Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Member News > Podcasts > Games Industry Podcasts

Games Industry Podcasts Various discussion about the video game industry. (Itunes Store RSS Feed)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18th August 2009, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The Podcast Guy
Ace - Post: 8063

Buzzed
Default Games Industry Podcast - Episode 2

Discussed in this episode: News from E3, Project NATAL and Story Telling in Games.

Download Here (For PC: Right Click Save As - 58.9M .mp3)
Originally Released: June 18, 2009

Please post up your comments, questions & feedback for us!

We hope you enjoy the cast,

Ashlann + Father

Last edited by Nestaron; 8th September 2009 at 02:38 PM.
Ashlann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15th September 2009, 02:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2675

Hello Ashlann & Father,

After now listening to episode 2 in its entirety.

The YouTube video regarding "Natal Mylo" seemed scripted with that woman interacting with the AI Boy. (in my opinion) However in the future if such a verbal and motion interaction on a social level is possible with AI Npc's. Than for games dealing with various sorts of "Quests" will have another viable option for player interaction. Beyond the current multiple choice or very 2D interaction with quest giving Npc's.

Regarding the whole body motion interface for the future of the Xbox 360. When the girl was sampling a new dress virtually. That gave me a flashback to a Tv series back in 1994-1996 called "TekWar" developed by Star Trek fame William Shatner.

Where a woman buys a piece of wardrobe through her television. In the process samples via holography how the dress would look on her and makes the purchase right on the spot.

That's just a couple of thoughts i had when listening to this episode.

I'll try to listen episode 3 tomorrow.

Atrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 12:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

You guys mentioned Far Cry 2. I'm also wanting to finish this game but know to get the full experience it'll require a decent investment of time. It's one that's on the list!

mmmmmmmm Battlefield 3... I ran a poll a while back "Will Battlefield 3 be released" and locked it when it was said to be released 2010. Only time will really tell.

Project Natal. Stef said this could be a revolution in gaming rather than evolution, evolution for example being graphics and sound. I agree yes this certainly could be. I'm sceptical about not only the technology but how it will be integrated into gaming. Like both of you guys I can't see this entering my gaming world in a big way. (If I'm wrong please feel free to quote this in the future people!)

This will probably be an interesting addition to some forms of gaming rather than a take over in my opinion, regardless how good the tech is.

Stef, please post photos of the frame your Fitter & Turner friend made you!
Check this out for a frame!

I enjoyed the chat on Story Telling in games. Unlike you Ashlann, I found the story in FEAR compelling enough to finish the game. The expansions and FEAR 2 though offered nothing much new so the FEAR experience for me ended after the first one finished. FEAR 2 didn't even offer any new ways to be scared. I reviewed the FEAR 2 demo - here.

Ashlann, you mention games utilising a "choose your own adventure" type thing. I think 'choosing you own path' will be the norm in gaming soon enough. Games are already evolving towards this as you mentioned with Far Cry 2.

I also agree with Stef that not every game requires a story. Look at some of the LAN favourites like Quake 3. No story required there for fun ;p

Now.. I'm hearing the Half Life 2 thing again about how wonderful and balanced it is between story action and immersion. I know I'm seriously in the minority here but oh my god I find Half Life boring! I've tried several times to 'get into it' and it just fails me each time. I ended up giving my copies away. I did however purchase HL2 recently for under $10 from Steam to test play Synergy (which I'm yet to do, on list). Now, I'll try HL2 ONE MORE TIME. I'll devote a full Saturday day to it again and see how it goes.

Thanks for an excellent Podcast!

Cheers
Ned
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Founder
Guru - Post: 11118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Now.. I'm hearing the Half Life 2 thing again about how wonderful and balanced it is between story action and immersion. I know I'm seriously in the minority here but oh my god I find Half Life boring! I've tried several times to 'get into it' and it just fails me each time. I ended up giving my copies away. I did however purchase HL2 recently for under $10 from Steam to test play Synergy (which I'm yet to do, on list). Now, I'll try HL2 ONE MORE TIME. I'll devote a full Saturday day to it again and see how it goes.
I quite liked the story of Half Life in a video game universe. But I think the strongest point of the Half Life's story is "how" the story was delivered mechanically, I think that's where the story really shined, the integration of it within the gameplay was imo done extremely well.

And I'm not one for cheesy stories really but the Half Life universe for me managed to immerse me and I think the quality of storytelling in a game really is equally dependent on the method of delivery.
Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father View Post
... the Half Life universe for me managed to immerse me ...
OK, I'm getting myself prepared to a Half-Life day/weekend.
http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...fe-series.html

I'll let you know how I go!

Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The Podcast Guy
Ace - Post: 8063

Buzzed

Good on you mate! Look forward to your feedback on it
Ashlann is offline   Reply With Quote