Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms > Free to grind

Free to grind Discuss Free MMO's here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 8th November 2009, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5113

Amused
Lightbulb The Free MMO review and discussion Thread

A few of us are currently exploring the world of free MMOs. Looks to be plenty of good ones available and we have just began playing Runes of Magic. If you have any info you would like to share about free MMOs, let us know. Also if you are looking for new players to join you.

Old 8th November 2009, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Spammer - Post: 25473

Amused

Not exactly free but... Warhammer Online just launched a new free trial with no time duration. you can play for as long as you like, with as many classes as you like from either faction. you can participate in the game fully; the catch is they cap you off at level 10 (which is a good place to be in terms of tier1 pvp).

Mythic Entertainment | Warhammer Online ? Play the Free Trial!

* Also, they have a new streaming client which is much smaller than typical mmo's of our day to install, it just downloads as necessary so will end up being a lot smaller install (a couple gig instead of several).

We need you, Citizen!
Reoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captains
Elite - Post: 3842

Amused

Actually I think I had the most fun in tier 1 PvP in WAR, so that is an interesting development.
brohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1075

Happy

Thanks for starting the thread Henri ! Waxwork and me have tested quit a few, and we were working on a review of some of them.
This is my opinion about some anime mmo's I've played.

Ragnarok online by Gravity

Ragnarok is a classic among the f2p anime mmo's, it was first released in 2001. The game is partially based on Norse mythology and is set in a 3 dimensional environment, except for the avatars who are 2 dimensional. Pvp is an important part of the game. Guilds can win control over a castle for a certain period of time by winning a war between guilds. The winning guild also gains access to a special dungeon where they have the chance of dropping rare items. A sequel for the game is being developed.
Population : there is still a lot of interest for ragnarok.
Quality : the game is old school, it's time for that long awaited sequel : Ragnarok The gate of the world !
http://iro.ragnarokonline.com/

Rose online by Gravity

Players are in a rush to discover the different planets on rose online. Travelling by cart, and for the lucky few by castle gear, visitors start their journey on the planet of Junon to protect the worlds against the evil Hebarn and his followers. Interplanetary travel is possible by using a flying vessel to continue the battle on the cold and icy planet Luna. At higher level the journey ends for now in the jungle of Eldeon, the third planet.
Population : this game is not so known as ragnarok online so you must not expect a large server population
Quality : the game is very attractive but it's a shame there still are a lot of maps missing. Development isn't Gravity's strongest side.
ROSE Online: The Official Site of ROSE Online North America

Atlantica online by Ndoors

Atlantica online is a turn based mmo where you get up to nine mercenaries to help you out in battle. You can still group with up to two other players. The gameplay reminds me bit of Final Fantasy VII. Your adversary does all his attacks in one time which is good if you don't like waiting. Except for dungeons there is no aggro in this game untill high lvl. The main quest is well worked out and crafting is important in this game too. Pvp tournaments are a big thing in Atlantica and fun because of the turn based gameplay.

Population : well populated
Quality : The turn based gameplay is a nice change from the usual type of Korean mmo's. It makes grinding a lot less boring too.
http://atlantica.ndoorsgames.com/center/default.asp

Free to grind |GW2 (Malicia Mangora-Caelifera Chimera-Narika Noratu)
Thank you Coneman for the sig

Last edited by Ariya; 8th November 2009 at 02:52 PM.
Ariya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Happy

Seal online by YNK

This game has very original graphics and a unique pet system. Players can drop eggs who they must feed at given times to be able to let their pets evolve to the next stage. If they are really lucky they get a rare pet with very good status points. One of the classes,a jester, is sort of original too. He never stops dancing and he throws daggers or playcards at the enemy. For those who are in love there is a very good marriage system that gives nice rewards when you have been married for a certain number of days in game. When the couple sits down together you get this animation of a couple sitting on a bench, holding hands and even kissing when they have been married long enough.
Population : this game is not very populated
Quality : don't be fooled by the sweet things I wrote above, this is a game that is challenging for hardcore players aswell. Be prepared to do a lot of farming to get that special drop that will finally complete your endgame set of equipment.

DONTBLYNK ::: sealonline.dontblynk.com

Dragonica online (side-scroller) by IAH games

Dragonica is a 3D sidescrolling game where you fight your way through the levels as a kind of Super Mario. The game has all the elements of a normal mmo such as pvp, guilds and four classes to chose from. The graphics are very cute and funny, when a person dies for example you see there eyes bulging out and their mouth falling open, like one would see in certain cartoons. There are instances that you can solo or harder ones that require grouping.
Population : there are separate servers for NA, Europe and Asia. They block European IP's on the NA server and vice versa.
Quality : this game is just so much fun ! You can use a joystick but the game plays smoothly too if you use a keyboard.

Dragonica: the free to play arcade-style 3D side-scrolling MMORPG | Free PC online game presented by gPotato

Old 8th November 2009, 02:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Happy

Ether Saga online by Perfect World

ESO is based on one of the four great classic Chinese novels : Journey to the West. The graphics are very stylish with beautiful Chinese landscapes and buildings. This game is a good choice for people who don't like grinding. You never run out of quests and due to the numerous daily events you level up quit easily. At higher level you need to kill a whole lot of mobs for every quest, but since almost every class has very good area over effect skills this isn't a problem. Transportation is a lot of fun on ESO because you get to fly on a cloud. Players can easily transform themselves in different kinds of mobs when they drop a transformation card on them. This comes in very handy when you are doing instances later on because some of these transformations give you good defense. Pets are important in this game, you need two of them, one with good stats for your character to meld with to get the extra status points from the pet. The other one assists you when you fight.
Population : there are 2 servers who each have 15 realms (channels) so you never get the impression that the game is crowded
Quality : the game is excellent, the only negative thing about it is the difficulty to get good upgraded equipment, so get yourself ready for some fast leveling and a long time of farming except if you are willing to pay for the equipment upgrades with real money in the item mall.

Ether Saga Online - Free Anime MMORPG | Play Free Online Video Games

Fiesta online, a turn-based mmo by Outspark

This is a very casual mmo. There is no stressful level grinding, you can easily reach endlevel in one to two months. The classes are well balanced and the drop rate for getting good items is one of the best that I have seen. The best thing about this game is that you can participate in a daily event called the Kingdom Quest. The number of participants for these quests is limited. In a group of up till 15 people you are then summoned into one of the eight Kingdom Quest instances. You get an award for participating in these according to the number of mobs you managed to kill. The crafting system in this game is nice too.
Population : The game is played by millions of people all over the world, you won't get lonely playing this one.
Quality : This is a good game overall, it has something for everyone. I would especially recommend it to people who are new to the world of mmo's.
http://fiesta.outspark.com/

Last edited by Ariya; 8th November 2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 9th November 2009, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 545

Chatty

very nicely done Ariya I would add some games but I will try and go into as much detail as you did with your ones all copied from wikipedia i might add

Anarchy Online (AO)
Published and developed by Funcom. Released in the summer of 2001, the game was first in the genre to include a science-fiction setting, dynamic quests, free trials, and in-game advertising. The game's ongoing story revolves around the fictional desert planet Rubi-Ka, the source of a valuable mineral known as "notum". Fighting for military and political power on Rubi-Ka are the Omni-Tek corporation (owners of the planet's thousand-year lease), the separatist Clans, terrorist groups, aliens, and ancient civilizations.
Population: In hot zones it can be pretty packed aswell as around quest areas but if you decide to run off and explore well you can literally go for hours without finding anyone and getting lost (like i did on numerous occasions)
Quality: The game can sometiems go slow and be a tad wierd with your bun double firing or not firing at all and your character getting stuck in the floor and what not but overall its a good game
Old 9th November 2009, 07:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5113

Amused

This list of MMOs is a good read for someone like me who is just starting out...

Free MMORPG - MMO Games - Onrpg.com
Old 9th November 2009, 07:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Happy

Thanks Coldcam. Never played that one but it reminds me a bit of Phantasy Star online. So I'm not the only one that gets lost while wandering around on maps ! hehe

Old 9th November 2009, 09:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 545

Chatty

haha its like my fave past time in game...i dont care about level i just love exploring oh and jumping haha