Old 11th June 2010, 03:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Lethal - Post: 6450

Cynical
Default LOTRO going F2P

Turbine have recently announced that following the success of DDO moving to F2P then LOTRO is going to follow it this fall/autumn.

There has been quite a bit of discussion down in the LOTRO division but I thought I should mention it in here as well
Markan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12th June 2010, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2694

Thanks Markan.

I had read elsewhere that Warner Bros. owns Turbine Entertainment and the decision came from Warner Bros for the change of business model for LoTRO.

I guess those with Lifetime subscriptions to LoTRO will get extra goodies when the change takes hold.

Atrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Cynical

It's actually only about a week away from beta. If anyone is interested in seeing it then the beta signup link is below.

LOTRO Goes Free to Play!

It looks like the decision was Turbines though as its way too close to have been a WB decision. I think the turn around of DDO was too much for them to ignore - and if they can recreate that on LOTRO which is far from in the doldrums like DDO was then they may be onto a real winner.

And yes for people like me with lifetime accounts we continue to get free access to the game and get a monthly stipend of points to spend in the shop They have similar deals for people on recurring subscriptions as well - so if you pay a sub you get more but you can still play free.
Old 15th June 2010, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2646

Goofy

I dont understand why there is a beta for this - its just a change to the payment structure isnt it?
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Cynical

The beta includes some changes to zones and quests to accommodate F2P, some more changes to the initial zones, an in-game store, DX11 support, a new region (Enedwaith) and some changes to the way storage is handled
Old 15th June 2010, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2646

Goofy

Fair enough - I'm just keen to try it out
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 12:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9308

Breezy

Talk about slow I nearly missed this thread.

Sent me request. Thanks for posting mate.
Old 25th August 2010, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Lord of the Rings
Deadly - Post: 1241

Busy

If you want to get a bit of a look at what you can expect from LoTRO under Free to Play mode you can head on over to my little LoTRO Beta Blog.

There are plenty of screen shots and hopefully is pretty easy and quick for folks to follow.

Moza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 01:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Lord of the Rings
Deadly - Post: 1241

Busy

The adventures of Guzzlin enter a new Chapter.
The Lonely Mountain is reclaimed and Guzzlin is set a task that will reverberate for decades.
Head on over to the new post to find out how he fares.

Moza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 02:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Guild Wars
Elite - Post: 2880

Fine

Thanks for the blog Moza. Would you mind answering just one question please, how do you move your character? Is it keyboard only (wsda) or hold down mouse button and use w key to go forward, or can you point and click ( point curser to a spot on the ground, click and character moves to it).
The answer to this is whether I can play the game or not.
I did apply for the beta but unfortunately it looks like I've missed out. Never mind, I guess it will be open soon.

Thank you to Shogun for my sig.
Ellie Isabella- Elementalist: Ritzy Ellie- Ritualist: Ellie's Silver Lady- Ranger: Ellie's Mesmer: Ellie Playing Monk.

Silver Lady is offline   Reply With Quote