Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Member News > Podcasts > Games Industry Podcasts

Games Industry Podcasts Various discussion about the video game industry. (Itunes Store RSS Feed)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11th September 2009, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The Podcast Guy
Ace - Post: 8063

Buzzed
Default Games Industry Podcast - Episode 4

TOG Games Industry Podcast 4 - the latest news and gossip in the gaming industry.

Last edited by Ashlann; 12th September 2009 at 08:33 PM.
Ashlann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12th September 2009, 12:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The Podcast Guy

Buzzed

In this episode:

Participates' recent play list
Project NATAL on PC
Monkey Island in HD
Alan Wake

Download Here (For PC: Right Click Save As - 40.5M .mp3)
Originally Recorded: July 16, 2009

Please post up your comments, questions & feedback for us!

We hope you enjoy the cast,

Ashlann + Father

Note: Files can take up to 24 hours to populate to iTunes.

> Get it on iTunes!

Last edited by Ashlann; 12th September 2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12th September 2009, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 8017

Thanks ash - listening to 4 now. Even downloaded this new program called iTunes (ok ok im a bit slow on the old uptake).

Im glad Steph can now sit back, have a beer and enjoy a game again.

Good work fellas

Division Captain (retired) Brink & BF 2142 | Sig by Ashlann | Brewing up a storm @MooCrkBrew

Redgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 09:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2694

Lightbulb

Hello Ashlann & Father,

Well consider me a chatter box of input, lol. After now listening to episode 4.

One thing to take in mind is the global recession which at first didn't hit the games industry so hard. But since the beginning of the year the strain is showing its stretch marks. So resources are being invested into consoles where the price point is slightly higher per unit price for a console game disc / cartridge. Besides development may be easier for a console due to a set standard of specs. Versus the PC that has varying components that need compatibility which may extend development time.

Although PC games seem to be slow in reaching market. One can not discount MMO games for the PC still hitting the market. It's like 90% of all MMO's are best suited for a PC platform at present.

Don't forget also that mobile devices have become a viable platform for gaming. Beyond the PSP or Nintendo DS, the Apple's iPhone amongst other cell / smart phone users are getting games.

This isn't the first time that the PC gaming market has been hit with a dry spell. This is just a cyclical pattern that has been made worse due to the economic global recession.

Atrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The Podcast Guy

Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrayo
Don't forget also that mobile devices have become a viable platform for gaming. Beyond the PSP or Nintendo DS, the Apple's iPhone amongst other cell / smart phone users are getting games.
Thanks again for your considered input!

We actually do look at portables in Ep.8 which will be uploaded shortly - and are hoping for a lot of feedback from listeners here.
Old 25th October 2009, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

Ashlann mentions Crayon Physics again! (a worthy re-mention imo!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Ashlann, you mentioned how good the Crayon Physics Deluxe Demo was. I tried this a few nights ago and ended up buying the full game! It's delightfully addictive and quite challenging. Such a simple concept and it been worked perfectly. Like Ashlann I highly recommend giving this demo a run. It's great to kill some time with. It's also fun to even work as a team if someone is there with you.

And yes, Crayon Physics Deluxe is available for the iPhone. It's a nice idea for the iPhone but the size of the screen relative to your fingers makes it difficult to navigate your drawings. You do get used to it to a point though.

I was interested with the discussion about the re-release of Monkey Island
Telltale Games are certainly giving this a lot of effort..
Telltale Games - Tales of Monkey Island - FAQs

Here's some interesting info on the series (includes timeline)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_Island_(series)

Serious Sam is also being re-released in a High-Definition version.
Quote:

Serious Sam was released in 2001 and received numerous awards, including Game of the Year from Gamespot and the Editor's Choice award from IGN. Based on Croteam's Serious Engine 3, Serious Sam HD sticks to the original by sending the hero to the battlefields of various ancient civilizations against Mental's armies. The same speed and action-packed game mechanics and the characteristic humor have been preserved and will shine like new in high definition!

Croteam - Get Serious!

I don't know what exactly to make of this comercial but yeh LOL

Stef, you mentioned that due to time you wouldn't re-play an old favourite if it was remade. I recently played an old favourite of mine. I purchased Unreal Gold on Steam and played the Unreal Mission Pack I: Return to Na Pali! expansion. This 1998 game offered more then than many games do now: superb singleplay, BOT play, multiple muliplay gametypes, dedicated server, plus more.
(Unreal Gold contains the original 1998 Unreal plus the 1999 expansion)

There have been rumors floating around the net that something new in the 'Unreal' world is coming soon... I'm hoping for a co-op Unreal 3!

Thanks again for an awesome Podcast!

cheers
nedd
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Founder
Guru - Post: 11121

New engine would be better, something to finally get us some new console hardware.

Never played Serious Sam, I do remember it coming out but I personally had changed my requirement for shooters to be more then "just a shooter", awesome as SS may be.
Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009, 03:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

Agree, Serious Sam is definitely 'just a shooter' but sometimes it's fun just to shoot
Public forum discussion thread - http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...us-sam-hd.html -
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote