The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Free to grind (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/free-grind/)
-   -   Alganon is going free to play (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/free-grind/315398-alganon-going-free-play.html)

Ariya 22nd August 2010 11:17 PM

Alganon is going free to play

Quote:

Quest Online recently announced that Alganon, its Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) game is going Free-To-Play:

"After almost four years of development and a much publicized false start in December 2009, under new experienced leadership and guidance, Alganon was finally completed and officially launched at the end of April 2010. The game client was sold for $19.95 with no monthly subscription commitment and supported by a robust and extensive micro-transaction system.

The new Alganon Free-To-Play business model removes the final barrier of entry to this epic and fun fantasy based MMO game. Starting on Friday August 13th 2010, gamers who donít already own Alganon will be able to download it from http://www.alganon.com and play for free.

Read the rest of the article on freemmogamer.com :

Alganon is going Free to Play - Free MMORPG and Free MMO Games - FreeMMOGamer.com

KiwiRed 23rd August 2010 12:08 AM

I had some traffic left over last month, and decided to download the client and try it... When it was described it as an unabashed WoW-clone they weren't kidding (even with the post-launch UI changes to try make it less blatant). They forgot to mention that it was a clone of vanilla WoW, and not a very good clone (think low-fidelity copy - I'm reminded more of WC3 than WoW, to be honest).

I probably should give it some more time to see if there's actually a good game in there, but even for free I'm not feeling I'd get my moneys worth if I was to go looking. (Back to Spellforce, I guess - at least that's supposed to feel 7 years old)

Ariya 23rd August 2010 03:28 AM

You're an old school mmo player just like me =)

Haven't tested Alganon, it 's on my long list of things I have to do.

May I suggest Runes of Magic for you? I know this is promoting my own division, but I would be interested in your opinion. They say runes resembles wow a bit too.
Allthough it's more a cross between wow and warhammer, and it's getting hard to compare because they added a lot of new content.

KiwiRed 23rd August 2010 10:53 AM

I had a quick look at RoM a while back, but the lack of race choices grates - either skinny humans, or skinny humans with pointy ears. I haven't an opinion on the game because I haven't been able to create a character :P

Found a more even-handed article on Alganon than my dismissive rant, btw: Rise and Shiny recap: Alganon - Massively

DeWe 25th August 2010 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have 2 toons in this game. Willa Fingerdo ( lv7) on Hokk server, and Vas Ectomy (40) on Adrios server. I havent played in a while.

I have only one word to discribe this game - UNIMPRESSIVE .. I dont know how to discribe this game because this is a see to believe kind of thing.

The community is nice. Because only the really really patient have stayed.
The population is lllllllllllllllloooooooooowwwwwwww. I logged in at 8:30 pm PST and did a search to see how many where playing Kujix (playable race) side and the total including myself was 6. NOTE that the population has been this low since it first went F2P(with purchase of client)
I did give the game a chance as in 40 lvs worth, BUT that 40 levels was achieved in a couple weeks and with a level cap at 50 thats way too fast for me and soloed too.
Now the game is completely free to play to lv 30 after that you need to buy lv cap increasers to get to 50. I also saw something in the cash shop that had something to do with chat in game ( my first thought was its cheaper to get ventrillo) This game isnt good enough to force people into the cash shop but for some reason they think it is.

This game went from P2P, to Purchase client play for free, to free client, f2p, cash shop to advance HEHe

I personally wouldn't recommend this game to my friends.

EDIT Oh a image is attached, kind of blurry too. I'll post a couple more.

DeWe 25th August 2010 04:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A few more pics of my toon in Alganon .
My mount use to travel faster than the world would load. Sometimes ended up in rocks after the world would finnish loading. lol Also wanted a screen shot of the 9 items ( yes 9 total ) being sold in the auction because thats the most I've seen in there.

No you don't need glasses the screenies are low quality for some reason.

MMOGAddict 26th August 2010 10:07 AM

As a general principal I avoid anything even remotely associated with Derek Smart.

kiwiitis 12th November 2010 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMOGAddict (Post 2883414)
As a general principal I avoid anything even remotely associated with Derek Smart.

Good heavens is he still around.Presuming it is the DS from what was it Battleship,Battlecruiser??

Apologies if not same guy.

Aldmw 12th November 2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwiitis (Post 2956309)
Good heavens is he still around.Presuming it is the DS from what was it Battleship,Battlecruiser??

Apologies if not same guy.

The very same.

Snott 12th November 2010 02:50 PM

apparently he will turn up here and flame us. Derek Smart - Encyclopedia Dramatica

Never heard of the guy, but sounds like an... amusing chappy.