Old 15th July 2008, 12:09 AM   #21 (permalink)
JGR
Deadly - Post: 1672

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
Already seen a hacker on the servers, Using a speed hack with a MG and just flying around the map Still fun though.
There are so many servers out there.
When I see a "rocket man", I just log off or hide in a corner until the game is over if I want to keep my experience points gained so far.

Update.
I said there weren't any opening doors.
I was wrong.
There is a vast underground tunnel/bunker system under the Snowy Valley map. Look for the grey doors and it will say to enter "E" to open it.
Surprisingly not many people used it perhaps because like me, they didn't know about it. Just learnt the existence only 2 days ago.

There are so many strategic options in this map in particular.
It's all I am playing atm.
I want to watch other stategies and learn all the nooks and crannies...all the different tactics. There is quite a lot to learn.

An interesting part of the game is that there aren't any medic packs (though hax will probably look into this aspect some time down the track)
The significance of this is quite profound.
Virtually all combat confrontations will result in some personal damage and ultimately you will leave this mortal coil.
This means even the best player can be owned by a newbie if his health is low and this adds greatly to the satisfaction of bring down a skilled hombre.
Using a sniper rifle often means a single hit kill even on those with heavy armour because of loss of health due to previous battles.
The high powered sniper rifle brings down a recruit or lower ranks without any problems with one kill.

When you first start the game you will enter the "recruit server" (Newbies)...
Be aware that once you are promoted beyond a particular rank you will not be able to re-enter. Nice touch.
I was embarassed by how I was owning the servers and dropped out without realising, not that would have been comfortable playing with my greater experience/rank.

Another aspect to the game I have found is that the realisation that you are going to kark it sooner rather than later makes being fragged much more tolerable (appart from spawn camping tactics).
Psychological you are soothed in the knowledge that your health put you at a disadvantage.
Together with the head shot, revenge shot, double kill, multiple kills notifications, there is a great many opportunities to achieve emotional satisfaction.
There is a great deal of "emotional stoking" in this game and the designers obviously had a very profound look at the psychological aspect to the game. Quite amazing.

Cheers...
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...s?OpenDocument
JGR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15th July 2008, 02:08 AM   #22 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3762

renting weapons in a fps scares the hell out of me.

korean grind mmorpg meets the fps.

"that wasn't lag, that was the Matrix changing " -Me
Deadfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 03:29 AM   #23 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1113

LOL I was thinking the same thing.
Bovinicusrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 04:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
JGR

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadfyre View Post
renting weapons in a fps scares the hell out of me.

korean grind mmorpg meets the fps.
It isn't an issue at all.
I have all the weapons/gear I need and then some.
Just playing the game earns you game points (GPs) to replentish.
Try a weapon for a day and see if you like it before committing to a long term arrangement.
You do realise you dont have to pay real money?
You earn GPs together with experience points.
Old 15th July 2008, 05:06 PM   #25 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 6141

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGR View Post
It isn't an issue at all.
I have all the weapons/gear I need and then some.
Just playing the game earns you game points (GPs) to replentish.
Try a weapon for a day and see if you like it before committing to a long term arrangement.
You do realise you dont have to pay real money?
You earn GPs together with experience points.
I think that only applies with the beta version,the impression I get from the CA forums is that when the final game is released you will only get the basic weapons (m16) etc.You are going to get a game for free,but pay for upgrades,the other games released on Nexon are similar.
Beavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 05:19 PM   #26 (permalink)
JGR

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
I think that only applies with the beta version,the impression I get from the CA forums is that when the final game is released you will only get the basic weapons (m16) etc.You are going to get a game for free,but pay for upgrades,the other games released on Nexon are similar.
Not according to what is posted on their site:

First, Combat Arms will never cost a penny to play. Period.
Second, we believe that in any first-person shooter, being able to use real money to buy an uber gun sucks. It makes the game dependant on money and not skill (thus defeating the purpose of Free-to-Play), and skill is what a first-person shooter is all about. No point in competing if some new guy has a mystical weapon with magic bullets that always seem to find your head.
So, no weapons will be bought with Nexon Cash. Ever.
If you're looking for the Golden Gun that will help you pwn everything with one shot, look elsewhere, because it's not here. Skills are not bought, they are earned.
You want that new, awesome weapon? Keep playing, and you'll eventually get it. All players will be on an equal footing weapon-wise (grenades included). We make money by selling the cosmetic items stuff like shades, different uniforms, helmets, etc. Nothing game balance related is sold in the Cash Shop, and it's going to stay that way.
You won't have to pay a subscription fee either. Every single one of Nexon's games are Free-to-Play, and subscription free. You need a free Nexon Passport to play, and that's it. If you have one already, just download the client and start playing. In addition, don't expect to be bombarded with endless ads we don't expect you to pay not to see them. We want gun clicks, not mouse clicks.
That's our promise to the player base, and we're going to keep it.

Old 15th July 2008, 05:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
JGR

Amused

I will further investigate.
I assumed you just pay for the game when it comes out as a commercial product.
If they have done the sort of nonsense you mentioned before then I am out of the game since if you don't make a stand, all games will become money leeching propositions.
I go into a games shop and make sure it isn't one of those ongoing cost abominations like WoW.

According to the quote I posted above, you simply pay for the cosmetics and not the weapon upgrades etc, if I understand it correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
Apparently,when the game is released you get it free to play,but you have to pay actual dollars to get upgrades?.from their forums you get some free weapons to start with and you can 'rent' weapons for a time period.In the beta you have a bank balance to start with and you can rent different weapons (as you rank up),you can rent from 1 day to 90days.
I dont think this is a good idea........I would rather buy the game and be done,I will keep you guys posted on any further news
I mised this post for some reason...

Last edited by JGR; 15th July 2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: ;)
Old 15th July 2008, 05:58 PM   #28 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 5337

Daring

You can spend real money to buy Nexus credits to use in game, but again you can only get the weapons etc for a limited time. You will not keep them. This is the same as some games I used to play like Gunz the Duel etc
Old 15th July 2008, 06:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
JGR

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
You can spend real money to buy Nexus credits to use in game, but again you can only get the weapons etc for a limited time. You will not keep them. This is the same as some games I used to play like Gunz the Duel etc
This is a new concept to me.
Are you saying you have the option to:
1. Play the game and get GPs through experience...or...
2. Buy GPs using real money?

If this is the case there isn't really a problem for me since I play quite a lot atm.
Old 15th July 2008, 09:17 PM   #30 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 5337

Daring

That's correct JGR, people can spend real money and purchase GP or in this case, Nexus cash to spend in game on items, some people will do this and get items for 90 days and that's fair enough if they want to do that, I recently brought the SR25 for 7 days and some gear for my M16 with just what I made from playing. Some people also have more money they can waste on things like this so more power to them, myself, I like to earn what I use.