The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Free to grind (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/free-grind/)
-   -   Star Trek Online going Free2Play! (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/free-grind/384426-star-trek-online-going-free2play.html)

Reoh 7th September 2011 02:57 PM

Star Trek Online going Free2Play!

Courtesy of our good friends at Kotaku.

Quote:

The free-to-play model being applied to Star Trek Online really isn’t all that restricting to free (silver) players, something that might annoy those that plan of shelling out $US14.95 a month for gold status. Free players are limited to two character slots instead of three; 48 inventory and bank slots as opposed to 72 and 96 respectively for paying players; and they won’t be able to create new missions using the game’s Foundry system, though they’ll still be able to play player-created content to their hearts’ content.
I kind of enjoyed the game back in beta but didn't feel it was "ready" at launch. They've had a bunch of "seasons" of episodic content added since then along with a bunch of new features so I'm looking forward to shipping out and checking out how the game has changed.

How about you?

Rickety 8th September 2011 12:35 PM

I liked the space combat actually but the ground missions seemed a little 'samey'. Might give it another go.

Snowbull 8th September 2011 01:14 PM

I have a lifetime sub and have not played it for over 6 months. I intend to go back and see what the changes are.

The game lacks a bit in the space travel concept for me.. I do like the space battles, though I would prefer to have a real 3D environment (don't know if they have done that yet).

Definitely worth a look if its going f2p for those who have not yet.

camdy 9th September 2011 10:41 PM

i just wish i could do space combat from the bridge :(

Reoh 10th September 2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camdy (Post 3257649)
i just wish i could do space combat from the bridge :(

She canny handle'it captin!

Sente 10th September 2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reoh (Post 3255115)
I kind of enjoyed the game back in beta but didn't feel it was "ready" at launch. They've had a bunch of "seasons" of episodic content added since then along with a bunch of new features so I'm looking forward to shipping out and checking out how the game has changed.

I have played the game on and off since beta (off at the moment) and there has certainly been improvements. The featured episodes are great.

This transition will fit my wallet better.

Reoh 11th September 2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sente (Post 3258415)
I have played the game on and off since beta (off at the moment) and there has certainly been improvements. The featured episodes are great.

This transition will fit my wallet better.

Glad to hear it :)

Macro 16th September 2011 12:08 PM

Any word on when they'll be making the transition to f2p?

Dread 24th September 2011 09:01 PM

Does the ground combat still blow rancid goats balls???

Is the Space Combat still like PotBS where you just keep turning round and round and keep firing until someone dies??