TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Digital Distribution & Game Applications

Digital Distribution & Game Applications Games distributed via On-Line Stores

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9012

Default Valve wants to pick and choose lawsuits

Apparently Valve wants to dictate how you complain to them and what sort of lawsuits eventuate.

News - Updated Steam Subscriber Agreement

Has anyone seem a similar policy elsewhere? Are you going do agree to this? Do you think it will be legally viable in Australia or anywhere else?

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 2nd August 2012, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1858

Bored

I remember EA doing the same thing with Origin. And alot of people kicked up a fuss. My guess is since it's Valve, most people won't care.
r8response is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

In reality a class action lawsuit against a games company is more likely to be used to pressure a change of practices or policy, not to personally get those involved any real compensation (apart from the lawyers of course).

R8 has it pretty right I imagine, as Valve's less likely to need it's customers to pressure it in such ways to get it to improve it's practices/policies than certain other companies.

Given the likely risks and values involved, arbitration and retaining the ability to utilise small claims court seem reasonable resolution options at an individual level. The fact that they will reimburse (different to "pay" as being misreported in number of blogs) costs does take an interesting customer centric approach. It's probably not completely selfless of course - they would have worked out it's still a cheaper option than paying / retaining high priced lawyers.

Of course in some jurisdictions (EU so netizens tell me) you can't agree to waive certain statutory rights and the ability to sue. Being lazy, I can be bothered researching to see if the clauses are enforceable in Australia. Of course like most EULA's, until someone actually tests them no one knows how legally enforceable any of the clauses, let alone these new ones, are.

What I find more interesting is the wording of the clauses about the Steam Wallet and Marketplace. Coming after the recent ruling in the EU giving the right to sell 2nd hand software licences, it makes me think that sometime soon we may be able to trade games that have previously been activated on our accounts. If so, it will be interesting to see the implementation and if Valve or the original publisher gets a cut in the case of a Steam wallet (cash) trade - if an option.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7433

Yeehaw

Greenmangaming already offers game trade-ins of a sort, that is if the game you purchase isn't locked to your steam or other digital account.
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote