Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Digital Distribution & Game Applications

Digital Distribution & Game Applications Games distributed via On-Line Stores

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15th July 2013, 07:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Average - Post: 126

Default Poor Customer Service Experience

So I was really excited for the Steam Summer Sale and was looking forward to a particular game. Turns out on the first day that game was a Flash sale item, so of course I add it to my cart and click purchase. It processes for awhile and then says "Transaction Failed" and tells me to contact customer support. I remove the item from the shopping cart and try again, however this time it tells me there is another pending transaction on my account and to contact support.

So I contact support asking them to fix my cart and that I'm hoping to still get the discount. By the time they get back to me the flash sale is over and I'm told "Once a sale has expired, we do not offer previously discounted prices.". Nothing about then fixing my cart, just a "tough luck" message.

After a couple of email exchanges I finally asked for this case to be escalated/reviewed by management. The reply back is a bit surprising.

"Steam Support is not a tiered system and does not have managers or supervisors to whom matters are escalated. All technicians are equally able to assist with any issue.

I understand your frustration with the issue. However, as previously stated, once a sale has expired we do not offer previously discounted prices. "

It's really hard for me to believe they do not have any sort of system in place to resolve transaction issues when the issue is on STEAM's side. It's even harder from me to believe that Steam does not have an escalation process.

Anyways, thought I'd vent a little here. Normally I praise Steam and suggest it to others, that was before I had to deal with their customer support polices. Definitely irritating.
Silvesti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15th July 2013, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 915

Don't get me started on Origin....

okkervil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5042

Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by okkervil View Post
Don't get me started on Origin....
They have Customer support?

Must be a new thing
Old 15th July 2013, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Ace - Post: 7666 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvesti View Post
"Steam Support is not a tiered system and does not have managers or supervisors to whom matters are escalated. All technicians are equally able to assist with any issue.
extract from the valve employee handbook that supports that view. I suggest you ask to speak to a guy named "gabe"...

Jokes aside, online support (generally not just steam) these days sucks... Check a few of their competitors who provide steam keys and tend to match the sales while they are on. Vote with your money

Last edited by SJ777; 15th July 2013 at 04:14 PM.
SJ777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 01:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Average - Post: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ777 View Post
extract from the valve employee handbook that supports that view. I suggest you ask to speak to a guy named "gabe"...
Oh wow! I thought this was a joke at first. This is.....so....I....I don't know what to think. My mind has been blown.

Thanks for that link!

You are right about online support being horrible these days. I was just complaining to a co-worker the other day about how I take time to submit an extremely detailed report of an issue I'm encountering, only for a vendor to reply back with a one sentence question which often indicates he never read my report. Very frustrating.
Silvesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Squad Officer
Squad Officer
War Thunder
Elite - Post: 2502

Hot

I'd had a similar issue in a past sale.. Basically, either it works or it doesn't.. and if it doesn't then you're SOL if the time expires before they get back to you.
Avoozl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official Battlefield Welcomer
Deadly - Post: 1954 TOG Bronze Level Supporter

Asleep

that induction book is gold for their recruitment. makes me want to do some programming degree.
Old 17th July 2013, 02:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1359 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Sneaky

Steam's first day of sales usually DDOS's itself. If you're still inclined to buy, put it on your wishlist. They usually repeat some of the prices every now and again through the sale, and the most popular sales are typically brought back on the last day.

But yeah, it sucks that they don't honour what is essentially a purchase at the time that failed due to their infrastructure. I don't know how complex their system is for creating a manual transaction (ie. adjusting the price manually then getting you to buy it), but you'd think there would be around it.

Side note, those bastards must be busy during these sale events... =)

Asmodai aka Saviourself aka Stabbitha aka Azshadoria... or Azsh... Azshaz?
Asmodai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 01:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1439

I had a similar experience, i bought a Magic the Gathering pack for a friend on a sale and they recieved a smaller, less complete pack, i put in a support ticket and they said they could not upgrade the version because the sale had gone to the next day. I told them i don't care how much it costs, the wrong product was delivered to my friends account, they still wouldn't bend so i bought the version that i had orignaly wanted (which included all the content that was in the version that my friend had recieved) and told them to give me a refund and that i had purchased the fuller version and that they should be very careful not to remove any of the content i had had to pay for again. I'm guessing they just issued a refund and didn't remove any content, i don't know but after a big song and dance i finaly got to play Magic with my friend even though the support was extremely poor.
Yvnu is offline   Reply With Quote