Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Digital Distribution & Game Applications

Digital Distribution & Game Applications Games distributed via On-Line Stores

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22nd January 2012, 11:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5005

Sleepy

Considering I have TrackIR ... this is a must for me.

Old 22nd January 2012, 12:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4575

Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Kiwi View Post
Considering I have TrackIR ... this is a must for me.
Me too!
Old 22nd January 2012, 12:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1381

Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I'm enjoying it, I suck at the races though

I never got into the X series, I found them boring and long winded - I remember the first one and it took hours just to get a decent engine so you could jump around!
That's good to hear, people told me if you liked elite, etc you'd like X3, but I didn't really, too much setting up remote auto business models to get money before you could do much yourself. More like playing space trader tycoon with flying ship minigames. This sounds good.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Brootal666
Brootal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 08:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Ace - Post: 7652 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Blah

played the demo - tried some contracts, each time i try to jump to the waypoint, the NAV marker would move and I'd waste fuel jumping to nowhere and hear "Contract Objective failed". That happened twice and 3rd time I went through a jumpgate to another system. I had no money to buy fuel to do anything else so I engaged a navy ship and that was game over

Looks like fun but I dont have the time to put into it. And that was the thing about Elite; at the time I had all the time in the world
Old 24th January 2012, 03:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

Yeah I had that jump and fail thing as well! Didn't understand what caused it so occupied myself with other stuff.
Old 24th January 2012, 03:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Ace - Post: 7652 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kace View Post
Yeah I had that jump and fail thing as well! Didn't understand what caused it so occupied myself with other stuff.
i put it down to me using the ALT-LMB on the HUD to initiate the JUMP. In the process I assumed I'd moved the NAV marker. I had more success if used the LAUNCH button on the NAV screen.

Last edited by SJ777; 24th January 2012 at 03:20 PM.
SJ777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 06:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Advisor
Advisor
Elite - Post: 4476

I really like a number of things they have done. The physics, and the completly remappable control system is incredibly flexible.
However some of the basics are just not polished enough and my frustration of the first day of play has meant I have not been bothered to go back to it for my second attempt.
The navigation and waypoint system just doesn't work well. In the tutorial it didn't warp me, or give me a waypoint to the station that it was trying to teach me how to dock to. I had to try and find one manually and ended up well below the station. Not knowing what to look for meant a lot of head scratching while trying to find the force shielded area or guidance markers to lead me in.
Finally finished that only to have the same problem with the next mission which was due to teach me how to land on a planet. When I warped to my own waypoint I think it put me on the wrong side of the planet, because the guidance marker was continually red. Not knowing any better I ended up burning up while trying to follow the markers in. (I still don't know better. Not actually sure how to land on a planet, wasn't really interested in trying that stage again).

When I played the game, well, the save function was a major issue for me. Long story short, after many deaths and lost progress I ended the day with a default start character.
Unless I am missing something, the game did not auto-save at any point, and you can't quick save while you have an active mission. I died about 4 or 5 times due to jumping into objects (sometimes at destination, sometimes by it running into objects prior to the jump). Every time I had to go back to the default start charater because I had no saves at all.
Even while I was in a station I thought, better save this time, only to get the can't save with an active mission error message. Thought whats the harm in just completing this one. Bang. Warped into an asteroid I was meant to go and mine...

Marvel Heroes - TOGBlackIce

Last edited by BlackIce; 27th January 2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spelling
BlackIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 12:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Sleepy

Freeform Space Combat / Trader and Exploration Simulator (PC Space-Sim) - Evochron Mercenary

Taught me a LOT of stuff I didn't know ... especially about Navigation.
Old 6th February 2012, 12:10 AM   #19 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7437

Yeehaw

Is there any narrative?

I liked Privateer and to some extent Freelancer but without a good space romping adventure to add colour I tend find these games a bit boring.

Then again, I'm not really looking for the freeform elite thing - I want me some classic wing commander or x-wing/tie-fighter gameplay. Give me a war to fight, leave the mining and trading to the MMO players.

Last edited by Drac; 6th February 2012 at 12:16 AM.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 05:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Sleepy

There is a quest line ... I missed it completely