Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Digital Distribution & Game Applications

Digital Distribution & Game Applications Games distributed via On-Line Stores

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th May 2012, 11:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1649
 DangerMouse's Avatar

Amused
Default

Congrats Shovor

What did you use to code this? Did you use an existing engine (3D and/or physics)?
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20th May 2012, 07:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 12
 sh0v0r's Avatar

Breezy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Congrats Shovor

What did you use to code this? Did you use an existing engine (3D and/or physics)?
It's written in C# using Unity 3D.
sh0v0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 10:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1649
 DangerMouse's Avatar

Amused
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0v0r View Post
It's written in C# using Unity 3D.
Cool! But don't you mean its made in Unity and scripted in C#?

Hope it does well for you!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 11:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1250

Amused
Default

I should get back into Unity 3D to work on my game, I don't find it terribly intuitive. By the time I get around to learning different things in Unity I have forgotten everything else I started learning.

Purchased 2 copies in the sale, one for another TOGGER, yet to try it though.

Congrats on getting a game into steam
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 12:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 12
 sh0v0r's Avatar

Breezy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Cool! But don't you mean its made in Unity and scripted in C#?

Hope it does well for you!
Same thing although I wouldn't refer to C# as 'scripting' its a serious programming language.
sh0v0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 02:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1649
 DangerMouse's Avatar

Amused
Default

LOL! I'm just pulling your leg Shovor, it just that the Unity engine is already written for you and you "script" your game in C#

Least you didn't use JavaScript (shrudder)!

@MadMax - I'm the same I don't find Unity intuitive either plus I actually like to get my hands more dirty and code from the ground up (well nearly I don't like doing native DirectX or OpenGL stuff)...

Hows the sale going for you?
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 07:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7440
 Drac's Avatar

Yeehaw
Default

Hi Sean!

Didn't you show this at Pras's Big Dev Meet? Head about it form Truna but have been out of the loop recently, snowed under marking assignments for the past month. Didn't know you were a TOGer as well though. I also recall seeing this on the Unity forums some time ago, I'm just "Cameron" over on there, haven't had a chance to do much since TailDrift and the Flash In A Flash comp but good to see more brizvegas and unity success stories.

Massive congrats on the release - will definitely grab a copy for myself.

Hit me up on fb, I'm sure I'll run into you at some point soon, Brisbane's a damn small place after all.
__________________
.
. . . .
.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 07:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 12
 sh0v0r's Avatar

Breezy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I should get back into Unity 3D to work on my game, I don't find it terribly intuitive. By the time I get around to learning different things in Unity I have forgotten everything else I started learning.

Purchased 2 copies in the sale, one for another TOGGER, yet to try it though.

Congrats on getting a game into steam
Unity is the most simple framework to build a game from I have come across(I have 10+ years professional industry experience). If you are serious about making a game you have to do the hard work and stick to it. If you can't manage it with Unity I'm not sure what you expect to be able to do? Making games is challenging that's for sure but it's an amazingly rewarding thing to do. You should keep at it!
sh0v0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 08:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 12
 sh0v0r's Avatar

Breezy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
LOL! I'm just pulling your leg Shovor, it just that the Unity engine is already written for you and you "script" your game in C#

Least you didn't use JavaScript (shrudder)!

@MadMax - I'm the same I don't find Unity intuitive either plus I actually like to get my hands more dirty and code from the ground up (well nearly I don't like doing native DirectX or OpenGL stuff)...

Hows the sale going for you?
Unity is a framework from with you can do a lot of things. Yes most of the engine frame work is already done, that's why you use it so that you can focus on the important thing of actually making something instead of building technology.

Again C# is not a 'scripting' language, sure you can do some simple things with it in Unity through the Mono Behaviour class but if you are a serious programmer then you have a full blown OO language at your disposal. Also if speed is a big concern then you can always write C++ plugin DLLs. Lunar Flight uses several including a wrapper for communicating with the Steamworks SDK.

The problem a lot of people fall into with Unity is assuming its a basic games construction kit which it isn't or dismissing it at face value as not being flexible or powerful enough. You do need to know a fair amount about games programming to create anything beyond what a few tutorials show you. Once you do understand the components based model it uses then you are literally limited by your own imagination.

The great thing with using Unity is that there is a wealth of free or very cheap systems already written that you can integrate into your project royalty free. Lunar Flight uses several modified systems for Achievements, Input Management, Leaderboards. Things that saved me time from writing myself so I could focus on 'finishing' the game and that is the most important thing with any endeavour...
sh0v0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 08:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 12
 sh0v0r's Avatar

Breezy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
Hi Sean!

Didn't you show this at Pras's Big Dev Meet? Head about it form Truna but have been out of the loop recently, snowed under marking assignments for the past month. Didn't know you were a TOGer as well though. I also recall seeing this on the Unity forums some time ago, I'm just "Cameron" over on there, haven't had a chance to do much since TailDrift and the Flash In A Flash comp but good to see more brizvegas and unity success stories.

Massive congrats on the release - will definitely grab a copy for myself.

Hit me up on fb, I'm sure I'll run into you at some point soon, Brisbane's a damn small place after all.
Hi Cam, yeah I presented the game at the first BIG Dev event. Don't take this personally but I try to keep my FB friends list personal and small. I don't use it as a tool for connecting, that's what LinkedIn is for.

I'll be at the next BIG Dev event on the 6th of June.
sh0v0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT +11. The time now is 05:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0