Old 2nd April 2012, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 694

Chatty
Default FireFall TOG Army discussion thread.

Firstly, nothing I will post here is in breach of the NDA for FireFall beta testers. Everything comes from their public forums, where discussion is welcomed from people who haven't yet gained an invite and you can read this stuff even joined the FireFall community. Please bare the NDA in mind while it persists, if you're posting here as a tester, no spoilers.

Now, Mesar was saying in the Tribes Ascend forum about the possibility of a TOG division for firefall, an idea I 100% support already, without even having played the game. It certainly seems, from what I've read, that the game lends itself to guildy, teamy, army-y kinds of organisations very well indeed.

It appears from http://www.firefallthegame.com/commu...3/]this thread that there are already groups on various servers called armies which players can (and probably should) join. These servers and the armies that populate them are also apparently location specific. Right now it looks like Asia is the nearest thing to an Oceanic server, though US and European servers are catered to as you'd expect. I also get the feeling the more interest and players we could field from Australia, the faster we'd see a server rolled out here. (no, there's no provision for private servers, it's an team based, persistent environment for PvE, instance based PvP, MMO/RTS/FPS. It'd be like asking for a private guildwars server. The best we can hope for is Red 5 eventually puts a server here.)

I figured we needed to start giving this topic of an Army, or which army to get involved in, some serious thought. For myself, obviously I want team up with my mates from TOG, considering this is a team and class oriented FPS with a huge amount of emphasis on co-operative play. However, without many clan mates already in the game, that means we'll be starting from scratch. How best to do that? Do we wade in as brothers in arms and just see how we fare, or hook up with other groups initially, get established, gain some experience and knowledge and then remember where our loyalties lie and build a TOG army later?

thoughts? comments? criticisms?
Noises is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2nd April 2012, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Chatty

Quote:
Armies in this game will function like guilds in another game--a group of players in an army will be able to have a logo, organize teams for competitive play, and be able to pull from army resources (such as calldowns like Thumpers and potentially vehicles) in order to complete missions. Red 5 highly encourages joining an army, even if it's just some friends.
quoting off FF forums.
Old 3rd April 2012, 07:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 571

Breezy

I'm curious as to how much of a TOG presence there will be in this game. It's sort of a FPS/MMO cross so may attract people from both sides of the fence. I'm usually on the MMO side but dabble with the less FPS-y FPSes and FireFall definitely has my interest.
Guild Wars: Kalizaar Allbane (N/W), Illya Awnfyre (E/M)
Retired - EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, AO, AoC, WoW, DAoC, LotRO (lifetime sub), FFXI, TCoS, CoX, GA, SWTOR, WAR
Also playing - Titan Quest, HAWX, Civ 4, Left 4 Dead, Sword of the Stars, + billions of other strategy and rpgs.
sschrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 04:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Journalist
Retired Journalist
Elite - Post: 4438

I imagine there will be a decent amount of TOGgers that would be interested in this game. You run, you gun, you shoot things in the face for free. What's not to love? Spread the news and get people interested. Enough show some excitement for the game, Red5 will look at getting a server up on your little island.

I sorta reserved the army name ECHO in the forums for gits and shiggles. I need to travel over to Trans Hub to find out if the army interface has been patched recently, though I doubt it has.

Regardless, I'm perfectly fine extending ECHO to any TOGgers who want a home away from home while you decide if you want a proper TOG army.
Old 11th April 2012, 05:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Chatty

With the exception of Tribes and Operation Flashpoint, I don't usually like FPS games. My aim is sucky, my reflexes are nearly as old as I am and I don't spend the money to get the leet frames per second all the cool kids have on these new fangled computer games. That's not to say I'm completely useless at them, I go OK at tribes and dominate on proper military sims with BIIIG maps where, like in the real world, strategy trumps leet headshot skills, I just normally prefer something with more PvE flavour, co-op PvE preferably.

This, FireFall delivers. Co Op PvE in an environment that looks more like an anime than a video game, in a world that clearly offers the same level of bolt-on content flexibility as an old school, text based MUD. Need a new zone to place new missions to keep players playing? Simply push back the melding, expand the map and add new content as it's developed. To really jump the shark and make this the most awesome game ever, all they need to do is add player killing (PK) in PvE with friendly fire always on, and this game could easily become the deepest and most hectic thing I've ever played.

People keep saying it's an FPS/MMO but nobody has mentioned how PvE also brings classic RTS elements to the table too, in the resource gathering and crafting. The FPS action only really happens in PvE while you're actively defending the resource gathering equipment once you deploy it (mob raids notwithstanding.) But unlike every other RTS, instead of playing as supreme overlord and commander looking down on a map and moving every asset, you're a single unit in that map, and it's up to you to form squads and play as part of a team to get your job done in what can be a very hostile environment. It's reading the terrain and planning your defensive strategy in a wide variety of scenarios that depend entirely on where is most profitable to drop your thumper on any given day that I'm enjoying, more than the point and click shooting.

Bare this in mind. You can solo a tiny thumper with a level 10 or better engineer. A light thumper is just doable with three reasonably skilled players. (Most times, you'll lose a few thumpers that way but the 3 way split on the resources gathered by each light thumper makes the challenge and the risk worthwhile.) It's meant to be done with five, and there just so happens to be five classes to play, and a limit of five men to a squad. I doubt it's overly pre-emptive to infer the name light thumpers implies medium and heavy thumpers will feature in the final release, and that they will require perhaps 2 and 3 squads respectively, operating and sharing rewards as part of an army to defend against the number and type of unfriendlies they will no doubt attract, with commensurate risks and rewards.

I think of the beta as a testbed. For squad play For serving a dynamic, persistent PvE environment to enough players to make it interesting without creating load balancing issues that would manifest in game as lag and rubberbanding and other things you don't want in an FPS, without instancing. For the crafting mechanic. For the resource gathering mechanic and the resource spawn/refill mechanic. For the graphics and physics engines. We're seeing one small area around one city, with a few outlying towns and outposts (and a spaceship crash site) when we look at the beta map. Yet the game lore says it's based in a post apocalyptic Earth, and specifically mentions 11 other locations, warring factions and even another planet. I might be getting ahead of myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if this game is remembered as having set new standards in online gaming and develops a cult following. It's deeper than the biggest wall of text can explain, but after 4 days of playing it non stop it's safe to say it's more addictive than crack. And it's only in beta. yeah I think we'll see some interest from TOG.