (Putting Things Right... from kerberos forum)

astrospud 1st November 2011 01:35 PM

Interesting. I almost bought it...Will wait for patch.

Spice. 1st November 2011 08:44 PM

I almost bought it too, thanks for the heads up.

delushin 1st November 2011 10:47 PM

Thanks guys ... also thanks to Giant Dave for the heads up ... very interested in this but will wait

Reoh 2nd November 2011 12:10 AM

I almost bought it three.

Sp!at 2nd November 2011 06:00 AM

They will patch it quickly. The guess is about a month. Kerberos have said they will flag when they consider they have addressed all the issues so I guess this will go on either the Kerberos site or the Paradox site. If anyone sees this statement can they please post here? I don't frequent those sites all that often. Next time I go to Paradox will most likely be Crusader Kings 2 related. ;)

BTW, I'm really enjoying SotS1 atm. Wish I had bought this earlier. :D

MMOGAddict 3rd November 2011 06:59 PM

Hey it's still better than Stronghold 3 !

astrospud 13th November 2011 12:33 PM

Any update on...an update?