I am pleased to say that access to the TOG Mindcrack server will be returned tommorow morning some time after 9am (about 9 hours time). This will allow me to be on-hand/awake if anything goes wrong again.
You will see a few changes to your game. Things are now a lot more like they are on Frontier.
- As seen by the coloured names, players are in groups. As with Frontier, the access to commands is defined by your group but all TOG/VIP/JrVIP have the same commands. If you appear as a Guest and can't interact with anything, tell the Admin team.
- There is now a Message of the Day when you login. This is accessible via the /motd command
- No longer do the admins have to teleport you places. Though it might have trouble with working in non-standard dimensions, now you can do it yourself with:
- /tp - teleport to another player, with warm up and cool down times of 5 secs each
- /spawn - teleport to spawn
- /home set - set your home point
- /home - teleport to your home point
- /bed - teleport to your spawning bed
- You will occassionally see community messages every 30 minutes or so. Some may be funny. Some may be helpful. Some may just be reminders. They are written in [square brackets].
- You may see messages about world saves every 10 minutes. This presently what it is set to save to file all the world changes.
- The world border is now enforced. If you reach it, you will get a message and be prevented from going any further forward. If this doesn't happen on any non-standard dimensions, remember that they too have the border regardless.
There are further commands we hope to add to the server like /warps, but they require testing.
Players might see a comment in-game asking them to /register
a password. You don't have to do it at this at this stage.
It is a built-in feature we cannot yet turn off but it doesn't stop players doing anything. We will explain it once we have done more testing.
Of course, these are all conditional. We have tested these changes on our own machines. We have tested them in isolation on the TOG server, but we don't know how they will go with greater player demands. There are a lot of settings so we may have adjust them as we go.
Things are still buggy. Mindcrack is buggy. The additional mods are buggy. Even Minecraft is buggy. The lag is still an issue. In the coming weeks we may have to try updating Mindcrack and removing various mods. Some we may be able to reinstate. Others might have to go. With the changes we are introducing tomorrow, we will have a lot more flexibility as we won't be as reliant on things like linkbooks from Mystcraft, regardless of how much we like them.
The priority here is to have a server that works, is manageable and is fun. Sometimes the concept of fun has to be tempered in order to make the others possible. We regularly have to do changes like this on the Bukkit servers for updates (even though some of the mods' changes are hidden in the background). Likewise, we may have to do it on the Mindcrack server.
So enjoy your new and improved Mindcrack but be prepared for more changes.