Old 15th July 2008, 10:13 PM   #31 (permalink)
JGR
Deadly - Post: 1672

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
That's correct JGR, people can spend real money and purchase GP or in this case, Nexus cash to spend in game on items, some people will do this and get items for 90 days and that's fair enough if they want to do that, I recently brought the SR25 for 7 days and some gear for my M16 with just what I made from playing. Some people also have more money they can waste on things like this so more power to them, myself, I like to earn what I use.
That's OK in my book. Doesn't spoil the game for me.
They still have to earn the experience points to unlock weapons.
I haven't seen a need to change my kit for a while now and my GPs are building up nicely. I am assuming these points don't expire over time.
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...s?OpenDocument
JGR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th July 2008, 04:06 AM   #32 (permalink)
JGR

Amused

Update:

Not looking good, ppl...
I have started reading the Nexon forum posts.
I have the impression there are no plans to start up local servers here in OZ or basically anywhere outside of America.
Looks like the there is little future in Australian TOGladites getting serious about this game if we have to play on servers that are so far away.
Damn...It is such a good game too...
I still enjoy it but forever playing on servers that are half way around the world??? I don't think so Tim...<sigh>

Well it was a very fun week none the less.
"It is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all" I guess...
Old 16th July 2008, 10:22 AM   #33 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Retired Advisor
Retired Journalist
Retired Advisor
Elite - Post: 3869

Devilish

However keep in mind the netcode in this game seems to be very good, although the servers are half way around the world I have not experienced any major lag issues yet (actually correction, once I had an issue). Most of the time the game runs fine. It would be nice however to see ping rates somewhere and I have put in some suggestions to this effect on the forum.

Also you can pick up any weapon that someone drops, so if people go and hire big guns, just shoot em and take the weapon

Last edited by Wiz_74; 16th July 2008 at 10:35 AM.
Wiz_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 04:35 PM   #34 (permalink)
JGR

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz_74 View Post
However keep in mind the netcode in this game seems to be very good, although the servers are half way around the world I have not experienced any major lag issues yet (actually correction, once I had an issue). Most of the time the game runs fine. It would be nice however to see ping rates somewhere and I have put in some suggestions to this effect on the forum.

Also you can pick up any weapon that someone drops, so if people go and hire big guns, just shoot em and take the weapon
I think I have been recently playing at the wrong times during the day. I even get problems with Australian servers then too. Might need to be more selective when I do play.

Well I read recently that the servers are located in California, and that is a lot closer than the US east coast. Probably why the game is still playable here in Sydeney <sic> and why Nexon includes us in their gaming network (The Europeans don't have access ATM due to lag/language considerations it is speculated in the forums).

Yeah...I have read a thread about the introduction of a ping indicator.
I assumed this would be part of the finished game but I am not so sure now.
Seems to be many complaints from the American players about overseas players lagging the system. The ping indicator would be a sure way to make enemies...lol

I don't think OZZIE TOGladites could be competitive in competitions which I was hoping might develop some day.
Such is life...<shrug>

Oh...When I first started there was a brat that was TKing for the better weapons. God...this is so foreign to my way of thinking...Kids...
Old 17th July 2008, 07:24 PM   #35 (permalink)
JGR

Amused

Update:

Culture shock. After playing on Australian and NZ servers, the behaviour of some of the players is a slap in the face.
You think you have seen bad behaviour/language on our servers. It ain't nothing compared to what goes on there.
From what I understand, Nexon is very easy going with most things. The suggestion is that banning for this sort of behaviour won't happen.

Glitching in the Snowy Valley map (the only one I am playing atm) is in epidemic proportions. There are 2 rocks ppl can glitch into with no shortage of ppl wanting to do it. One guy made the telling comment that if he didn't do it, some one else would. Many seem to have no concept of the damaging effects to their reputation.
Once again, culture shock.

Just out of Beta and there are hacks galore.
You have your standard wall hax...
You have your aimbots...
You have the no recoil hax...
You have your speed hax...
You have your flying hax...(this one is probably a give-away...)
I can direct you to the youtube videos of the flying and wall hax if anyone is interested.

The game is great...
But the glitching and haxing problems might bring this game down, some have speculated.

On the upside...The game play has seemed to be better. Also, I have tried the game in the morning which seems to have improved things enormously. I guess that is why it is called the "off peak" period...

On the downside, the inevitable "camper" label is starting to be thrown my way. Not sure if there is any point explaining on the Nexon forum that my reflexes and computer response times aren't the best, and as a result I need to be defensive and sneaky in my gameplay. People/kids usually don't listen to reason...

On the upside...I will still be enjoying the game the way I want, assuming there isn't a dedicated campaign to frustrate my desire to have fun. Been there...done that...Time will tell if this game has a longevity factor for me.
Even if I am on borrowed time I might as well make the best of it while I can...

Cheers...
Old 17th July 2008, 09:12 PM   #36 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 5337

Daring

No matter what game it is, what game type someone will always be called a camper mate. So do what I do and say I am defending my objective if it has one, or I am setting up my tent, fire, marsh mellows and getting a rum.
Old 18th July 2008, 12:23 AM   #37 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Retired Advisor
Retired Journalist
Retired Advisor
Elite - Post: 3869

Devilish

If there wasnt a place for campers why are there sniper rifles? Pretty much any game that has sniper rifles has a place for 'camping'. I must admit I tend to be the non-stop running and shooting off the hip type of guy but I do nto get upset at campers, I purely try to find a way I can flank them

As for the hacks that is a real shame, looks like another game is going to be ruined by hax. The last game I loved that was ruined in the same way was FEAR Combat....great game, full of idiots hacking.
Wiz_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2008, 03:29 AM   #38 (permalink)
JGR

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz_74 View Post
If there wasnt a place for campers why are there sniper rifles? Pretty much any game that has sniper rifles has a place for 'camping'. I must admit I tend to be the non-stop running and shooting off the hip type of guy but I do nto get upset at campers, I purely try to find a way I can flank them
You can't reason with kids...<shrug>
It is amazing how the truth insults them.
And they can make gaming lose the entertainment value when they gang up on you. All they need to do is have a guy on the other side giving your position away and there goes the psychology of out witting your competitor.

I use sniper hit and run tactics. Take a frag, escape and relocate.
It isn't easy to do in this game especially if they have kill cam on (which isn't common).

It is natural that they want to get revenge and the "R" icon that goes with the frag.
It is natural that I do all I can to deny them this satisfaction...
And this frustrates some enormously.
Frustrating for them...
Satisfying for me...
If I succeed...

If I kill someone a number of times and my health is low, the next time they come for me and I miss with the long range sniper rifle, I try to evade them and usually hog tale it through the tunnel system.
If you infiltrate their base and multi-kill, it is like a hornet's nest and you get the heck out of there quick smart...lol

Some ppl dive off a tower when they are almost dead.
I try to squeeze out one more frag before I meet my maker.
I looked at my stats and have a better than 2 to 1 K/D ratio which is pretty good when you consider I just started learning the game about one an a half weeks ago with it's associated heavy learning curve...

It is a very good game.
I am just saddened at how easily it has been for it to be hacked.
Hacking takes away all that make the game, imo.
The skill contest of course...
But mostly the cunningness of out thinking/foxing the opponent by listening to sounds, anticipating their moves, judging their temperament and their patience.

Psychological warfare without the fog of war would be impossible.
But the kids just don't get it and think it is all about bunnyhopping and pure reflex action...<sigh>
Oh the humanity...

Cheers...
Old 19th July 2008, 03:36 PM   #39 (permalink)
Retired Captain
-X-
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1898

Thanks for all the info ... I was about halfway through downloading this and thought I would see if any info here at TOG

Canceled download if there are not going to be any AU servers and it already has hacks I think I will give it a miss.

“In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it”
-X- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2008, 05:22 PM   #40 (permalink)
JGR

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by -X- View Post
Thanks for all the info ... I was about halfway through downloading this and thought I would see if any info here at TOG

Canceled download if there are not going to be any AU servers and it already has hacks I think I will give it a miss.
Sorry to hear I changed your mind in playing the game.
It isn't as bad as it sounds regarding the USA servers.
If the information I read is accurate the servers are based in California and probably near a major internet connection hub.
While it is quite a distance from Australia to America, I hear Atlantis hasn't connected to the internet yet
I think the cabling goes directly from Australia to San Francisco???
Well to California in any case.
You will meet ppl with uber overclocked computers sitting next to a telephone exchange here on the aussie servers also.

The main problem with the Snowy Valley map (the most popular map of the series) is that there are 2 rocks that can be glitched into that kids can get cheap frags without the skill requirements. When I tell them about FRAPS, they tend to get out because this would be hard evidence of them cheating.
Cheating and not getting caught/banned = good...
Cheating and getting caught/banned = bad.
Most understand this complicated principle...

Regarding the hax...
About 10 days ago they intergrated a new patch which may have addressed some of the hacking. There are sus players but it could easily be that they simply have very good computer response times (I absolutely owned yesterday because my connection was much better than all the other team members for a while).
I did see a speed hax but no flying nonsense after the patch.
Wall hax could easily be explained by kids telling their mates on the other side where the blue dot is or having 2 computers side by side.
This sort of cheating (and it is cheating, FFS) has happened since these sorts of games have come onto the market. Anyone here not realise this?

Cheers...