The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Digital Distribution & Game Applications (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/digital-distribution-game-applications/)
-   -   [Steam] How is the TOG Group Used? (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/digital-distribution-game-applications/489380-how-tog-group-used.html)

Kaliante 20th April 2013 03:22 AM

How is the TOG Group Used?

I joined the TOG Steam group but I haven't figured out how I use it. I tried to see if there were TOG members to hook up with in Borderlands 2, but I couldn't figure it out. The game itself only seems to allow hooking up with people who are explicitly added to a friends list, or to use an in-game browser that doesn't allow searches against Steam groups. When I access the TOG group via the Steam client I see numbers for people in games and people on line, but I don't even see how to sort our group for those subsets.

Can someone explain how I use the TOG group membership to hook up with people playing the Steam game I am playing? Is it only possible to do that if there is a TOG subgroup for the particular game I am in, or am I doing something wrong in my use of the main TOG group in Steam?

Thanks for any help.

Unknown 23rd April 2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaliante (Post 3814813)
I joined the TOG Steam group but I haven't figured out how I use it.

I suspect that's been a problem since Day 1; that is, it sounded like a good idea at the time with a small number of users, but at last count I saw over 1,100 members and there's just no way they all play the same games or share the same interests.

It got to the stage wherein I used it as a quick 'n' dirty method of validating TOG membership when running a server, but that's about it. Beyond that, individual games/divisions have formed their own Steam groups to make management/announcements easier. I have no idea if there's a BL2-specific TOG Steam group as being a 4-player co-op game it's not necessarily something you'd see with its own division (I don't think the old BL1 TOG Steam group was ever updated).

In terms of the specific problem you've mentioned, I'd say look for like-minded friends on the TOG Web site then organise for co-op games of BL2 (or whatever else). Inside BL2, if people are directly on your Steam Friends list (not just a member of the same Steam group as yourself) then they'll show up when playing on the main menu.

I honestly haven't tried to use the in-game server browser to find random public games as I learnt during the days of BL1 that having a fixed group of friends makes the experience much more enjoyable. Best of luck! :)

Kaliante 25th April 2013 06:22 AM

Hey, thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Avoozl 27th April 2013 07:45 AM

And some of your GW2 buddies also play :)

Kaliante 28th April 2013 04:05 AM

Nice to know, will add you to friends list.

Mixa... 29th April 2013 09:06 PM

Steam Community :: Group :: TOG Borderlands

Although as Unknown said, as it's a 4player co-op it's probably best to try and get someone you enjoy playing with to play with you.

Kaliante 30th April 2013 06:34 AM

Thanks for that link. I was looking for Borderlands 2 group and didn't stop to think that 1 & 2 would be under the same group.

From what you guys have said, I think it might be good to just make a thread asking for three people who would be interested in going through the game a second time in co-op. My understanding is that the difficulty is increased to accommodate the extra 3 players. I know there is a True Vault Hunter mode, but I don't know whether that requires someone to be an excellent player, particularly if it is scaled up for a foursome.

Unknown 30th April 2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaliante (Post 3821321)
Thanks for that link. I was looking for Borderlands 2 group and didn't stop to think that 1 & 2 would be under the same group.

I don't think there's been any specific update to that group for BL2, but hey it's a starting point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaliante (Post 3821321)
From what you guys have said, I think it might be good to just make a thread asking for three people who would be interested in going through the game a second time in co-op. My understanding is that the difficulty is increased to accommodate the extra 3 players. I know there is a True Vault Hunter mode, but I don't know whether that requires someone to be an excellent player, particularly if it is scaled up for a foursome.

Matching your time zone and playing time would also be important (obvious, but sometimes needs to be reminded).

As for difficulty, the same holds for BL2 as was the case in BL1 - that is, the more players, the higher the difficulty and sometimes the more enemies (which in turn leads to more and potentially better loot drops - just remember though loot is not individual, it's a free-for-all so it's first-in-best-dressed to pick it up).

TVHM (playthrough 2) doesn't necessarily require you to be an "excellent" player as long as you have an idea what you're doing and have suitably scaled equipment/weapons (it wasn't until I hit The Bunker that things got initially tough for a while solo playing through TVHM - Moxxi's Good/Bad Touch SMGs quickly resolved that problem).

If you have the Season Pass (or have purchased the recently released new update/challenge pack - can't recall the name) it opens up a third playthrough (Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode) which you can play/reset/replay over and over.