Old 9th July 2008, 07:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 5337

Daring

Downloading to have a look

Old 10th July 2008, 04:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1009

I got in on the first round of testing. Being left handed i tried to put my movement keys to the arrows and couldn't remap them. In game I asked if there was a work around. Some kid said "why would you want to do that you noob fag?" I dont think I'll be playing. lol (deleted)

Yukkione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 04:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
JGR
Deadly - Post: 1672

Amused
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaw View Post
Combat Arms beta testing starts today.
The teaser looks awsome, much like COD4 but more blood and guts.
If anyone has a fileplanet subscription (as i do) or has access to the closed beta, i will see you on the battlefield.
I love beta testing.
Hope it's better than crysis, i tested that for months and they still stuffed up the release, but thats another story.

Pls post here if you r going to join in the beta, its free, looks like a cross between America's army and COD4. I believe this will be the next USA recruiting game like AA was.
free to D/L free to play.

here's a link to have a look...
Combat Arms - Online FPS Action
This has probably been covered since I have come into the tread late...<shrug>

This game is essentially the new (original) "Medal of Honour", imo...
And even better than than "Medal of Honour Airborne", (imo)...
It feels so much like the original MOH.
The maps aren't as cluttered as Airborne and more like the original game.
No opening and closing doors with the associated sounds to add enemy detection but I understand the addition of this feature is too system intensive creating lag problems. The original MOH was a masterpiece of gaming/programming.

A "couple" of things that I particularly like is the sound of the weapons...A full bodied satisfying sound...and naturally being able to pack both a sniper and assault rifle.
The "Headshot" feature I first encountered in "Elite Sniper(?)" is great and the "Revenge Kill" is emotionally very satisfying also.
It's great that that the AP mines don't kill but damage your team with FF on. If you are so negilent to run into them it is your fault. And someone puts them in a dumb place you can destroy them.
The grenade throwing system seems pretty dumb to me tho.
There is the "bunnyhopping" abomination that infects many of these game tho, because you can't go prone (typical original MOH stuff), you don't get the "dolphin diving nonsense"

A very satisfying game atm even with overseas servers.
Best get in early to noob harvest...
When I was a recruit and in the recruit server I owned.
Reminded me of the days where I was one of the first to have Cable when most had dialup.
<Sigh>...those were the days...

I just hope they create dedicated Australian servers for this game since MOH Airborne was a complete disappointment because of the attrocious lag problems associated with overseas servers.

A biggg thumbs up at this point in time...
I am hooked...Bye-bye BF2142 when the Combat Arms server isn't down <sigh>...
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...s?OpenDocument
JGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 05:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
JGR

Amused

[Patch] July 9th 2pm ~ July 10th 10am (PDT)
DATE 7/9/2008 VIEW 21421 Combat Arms will be going through a scheduled Server Patch on Wednesday, July 9th, 2008.

This one involves all the game servers, and it'll last for approximately 20 hours.
We will be updating new game contents including new game modes, maps and game systems during patch.
Old 11th July 2008, 09:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

thanks for the feedback JGR... i'll have a look at this now
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 01:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
JGR

Amused

Update:

I am having a whale of a time on the beta even with the overseas servers.
Having amazing success with the sniper rifle (on the snowy map) which surprises me.
That will change when more heavyweights with l33t skills and systems get into the game, so get into the game earlier rather than later is my advice.

Bunnyhopping is in vogue again tho......
And nade spamming on some maps......
But the game mostly *feels* right, atm at least.

You have the enemy spawing behind you nonsense that you get with some FPS but there are dedicated spawn points (like in the original MOH).
There is a "god" mode for at least 3 seconds to help with spawn campers, which is good and some nifty things like poison/nerve gas and gas masks
You can control where you team spawns to some degree like in the original MOH and this adds to the strategy of the game.

Come along...
Be there or be square...

Might be worth TOG setting up a CA division if there are dedicated local servers.
Old 12th July 2008, 02:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Daring

I have been giving this game a good go since last night. Only problem I see currently is the maps are small and there is a lot of spawn camping. I have always fought my way out but some people just complain

Weapons are good, seem easy to use and great fun, if you see me online look for Hikky
Old 12th July 2008, 06:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 6202

Lurking

Also look for Beavis as well,played the closed beta and thought it was fun,being playing the open beta on and off for the past week or so.Got 19 knife fills in one round of Junk Flea,everyone are so busy shooting they don't notice Beavis sneaking around stabby stabby
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 01:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
JGR

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
I have been giving this game a good go since last night. Only problem I see currently is the maps are small and there is a lot of spawn camping. I have always fought my way out but some people just complain

Weapons are good, seem easy to use and great fun, if you see me online look for Hikky
The snowy map is probably the biggest? Well it seems to be and that is the one I play more often.
I agree some of the maps are on the small side, hence my coment about "nad spamming being a problem.
You are also right about the spawn camping.
People will always do it (as in the original MOH)...
And people will always call it cheap (which it is) and whinge and whinge.
I think it is a case of dealing with it and:
Do unto others before they have a chance to do unto you..."

I am not a fan of spawn camping but it a strategic part of the game not to allow them to dominate the the finite number of spawn points and hem you in, hello???...lol
They were trying to do this on the snowy map where one particular spawn point is very open to long distant camping.
The good news is that you can purchace smoke bombs (which cover a surprisingly large area) to allow you to get to safety. Just a matter of using your noggin really.
Other smaller maps are prone to you being boxed in and nade spammed.

Before you guys start screaming "CHEAT"...
When you get to level 2 unlocks (I am still at level one) you can purchase a portable infantry detector that worked on heart beats ala BF2142.

There is cheating without using hax, but this is available in any game of this type if you have a mate sitting next to you playing also. Say no more...

Tonight there seemed to be some sort of exploiting the programming with has been done before in some games. Not sure how it is done but the end result is that you move 20 times faster than everyone else and I am convinced it has nothing to do with wearing running shorts and light weight weaponry.
It may have been called "Time warping" in the past, but don't quote me. I think it has something to do with tweaking you connection settings.
It is so obvious it is impossible to not notice so why they do it is beyond me because they will be caught out and banned...Kids...<sigh>

It is a little buggy and it is annoying when you get stuck on something which happens too frequently and you wait for the enemy to put u out of your pain.

Some servers are a waste of time playing on, but overall when you consider they are over seas, it isn't too bad. You just have to be more strategic rather than tactical in your appoach and be prepared to be called the proverbial camper, for example, which hasn't happened to me yet but it surely will...<sigh>
If you have a poor connection what are you supposed to do?
I am not anyone's butt monkey, thank you very much...lol

End of report...
Old 13th July 2008, 03:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

Daring

Already seen a hacker on the servers, Using a speed hack with a MG and just flying around the map Still fun though.