Old 13th April 2011, 05:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Average - Post: 197

Breezy
Default Spiral Knights

PA linked it in the rant, so I thought I'd install it- fairly cute, so far- nice system. Any TOGgers planing to play?

My char: Brigid - if you want to add me or give it a whirl.

Spiral Knights - Home

~I understand about indecision, and I don't care if I get behind-
People living in competition: All I want is to have my peace of mind...~

Last edited by The DCG; 13th April 2011 at 08:40 AM.
The DCG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3rd May 2011, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2088

I just heard of this from another source, looks kinda neat. One interesting thing is the company behind it (Three Rings), and what their offices look like:

Finding Nemo at a Game Studio's Steampunk Office Suite
Specs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 484

Fine

Ive been playing this with friends since it arrived on steam, and im actually really liking it so far. I did download it at one stage before and only dabbled with it solo, but now im playing through with premade and pug groups which makes it much more enjoyable. One surprising aspect of the game is the challenge; for a cutesy, simple looking game it does at times pack quite a punch. The arena challenge rooms are a survival type of game, and things get pretty frantic.

The mist system is a bit hit and miss IMO, but you do get a free mist tank after the tutorial (which i'd recommend saving) which refills your energy to 100%.
You get 100 mist energy each day, and to travel to each floor of the dungeon it costs you 10. You can also use mist to revive on death, but its not recommended as other players can revive you in battle and the energy costs get very steep.

I spent 3.05 (approx 5 USD) which allowed me to buy 1600 extra energy, which is going to last me weeks. Id say if you enjoy the game, put $10 aside and buy yourself some mist, for that money you would end up having over 3k which is going to take an absolute age to get through unless youre playing for hours and hours a day. I do wonder how bad reliance on cash shop mist is going to be at higher stages though.

MMOHUT review/video
YouTube - ‪Spiral Knights Gameplay - First Look HD‬‏
Spiral Knights - MMO Hut

Aldmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1031

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldmw View Post
I do wonder how bad reliance on cash shop mist is going to be at higher stages though.
Probably a bit - depends though. If you plan on crafting stuff (aka alchemy) beyond tier 2 you are obviously going to have to shell out for the energy. Here's the table from the wiki
Alchemy Cost:
  • ★☆☆☆☆: 200 crowns/ 10 energy
  • ★★☆☆☆: 400 crowns/ 50 energy
  • ★★★☆☆: 1,000 crowns / 200 energy
  • ★★★★☆: 2,500 crowns/ 400 energy
  • ★★★★★: 5,000 crowns/ 800 energy
And yeah, as noted you regenerate up to a max of 100 naturally over a 22 hour period.
You can also purchase energy using crowns and currently the market rate is around 4.3k for 100 energy.

Overall though I'm quite enjoying it. It's a nice simple game with a good mix of action and adventure (and yeah, when it gets hard it can get tactical).

I'd love to play with more TOGers - it's free guys so give it a go.*

* If you do add me as a friend on Steam then let me send you an invite so I can get a free hat.

Uplay: noremac2020 (add me!!) Warframe: FRIENDLYUNIT (Use this link to sign up to get 7day XP booster)
---
This disclaimer has been automatically added.
FRIENDLYUNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4186

I've got it, will be in on and off as a casual mmo filler for me. Fun little game

Anyone started a TOG guild at all....?
Old 5th July 2011, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1251

Sneaky

I'm also playing and have spend $5 on it.

I also really loved Puzzle Pirates and OOO (Three Rings) design philosophy in general.

You are stood on a narrow road between The Land and whence you came. - MUD1
Mesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1031

I've not spent any money on it but would be interested in a guild. They have an energy cost to set up so I dunno, we'd want a few regulars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRIENDLYUNIT View Post
If you plan on crafting stuff (aka alchemy) beyond tier 2 you are obviously going to have to shell out for the energy.
Well I just crafted a 3 star item.
When I said shell out for the energy I really didnt realise that the 5k or so you can buy energy for (current prices) with regular in game money isn't really that huge an amount as I though.

When you look at auction house prices for those items it's usually worth it. You just need to save up and make a few runs though to build the cash.

Uplay: noremac2020 (add me!!) Warframe: FRIENDLYUNIT (Use this link to sign up to get 7day XP booster)
---
This disclaimer has been automatically added.
FRIENDLYUNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 03:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

There isn't much more to this game the 4-person runs through dungeons, yes?
Having said that, it's still unbelievably fun - and my spare hand I an have a coffee or bourbon still while smashing things
Old 27th August 2012, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 2

How many gamers on TOG would join if I start an "Older Gamers" guild in Spiral Knights? I am also GulliverBFG in SK, and also in Steam. Does anyone here play often enough and play well enough to make it worth the time and effort to set up and manage a guild for older gamers?

I do enjoy helping younger players develop, but I am getting tired of kiddie drama with younger players and even GMs who are about the same age as my daughter.

Looking for some players who understand coop is about teamwork and that makes the game more fun.

Would I be trading kiddie drama for grup drama, or are there some people here who want to chat about life, the universe and everything (sci-fi or otherwise), while also relaxing by blasting some sprites in the Spiral Knights Clockwork dungeons?
GulliverBFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 07:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Would but GW2 is sucking up my time now