Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Member News > Podcasts > Games Industry Podcasts

Games Industry Podcasts Various discussion about the video game industry. (Itunes Store RSS Feed)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18th August 2009, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The Podcast Guy
Ace - Post: 8063

Buzzed
Default Games Industry Podcast - Episode 3

Discussed in this episode: Participates' recent play list, introducing gaming to your non-gaming friends and Games in Pop Culture.

Download Here (For PC: Right Click Save As - 42.8M .mp3)
Originally Released: July 02, 2009

Please post up your comments, questions & feedback for us!

We hope you enjoy the cast,

Ashlann + Father

Last edited by Nestaron; 8th September 2009 at 02:42 PM.
Ashlann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24th August 2009, 03:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2023

Nice one guys..
I liked the break half way and at just over 40 min it was two times 20 min..
split the podcast in two parts either with two files or with chapters I recon..
20 min is a good listening session sit and that's what I actually did.

Is this where we put our responses and the like btw on the podcast?

Trying to get my wife to play games with me...
after a whole range of games which generally she got annoyed with and just hated it because they frustrated her. because they don't do what she wants them to do etc..
I got her actually playing Diablo2 with me, as it was fairly easy going with just clicking where to walk and click to attack. And it was fun playing it in coop mode with two pc's.. But I think she also humored me as she wants to make the effort because she knows I would like her to be interested. Now because I finished the game at one stage as she was only willing to play short doses at a time and I have no patients, I have to play a game when I am engrossed in it. It fizzled out..
damn my impatient nature

It's like movies I think, we both love movies but there is only a certain overlap what we both watch together. She generally likes her light humor girly flicks, I generally like my clever story deep intense action thriller packed ones.. you get the picture, the opposite
There are ones where I am pleasantly surprised and pleased that for example some actor take her fancy- She demanded to go see the dark knight at the movies - I'm like what?! "Yeah!!" she goes. "it has Heath Ledger in it.." well I couldn't disagree with her good taste so...

I think mostly it takes her lots of effort, and it's not relaxing for her, gaming. And when at the end of the day after studies and the like, she likes to relax and stop her brain from doing to much work.. maybe one day, we will find that overlapping interest game that will not require to much thinking and concentration on her part..

oh and FF baby.. IE sux ..

Last edited by MaMo76; 24th August 2009 at 03:58 AM.
MaMo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 04:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The Podcast Guy

Buzzed

Thanks MaMo Yep, your thoughts & feedback fit perfectly here!

And congratulations on being the first feedback in the Podcast Forums!
Old 15th September 2009, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2674

Lightbulb

Hello Ashlann & Father,

Just finished listening to episode 3.

Although i don't have much input on this shows topics.

Perhaps a couple of suggestions for a future podcast session. Can be to interview the "TOG Legend" winner of this year. Besides a break down of past winners through the years.

Another idea can be "Profiles of an Older Gamer" where a community member is brought on as a third wheel for the show. (akin to the former TOG podcasts with Tiger) Where a active TOG member would be interviewed about the gamer hobby and how they found TOG itself.

One last thought have the Division leaders offer you some news to report about the TOG divisions. (ongoings, accomplishments, struggles, etc...)

Just an idea or two.

Atrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The Podcast Guy

Buzzed

Hi Atrayo,

Thank you so much for your continued input - we really appreciate it

Father's concept for this cast has always been that the result be for the larger gaming audience, not just our TOG members. Personally, I have been hoping someone would jump at the chance to take up the reigns of Tiger's cast and keep it going: I simply don't have time, and one of the reasons it worked so well is that Tiger has been a member for a long time.

I think Profiles of an Older Gamer might work in some context, and it might be something Father decides to pursue related to another story/idea, but as a permanent segment, we;re trying to steer clear of things that are of interest only to TOG members.

Keep your thoughts + ideas flowing to us; we really appreciate it!
Old 15th September 2009, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2674

Lightbulb

Hello Ashlann,

Thanks for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlann
Father's concept for this cast has always been that the result be for the larger gaming audience, not just our TOG members.
Ah ok, i didn't realize that as the general intent of the podcast.

Still whenever TOG holds another game raffle fund raiser. This podcast may be a good additional outlet to let the non TOGer know about us.

Well for topics of discussion in the future it would be interesting to hear both yourself and Father. Dissect an article posted at sites like: Terra Nova, Game Politics, or your favorite game news site. (Escapist Magazine, GameSpot, GameSpy, Gamasutra, etc...)

Now onto episode 5.

Atrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

Partners and getting them into gaming..

Well, when my partner updated her very old desktop PC to a decent notebook she got herself a multigame CD from Harvey Norman which she enjoyed. She particularly liked variants of Tetris. She put quite a lot effort into Tetris trying to beat high scores etc. Once I saw this I thought there may be a possibility of me being able to get her into gaming. She was attracted to Left 4 Dead of all games... she liked the intensity of it when she saw me play.

BUT...... no sooner had I wanted to install Steam on the notebook and install L4D a friend introduced her to Facebook and she found 'Farm Town'. It's ALL about Farm Town now. I found this article on the "NEWSFEED SELECTOR" on the front page of TOG a few weeks ago.
Are farming sims the future of gaming? - News at GameSpot
Quote:
With some 18 million users, it's hard not to take FarmVille seriously.
I'm waiting for a point where she takes a break from Farm Town and I'll properly introduce her to Left 4 Dead

Ashlann, I agree with "The Wii is often a gateway into gaming." Like your experience with your sister starting with the Wii then progressing onto PC games, I have also seen this lead to PC and console gaming. On a side note I saw my 80 year old Grandmother bowling on the Wii and loving it!

Stef, you mentioned some MMORPG are often "Barriers of entry" for potential new gamers meaning many could be turned off by the commonly step learning curves within this genre. I AGREE! I'm a very experienced gamer, predominantly FPS and Sims and even I'm daunted by the learning curves of these MMORPGs... hence my "help a first time MMORPG player !!" thread. I will definitely try an MMORPG At the moment though time is an issue and my FPS and Sim list is way to big!

Gaming being main stream pop-culture?

I agree with Stef, no it's not, yet. If it was we wouldn't be in this ridiculous situation in Australia where we can't get a game rated at R18+. This will no doubt eventually happen. Because this isn't yet the case it proves that gaming is not yet main stream like other forms of entertainment.

The type of person who agrees with these bans and actively works against allowing an R18+ rating are the same type who not that long ago would have been the ones blaming certain music for society's ailments. Mention the music argument in most places in this era and you'll get laughed out of where ever you are. The blame has just evolved onto gaming.. I wonder what will be next?? Even though in years to come we'll look back at amazement at this whole argument we will still get educated people making uneducated decisions.

Thanks again for a great Podcast!!

Cheers
Ned

Ned is offline   Reply With Quote