The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Digital Distribution & Game Applications (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/digital-distribution-game-applications/)
-   -   [Recommended] Witcher 1/2 EE Free Upgrade (DRM-Free) (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/digital-distribution-game-applications/428964-witcher-1-2-ee-free-upgrade-drm-free.html)

BlackD 26th April 2012 04:39 PM

Witcher 1/2 EE Free Upgrade (DRM-Free)

If you previously purchased The Witcher 2, you can get a free upgrade to the DRM-Free Witcher 2 Enchanced Edition at GOG.COM.

If you have a boxed copy or purchased it online (from g2play or similar sites), enter your serial number in the box. If you purchased it on Steam, you'll need to use Regedit to find your key. Depending on your version of Windows, it'll be in one of a few places.

Check the following:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CD Projekt Red\The Witcher 2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\CD Projekt Red\The Witcher 2

If you don't have it installed, or have the 1.2 update, you might not be able to find a serial, in which case go to this page: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition

There, you can provide proof of purchase, or if you don't have that, they can check your Steam account (you'll need to set profile to public) automatically and email you your key.

+BlackD

PS: Although it doesn't say anything on the GOG page, the official site says this offer ends on May 17th, so get in while you can! It's always worth having DRM-free copies of games. :) Especially with all the bonus content you get from GOG.

Jigoku 26th April 2012 06:21 PM

Steam version: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CD Projekt RED\The Witcher 2

BlackD 26th April 2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigoku (Post 3507754)
Steam version: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CD Projekt RED\The Witcher 2

Argh! That was the other one I was trying to find but lost the page. :D Yeah, there's a bunch of different locations people have found it in with different versions (of the game) on Steam, and different OSs, so it's been somewhat troublesome. At least they've got the webpage up to find it on your profile if you have no luck at all. :)

EDIT: I'm guessing, the easiest way to find it is to just fire up Regedit, hit CTRL-F and enter The Witcher 2 - in fact I'm surprised none of the links I was reading just said that. :) It might take a few F3s (search again) to find the correct one, but likely the first you find will have the serial.

BlackD 9th June 2012 09:36 AM

As a heads-up, a week or so ago, this was offer was extended to also include Witcher 1. If you own Witcher 1 on Steam or as a boxed copy, you can go to here and get a DRM-Free copy of Witcher 1 Enhanced Edition with all the bonus material on GOG. (Which of course, you can then download and keep on your own PC forever :))

Thermal Ions 9th June 2012 06:36 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I tried it, but the Steam product code didn't work and there's no registry entry for The Witcher 1. I've used their code verification page instead, so waiting on their manual processing.