Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Shooter Games: The Range > Firefall

Firefall A FPSMMO in the style of Tribes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th November 2012, 10:02 PM   #281 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Elder Scrolls Online
Elite - Post: 3504 TOG Bronze Level Supporter

Relaxed

Been keeping a loose eye on this for ages, and decided I would get myself an early Christmas pressie and bought myself a gold founder's package.

Spent a couple nights on it now and have enjoyed it for the most part but do have one or two annoyances.

The big one for me is nighttime, it gets stupidly dark and trying to get from one place to the next in the dark is just horrible. This leads on to getting from A to B in general, I seem to spend far too muhc time running around, trying to get over mountains or whatever. Maybe it gets easier later on with better equipped frames, but early on at least it seems I always run out of jumpjetjuice too soon to get up and over a barrier.

Still, I have enjoyed the first few storyline missions and found them fun enough, but obviously they run out far too quickly atm.

I'm finding it a fun mashup between Global Agenda and Mechwarrior (because of the weight/power consumption facet of equipping the battleframes) with a dash of SWG for the thumper grinding.

With no sub, I don't think my founders pack investment will be wasted, I will enjoy it as and when the urge takes me.
Rourke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14th November 2012, 01:17 AM   #282 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4464 TOG Gold Level Supporter

I agree with the night being really dark. While we all have a flashlight (hit X to turn it on) it isn't very powerful - and is pretty much useless if you're sprinting. That said, I did read one thread where they were still developing some forms of lighting, so I wonder if the nights will stay as dark as they are now or get brighter by other indirect sources.

Since you got the big founder's pack you have the LGV Chopper to drive around, so that should speed travel up a bit. However, I believe they have mentioned that faster modes of travel will eventually get put into the game - like shuttles between major cities (like Trans-Hub and Copacabana, etc.). Beta still has a long way to go. Click the link and scroll down to where it says: WE'RE IN BETA. OUR LAUNCH? SOON™
Game | | Free Online Multiplayer FPS | Firefall the GameFree Online Multiplayer FPS | Firefall the Game

Last edited by Zhul; 14th November 2012 at 01:21 AM.
Zhul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 06:24 AM   #283 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1268

Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rourke View Post
Been keeping a loose eye on this for ages, and decided I would get myself an early Christmas pressie and bought myself a gold founder's package.
You too huh?

I just bought the bronze, ensign package, as I wanted to reserve my character name.

I was PM'ing one of the forum moderators, about non beta form members checking for name availability. He told me that you can't do that, but offered to check a short list of names, if I send him one.

Luckly for me "Lurch" was available, and I quickly snatched up a bronze package so I could keep my TOG name. So now I'm "Lurch" on Firefall as well as here! YAY!
Old 23rd November 2012, 08:49 PM   #284 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Elder Scrolls Online

Relaxed

The new patch has REALLY stepped it up a notch, the Chosen are EVERYWHERE and last night they held about half of the map for our shard. The Chosen squad spawns are much bigger and its a nightmare to try to take back a watchtower now, 3 of us gave it the good old college try but were swarmed multiple times during the hack window.

It's a LOT of fun, hope it stays this manic for release.
Old 27th November 2012, 03:14 AM   #285 (permalink)

Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rourke View Post
It's a LOT of fun, hope it stays this manic for release.
Too right. Even though I have Borderlands 2 and Guild Wars 2 installed, I kept returning back to this game over the Thanksgiving weekend, it's just that much fun.

I agree that the Chosen have been really making a showing of late. I spent a few good hours around the Broken Shores watch tower, as wave after wave of Chosen drop pods kept showing up just outside of towers back door. I managed to get a few thumpers down in between waves, as I found a good resource spot near the tower, and the other players thought it was an event thing, so they were defending the thumper while it thumped away. So, got some free defense and resources to boot.

Really love the resource gathering aspect of the game. Using sonic detonators on nodes that I find, or using the scanning hammer to find a spot to put down a thumper, then defending the thing until it's full and you can send it away. That's where engineers with their multi-turrets are so handy.

All in all, it's defiantly a gem of a "freemium" MMOFPS game, which I think is better than Planetside 2 and Tribes, for us PvE care bares.

Last edited by Lurch; 27th November 2012 at 03:16 AM.
Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 05:36 AM   #286 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

PS2 is fun and reminds me a lot of Battlefield 2142, which was awesome fun for running around in a squad with fellow TOGers. Even so, I have to agree that Firefall is good at keeping my interest if I want to quickly leap in a game for a little shoot-em-up (PS2 seems more "serious"). Plus with the active resource gathering and mini-missions that pop up you have something meaningful to do if you just want to solo (at least with stock thumpers). I also enjoy running around in FF just to explore the areas and help random people.

Red5 has big ambitions for the game and I'm looking forward to see where the development process takes them.

Last edited by Zhul; 27th November 2012 at 05:38 AM.
Zhul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 08:07 AM   #287 (permalink)

Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhul View Post
PS2 is fun and reminds me a lot of Battlefield 2142, which was awesome fun for running around in a squad with fellow TOGers.
I agree, in that to get the most out of PS2, you need a decent squad. I found that solo'ing in PS2 just makes you sniper bait, and unless you can group up with a few people, you are going to have a rough time of it.

Since I tend to solo a lot, as my play times vary from day to day, so it's tough to be there for a regular group. Thus, I really enjoy the "casual" PvE element to FF. I can drop in, call down a few thumpers, help out other players secure a SIN node or two, and log out feeling like I did something. This is also why I love GW2.

Games like PS2 and Tribes, that really rely on the presence of other players for their gamplay, really put me off as they suck to play solo.
Old 27th November 2012, 08:38 PM   #288 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Elder Scrolls Online

Relaxed

Quote:
With no sub, I don't think my founders pack investment will be wasted, I will enjoy it as and when the urge takes me.
Just quoting myself as I've been playing the heck out of this recently, I don't know what it is really but I just find myself quite addicted to the faster paced non-stop action feel of the game. In traditional MMOs you can take it quite leisurly and wander around the world, but with this latest patch Firefall just grabs you and it becomes a non-stop kill-fest. There always seems to be something going on.

(*)There is currently a bugged chosen encounter where a tower defense timer is stuck on 00:00:00 and every minute or so 3 drop pods release a full load of chosen around the base of the tower and march towards the tower, the tower we had bug out on us last night was right o nthe beach just outside Copa and it was non-stop, we gathered quite a crowd by the end.

Yeah, Im LOVING this game and just gets bettter and better each patch, if you can get a beta invite go for it, as it is worth a visit.

Feel free to add me to your ingame friends list, I tend to play sometime between 7 and 12pm GMT, toon name: Rourke.

EDIT: (*) This is a developer acknowledged bug,
"It's a bug, but it's a pretty sweet bug as there's some cool things to learn for it"
"While this is a bug, it's a cool one. These are bugs that have nuggets of awesome in them. *plotty fingers*"
So hopefully something very like this is added as future content.

Last edited by Rourke; 27th November 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 29th November 2012, 08:13 PM   #289 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 377

Have they changed the tier progression yet? Do you still start again with crapper gear when buying into the next tier up? I pretty much quit playing after seeing that you start fresh when going into a higher tier, and that you have to farm much more xp for virtually the same gear you had on the lower tier.
OnionS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 10:50 PM   #290 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Currently it still works this way. The key thing is when you unlock a new ability you can craft an item at the molecular printer that's better than the stock item you get when unlocking the ability. This is what really separates the Tier 1 from Tier 2 frames.

That being said, they are still working internally on the progression scheme and as always, things in beta are subject to change.