TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Digital Distribution & Game Applications

Digital Distribution & Game Applications Games distributed via On-Line Stores

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th May 2012, 12:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1457

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Don't worry how good or bad it is in our group. Think of us as crash test chamber dummies. If we enjoyed it then make it more widely available, after fixing anything from feedback.
Also if people want to make a few tweaks to their maps in hammer I can help.
I think most people are just using the editor as a ideas tool then tweaking/converting everything in hammer.

PC - TOG|Click PS3-PSN - clickaus Guild Wars 2 - clickaus.9170
click is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13th May 2012, 12:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1248

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
Also if people want to make a few tweaks to their maps in hammer I can help.
I think most people are just using the editor as a ideas tool then tweaking/converting everything in hammer.
Thanks click, as I was making them I remember thinking, oh I wish I could add this or that from the game.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 04:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1457

Goofy

Quote:
Thanks click, as I was making them I remember thinking, oh I wish I could add this or that from the game.
Also the way the new editor draws and places things into the world is a bit out of whack.
Can't wait to get my hands on it and have a go. Couple more days and I will be home.
Sick off just reading/watching things about it.

PC - TOG|Click PS3-PSN - clickaus Guild Wars 2 - clickaus.9170
click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 06:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3994

Cheeky

Quote:
I think that at the moment you publish your map it takes the viewpoint you have of it in the editor, so set up the view of the map, before you publish.
yup, I noticed that. I was thinking you could probably also make a fake wall in one direction to disguise the level behind it.
Old 14th May 2012, 12:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Average - Post: 157

Just played your Prison Escape map MadMax. I never actually finished it but I did make a attempt. That was a tough map. Is this even possible to finish? I found some switches that I never was able to figure out how to get to them. There is also a section I found that I didn't see a place to get out of. Maybe add a deadly goo there. I didn't jump down for that reason because I was afraid of getting stuck. It was back by your exit door if you know what I'm talking about. I may try your map again later.
Nikolaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 09:41 AM   #16 (permalink)

Amused

Hi Nikolaf, yes my map is finishable in about 5 minutes or less if you know what to do.

In fact there is also an easier way to finish it, as I left a surprise cube around as well. You need 3 cubes to complete it, but there are 4 about..

The main problem is that it is difficult to see the portalable surfaces that you have to utilise, but I can assure you they exist.

I might attempt to make it a little more obvious. [Spoiler]In one case there is only a small viewpoint to the portalable surface, and even then you have to stand on the cube you should have, to point at it. The surfaces you need to point at Nikolaf are through the upper concourse doorway, near the ceiling of the stairwell area, which you can see from that low level prison ward, through the grate, but as mentioned above you need to have gotten the cube a few cells away and stand on it, then portal out of there with it. [/Spoiler]

I tried your maps too Nikolaf, very good, enjoyed them.

I have a rather different gameplay idea I haven't seen before, and I am keen to try out tonight.

Be aware that the editor has a finite limit of objects in the map, and if you go over it, it won't publish the map, as Obsi found out yesterday. Obsi is not one to do things on a small scale lol!

'TOG | Click' do you think that Hammer would have the same limit as this editor? I was wondering if someone had this problem and did not want to compromise it, would they be able to get you to do some magic in Hammer to make it publishable?

I am finding that if you have too many puzzles without enough direction it clutters your mind too much and quickly becomes more annoying than fun, and you spend too much time wandering aimlessly.

P.S. I created a TOG Collection late last night, but haven't sussed out how to use it yet.

Last edited by MadMax; 14th May 2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 14th May 2012, 09:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
Division Captain
Team Fortress 2
Lethal - Post: 5970

Sleepy

Quote:
Obsi is not one to do things on a small scale lol!
I blame Minecraft
Old 15th May 2012, 01:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

Cheeky

Quote:
I found that I didn't see a place to get out of.
yeah I found that place, by jumping down to it but by then it was 1am, so I thought I'd best go to bed. I definitely needed that spoiler, as I couldn't figure out what to do next.

Quote:
Be aware that the editor has a finite limit of objects in the map, and if you go over it, it won't publish the map, as Obsi found out yesterday.
It would be nice if it told you what the limit was, I went to rebuilt it to see how it was going (and waited a while for it to start building) then it told me it couldn't build the level because there were too many items, so I removed some, tried again - still too many. After the 3rd try, I managed to get it down enough to build it (which is a shame, as I liked some of the puzzles I had). I'm not sure if it counts lights and glass/mesh walls in that or only the other stuff.

Quote:
I blame Minecraft
heh

I have 2 maps done:
Steam Workshop :: Test Chamber 1
Steam Workshop :: The Temple
(the first is set to friends only, the second is public)
Old 15th May 2012, 02:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

Amused

With my testing of a hopefully fun concept I'm playing with, I created a huge room, and despite not having that many objects in it yet, it is pretty slow to build and start playing, so room size is definitely partly to blame for sluggishness. So my tip would be to keep the room to the smallest you possibly can to hold the elements required.

I will check out your temple map soon Obsi, what a shock Obsi building something called Temple lol.
Old 15th May 2012, 04:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

Cheeky

lol, yes that temple map was taking forever to build, so I had to reduce that in size as well as in the amount of items in it

Though while it had MASSIVE lag while building it (as in sometimes clicking an item to change it wouldn't actually even register, it was very frustrating), in actual gameplay it seems no different to a small level - I haven't noticed any lag. So that's a good thing.

There is also a limit in the size it can be on the horizontal plane, (only about 26 or so blocks wide I think) but you can go much higher/deeper.