Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms > Free to grind

Free to grind Discuss Free MMO's here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30th November 2009, 07:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 545

Chatty

if you want nothing but boating..navyfield
if you want boating..but also quests and guilds and stuff..voyage century

Old 11th December 2009, 03:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The Podcast Guy
Ace - Post: 8063

Buzzed

Henri / Ariya / all,

The topic of Free To Play MMOs is a big one, and with all the work being put into reviews / discussion here, this may be worth a sub-forum.

As discussed with Father, I will sticky this thread for now and we will see if a sub-forum should be created.

Thanks for all the discussion & interest here to date!

Ashlann
Ashlann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 04:15 PM   #23 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1076

Happy

Thank you so much for stickying the thread !! We will do our best to post more reviews since we are testing free games all the time

I really hope this will be of use for some of you that don't really know what free games are like, and that it will seduce toggers to try one out.

You guys can always contact Henrideacon or me when you have any questions or suggestions what so ever.

Free to grind |GW2 (Malicia Mangora-Caelifera Chimera-Narika Noratu)
Thank you Coneman for the sig

Ariya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 04:27 PM   #24 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5142

Amused

F2P games are bounding forward in their depth and complexity and visuals. I have been pleasantly surprised by what is on offer without a monthly charge. They are becoming comparable in quality with subscription based games, and will really be putting pressure on the pay to play games.

I am more of a First Person Shooter player, so I came into these games with no expectations, and happy to say that i have been enjoying them enough to jump on daily.
Old 12th December 2009, 08:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave
Elite - Post: 3520

Tired

This is a really great idea. There's getting to be a heap of these free to play MMOs out there now, and finding one that suits personal tastes can be like searching for a needle in a haystack.

I think it would help this topic if we had some kind of template to use for reviewing.

Something along the lines of...

Name: The Game
Genre: Sci-fi/Modern/Historical/Fantasy
Style: MMO RPG/FPS/RTS/TBS
Combat Style: Button mashing/Auto-attack/Auto-attack with abilities/etc
Learning Curve: Complex/balanced/simple
Crafting: Complex/balanced/simple/non
PVP: Forced/encouraged/voluntary/non
Role-Playing: Forced/encouraged/voluntary
Leveling style: Level based (as in WOW), Skill based (as in Ultima Online), Mixed class based (for want of a better term, I'm thinking as in early days SWG)
Server Pop: Very heavy (problems joining), heavy, moderate, light, very light (hard to find other players)

Immersion: 5/10
Graphic Quality: 5/10
Sound Quality: 5/10
Content Quality: 5/10
Overall Rating: 5/10

Brief Description: This is a game...
Pros:
Cons:

Other Comments: Blah blah...

Payment options: Completely free/pay for enhancements.
Download Size: No dl.

That's off the top of my head, further input would be appreciated.

Now I'll go hunt down a free MMO so I can add a review of my own!

Last edited by Justin Kace; 14th December 2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Added to template.
Justin Kace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 09:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5142

Amused

Also a score for Immersion. A great game makes me lose all sense of what's going on around me.

To quote an online source:
Immersion
is the state of consciousness where an immersant's awareness of physical self is diminished or lost by being surrounded in an engrossing total environment; often artificial. This state is frequently accompanied by spatial excess, intense focus, a distorted sense of time, and effortless action.
Old 12th December 2009, 10:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriDeacon View Post
Also a score for Immersion. A great game makes me lose all sense of what's going on around me.
Good call. Always a good thing, but sometimes a bad one too. 'Oh, 4am. I have work in three hours...'
Old 12th December 2009, 11:07 PM   #28 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave

Tired

I'll do a review using the template to get a feel.

Name: MUME (Multi Users in Middle Earth (MUME - Multi Users in Middle Earth))
Genre: Fantasy
Style: MUD (Text based MMO)
Learning Curve: Complex
Crafting: Simple
PVP: Forced
Role-Playing:Encouraged
Leveling style: Level based/Skill based/Mixed class based (see below)
Server Pop: Moderate
Immersion: 7/10
Graphic Quality: 0/10
Sound Quality: 0/10
Content Quality: 9/10

Brief Description: If you are a Tolkien fan, enjoy MUDs (or pen and paper RPGs, if you have never experienced a MUD), and like PvP, then you couldn't go far wrong with MUME.
Choose to join the forces of good, or fight on Sauron's side, PvP is definitely the focus of this well made and engrossing game. Play the character you wish to play, with fully customisable classes. You can create the standard tanks, healers, spell-slinging mages, backstabbing thieves, or mix them up a bit and go for a hybrid of any or all of the above. Level by gaining XP then spend your skill points on the skills you wish to develop. You can buy the skills from any class, but the more you mix up your character the less effective you will be when compared to a pure class.
Then team up with your friends and explore the world of Middle Earth, from the Grey Havens through the Shire, all the way to the far side of the Misty Mountains or Fangorn Forest via either Rivendell or Tharbad. Or even the dreaded Mines of Moria, if you are daring (or foolish) enough! The playing area is HUGE (over 23,000 individual rooms!!).

It's not for the faint of heart though. As the heroes of good or evil die, the victorious side gains influence and its power spreads. And there is nowhere that is entirely safe. Sneaky ork thieves have been found lurking in the woods around the Shire before, and Ork warbands riding their vicious Wargs have raided into the very streets of Bree and Fornost on occasion. In these times no-one is safe, as there is no opting out of PvP.
Dying in PvP carries moderate setbacks, while suffering death to a mob (NPC creature) will carry a steep fine in XP as well.

Other Comments: If you've never played a fully featured MUD before, you'll be amazed at what they can pull off. This game has got a LOT to offer. Fatigue, stealth and backstabbing, mounts, spells, hunger/thirst, lockpicking, day/night/seasons, ageing, melee combat, missile combat, mounted combat, stealing, baking, potion making. I do find that I just keep coming back to this one.
Payment options: Completely free.
Download Size: No download, but requires a terminal server emulator (easily found for free).

Last edited by Justin Kace; 13th December 2009 at 01:04 AM.
Justin Kace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 11:53 PM   #29 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1076

Happy

Great work Justin ! I'll adapt my reviews to your template. Never heard of this MMO, but I'll look into it. Thanks for posting !

@ Henri : I' m like that too, I like losing myself in a game and not only when I'm leveling and raiding but I also love to craft and gather, or just wander around and explore new maps. In rose online I know half of the players on the server since it's a small game so I spend an hour sometimes just walking from one player shop to another to have a look what everyone is selling, and talking to friends I meet along the way.
When I don't feel like leveling I go help out new players sometimes by buffing and healing them with my cleric, hereby making them very happy !

Free to grind |GW2 (Malicia Mangora-Caelifera Chimera-Narika Noratu)
Thank you Coneman for the sig

Ariya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 12:46 AM   #30 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Officer On Leave

Tired

Thanks Ariya.

I'm not sure if MUDs are really counted as MMOs but they are similar so I guess they could be included here. They don't generally have 1000's of players on at the same time, but they are persistent multiplayer worlds.