Old 21st November 2013, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 3

Cheerful
Talking Servers for 40+?

Okay, getting old sucks,especially if your a gamer. As a gamer of 40+ years, i have found that as the years go by, my reactions aint what they used to be! Even in 2007 (wow, 6 years ago), when Call of duty 4 Modern Warfare first came out, I was getting a good 35 Kills to 10 deaths as an average K/D at age of 35. Now, at age 41, Im getting around 22 kills to 18 deaths on the same game. My Battlefield 3 "skill" number is 498.....nope, don't know if thats good or bad, but i have got 11035 kills to 10823 deaths. 1.02 K/D. Now my point is this, why cant we get servers running for the mature gamer only? No screaming kids down the headset, playing an 18 rated game at 11pm on a school night, no spotty teens who are linked directly to the matrix getting K/Ds of impossible numbers etc. Just a bunch of mature gamers enjoying shooting the crap out of each other with the same amount of degrading eyesight, slower reactions, and good old fashioned put downs like....your a c**t. Now don't get me wrong, im only 41. I swim, kayak, shoot and love the outdoors, im ex forces and no cripple. But in the gaming cyber world, well, I feel old! I was just hoping to see what other mature gamers think. I loved playing the BOTS in the Time-splitters series, the BOTS on COD are fun to play with aswell. More BOTS for the on line section of games would be superb. Yes, we can jump online with the freakishly good K/D kids, but slamming a few RPGs into some AI BOTS is just as much fun. Lets hope that when my PS4 turns up next week, that for a little while at least, not to many nippers will have one!

ALL THE BEST!

emeraldsnake.
emeraldsnake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26th November 2013, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
RnR
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4668

With age comes cunning and patience. So beat the nippers with tactics, teamwork and stone cold ruthlessness. Just don't settle for bots - therein lies the road to senility

I play Tribes:Ascend regularly and I'm 40+. My K/D ratio is about even, ie give as good as I get and happy with this as I am only an average player compared to some of the semi-pro's running rampant. I try to slot myself into whatever role is needed - defense, offense - whatever is needed to try to get the team 'humming' ie teamwork > personal glory.

In the end the object is to have fun. Bots are not fun (but ymmv) and besides, worrying about k/d ratio's seems to be miss the fun point
RnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Ace - Post: 7695 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsnake View Post
Now my point is this, why cant we get servers running for the mature gamer only?
if you are playing the recent BFs and CODs - why not drop by the TOG division forums and join in. There are 3 TOG BF4 servers that are admined by the division and all that rot is not tolerated. Not saying your KD ratio will improve...mine takes a real hit on the tog bf servers. There is also keen COD group and even though there are not adminable servers, you usually can get a full TOG complement together in one lobby so you wont have to deal with the pubs.

enjoy
Old 26th November 2013, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 469

Believe me, I feel your pain.
It was fine back when original Tribes was released & used to LAN it up in the 90's.
Tribes 2 was the game that rid me of my beloved Voodoo Banshee GPU.
My kids just laugh at me now. Wish I had of implanted a failsafe in them all those years ago
Cool to see one of them go Top 10 in Aus in a RTS & pwn most FPS. I just sit back & say I used to be able to do that & he just laughs & says no you couldn't (Computers weren't around when I grew up, but he has had the best all his life).
Agree with SJ, that's why we r all here right So we can pwn in our own way.
There is always strategy games right
@Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 14

When the whippersnappers get on my tits, I just recall this scene...

Fried Green Tomatoes favourite scene1a - YouTube
Pantronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1469

In most of the FPS games i have played they have been objective based and if you're worried about your KDR you are a liability to achieving objectives and the team.

My KDR sux in most games. Unless i'm playing something like DayZ or Arma3, you wont find me hiding on a hill with a sniper rifle, i'll be running through explosions knifing, or sticking explosives, or raining grenades on the enemy team who are camping the objective.

I didn't come here to look good, i came here to win.
Yvnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 10:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 545

Chatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvnu View Post
bMy KDR sux in most games. Unless i'm playing something like DayZ or Arma3, you wont find me hiding on a hill with a sniper rifle, i'll be running through explosions knifing, or sticking explosives, or raining grenades on the enemy team who are camping the objective.

I didn't come here to look good, i came here to win.
I was about to suggest why not trying the ArmA series its not as much quick paced run and gun die instantly as BF or COD but it does pick up when things get hairy. For the most part of ArmA half the battle is plotting and planning where to attack from and finding good positions to begin your raid, I find those games to feel more rewarding when played with a good team, however games can become timesinks easily with missions lasting well over an hour usually.
Old 4th December 2013, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4186

I'm only 31, but playing on TOG servers means 40 yr olds are kicking my butt lol. I don't think more segregation is the answer, but possibly a change in mindset. I play to win the match/objective now and not worry about kdr, but I do get where you are coming from.

To be fair, TOG members kick my rear on our servers, the last time I played an FPS was BFBC2 and when I went in a public server I ripped it up. I thought I was awesome, till I played with TOG again haha. And judging from the voices in TS, a fair number owning me were a lot older than I.
Old 4th December 2013, 05:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 545

Chatty

I first played with TOG while playing BF2142 I would of had to been 17 and I had no chance against the likes of maddog and the rest.

Even being 22 now (where my skills and hand eye coordination should be near its peak) While I excel at pub games, playing on a TOG server its like being shoved back down and its really eye opening playing against others and feeling like your doing great and then the moment you join their server you feel like a rookie all over again and try clawing your way back up.

Most pivotal moment for me back in BF2142 was actually knifing Maddog during the old knife wars, even though I wasnt part of it officially, having those dogtags meant I managed to kill someone I aspired to be on the level of.

End of the day as long as your having fun and enjoying yourself it doesn't matter what the score is.
Old 5th December 2013, 11:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 810

I play many shooters but my main one is BF4 ATM. I'm closer to 50 than 40 and my KD is in the positive (I donít expect that to last). I don't really pay much attention to my KD, I just go for objectives with little regard for my stats.

My reaction speed is slower than it used to be but my ability to predict what players will do is getting better with experience.

So use your wisdom to compensate for your speed

Tags
bots, cod, gamers, k/d, ps4