The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Games Industry Podcasts (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/games-industry-podcasts/)
-   -   Games Industry Podcast - Episode 9 (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/games-industry-podcasts/263013-games-industry-podcast-episode-9-a.html)

Ashlann 3rd October 2009 03:02 AM

Games Industry Podcast - Episode 9

In this Episode: Mini Ninjas reviewed, a hoard of upcoming games, and Left4Dead 2 banned in Australia.

Ashlann 3rd October 2009 03:09 AM

About Episode 9!

Recorded: Thursday September 24th 2009

Episode 9: Get it on iTunes now!

In This Episode:
  • I take a close look at 'Mini Ninjas', and Stef takes a look under the hood of 'Need For Speed: Shift',
  • Upcoming Releases,
  • And we discuss the recently announced ban of Left4Dead 2 in Australia.
Download here (32.5M mp3)

Credits:
Thank you to Fox who composed, performed and donated the music used in this episode of the Podcast!

Atrayo 3rd October 2009 06:31 AM

Hello Ashlann & Father,

I just finished listening to episode 9. You've got me eagerly awaiting each podcast now. I got spoiled listening to a couple of podcasts a day in catching up. :D

The beginning of this episode got off to a slow start in my opinion. Dwelling too much on the "Mini Ninjas" demo at the very beginning. Since this podcast was recorded on September 24th, there was zero mention of the MMO game launches on September 22nd of "Aion or Fallen Earth". (which left me wanting to hear both your takes of the previews out on the Net)

The middle portion of this episode #9 did get interesting with Stefaan's (Fathers) observation. Of the emotional triggers in cinema of the horror genre. If not in mass media such as film, Tv, or books.

Towards the end i see the conversation went slightly in the direction of gamer consumerism and the Australian Game Ratings board.

Not to harp on this topic which i've mentioned before in another post of my feedback. But it seems that Australian gamer consumers needs a PAC (Political Action Committee) group. To represent adult gamers as a lobbying group to your government.

Somewhat similar perhaps to the American version of the ECA (Entertainment Consumer Association). Since it seems your Australian Game Ratings Board is imposing its values, politics, and bias on adult consumer gamers. Much like Stefaan cited, if something needs to be done it has to start on the individual level. (in this case grass roots PAC to petition your government)

Otherwise adult gamer consumers in your nation will be treated like children and bossed around.

Just my two kilobytes on the topic. :eek:

Unknown 3rd October 2009 01:24 PM

Good to hear you two are extracting some enjoyment from Far Cry 2; as for the travel problem, I guess the developers are damned if they do, damned if they don't - they've been criticised for making the game "too realistic" in some senses, but "not realistic enough" in others. I suppose they just figured after all the effort they went to in creating the map/world (and let's be honest, it's really an amazing work of art - I'd love a multiplayer/co-op game in that world), they wanted to "encourage" people to see it.

I don't have too much of a problem with the travel, partially because I take short-cuts and cut across country, but also because I set my own mini-missions whilst travelling from "A" to "B" (usually with a pit-stop at a gun shop/armoury along the way) - but each to their own. :cool:

On the generic issue of video game violence and the Australian Classification Board, you may find this interview with a former Deputy Director interesting (especially the last question):

Inside the Classification Board Part II: Q&A with a former deputy director - GameSpot AU News Blog - Gaming News and Videos

As for L4D2 specifically, Valve have indicated that they have appealed the decision (instead of the Australian distributor, Electronic Arts?) but there has as yet been no media release announcing a review by the Australian Classification Review Board - we're hoping for an update next week when Valve studio head Gabe Newell visits Australia (notionally for other reasons).

In the past, some games (eg., F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin) originally labelled "RC" (refused classification) by the Classification Board have been subsequently labelled "MA15+" by the Classification Review Board (without having to modify anything in the game at all), so there is some hope for L4D2.

Oh, and the "COD 4 mod" with a zombie mode is in fact COD5 (Call of Duty: World at War) and the zombie mode is in-built to the original game, it's not a separate mod. ;)

(Later...)

Forgot to mention, the whole issue of "violent video games" was covered by Penn & Teller (both interesting and humorous - usual NSFW applies to P&T's show).

Unknown 6th October 2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknown (Post 2542753)
As for L4D2 specifically, Valve have indicated that they have appealed the decision (instead of the Australian distributor, Electronic Arts?) but there has as yet been no media release announcing a review by the Australian Classification Review Board...

The media release has now (October 6) been issued, the review date is set for October 22.

Ned 2nd November 2009 09:10 PM

Ashlann, I listened to your review of the Mini ninjas demo (link1 - link2).
TOG public forum discussion thread - here.

You mentioned the demo was:
-linear
-poor graphics
-good sound
-complex inventory system for kids
-light-hearted fun game

I found the demo first of all to be great fun :) As far as being linear, it is if you want it to be... I found I could leave the tracks and go wandering around to obtain artifacts and get involved in other things apart from the main objective... BUT this to most may not mean non-linear as I come from a linear FPS world.

I disagree that the graphics were poor, I thought they were good and suited the theme of the game well. I agree with Stef, I find the game to be quite stylish.

I agree that the sound was good :)

You also said you thought the inventory system may be too complex for children. I too would have probably said this if it wasn't for me watching my young nephew (under 10) play Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II on the Xbox 360 :shock: He had total control over this game. He tried to show me what to do and I had no idea where to even start! LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth II is a Real-Time-Strategy (RTS) and is a LOT more complex than Mini ninjas.

You said it looks to be a Light-hearted and Fun game. I definitely agree!

Ash, in this Podcast you mentioned the upcoming Lego Harry Potter game. You've mentioned the lego series a few times now and said how good they were so I decided to check a couple out! I watched some trailers and downloaded two demos, LEGO Indiana Jones Demo and LEGO Batman Demo. I can see the appeal for these, very cleverly done and FUN. One thing that really impressed me was how flawless the demos ran and how you can play coop on the same screen (not split). I plugged in my 'Logitech Dual Action USB controller' and used it to control the second player. The demos recognised the controller straight away with no problems. I preferred the Batman demo out of the two. The way you had the option to play as a Villain was a nice touch as well.

Quote:

Good to hear you two are extracting some enjoyment from Far Cry 2

I agree! Far Cry 2 is on my "To Complete" list :)
Quote:

I'd love a multiplayer/co-op game in that world

HELL YES !!

Ash I think I found the 'gratuitous cleavage' you mentioned in one of the Resident Evil 5 trailers, 2:04 ??

Ash you mentioned the Star Wars Jedi Knight Collection on Steam and how it looks great... a nice piece of nostalgia but Stef then mentioned he wouldn't play it due to the graphics. Don't underestimate gameplay enjoyment due to a games age in my opinion..
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ned (re Podcast 4) (Post 2568749)
I recently played an old favourite of mine. I purchased Unreal Gold on Steam and played the Unreal Mission Pack I: Return to Na Pali! expansion. This 1998 game offered more then than many games do now: superb singleplay, BOT play, multiple muliplay gametypes, dedicated server, plus more.
(Unreal Gold contains the original 1998 Unreal plus the 1999 expansion)

Regarding Left 4 Dead 2 being banned in Australia. A lot of people give Office of Film and Literature Classification (OFLC) grief about these decisions. Unfortionately they only have a certain amount of tools to work with. Something they don't have is an R18+ rating. BUT, saying that, their consistency is rather INCONSISTENT.

example..
Quote:

In the past, some games (eg., F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin) originally labelled "RC" (refused classification) by the Classification Board have been subsequently labelled "MA15+" by the Classification Review Board (without having to modify anything in the game at all),

===

Quote:

Forgot to mention, the whole issue of "violent video games" was covered by Penn & Teller (both interesting and humorous - usual NSFW applies to P&T's show).

LOL very good! Thanks for that :)

Ashlann 2nd November 2009 10:05 PM

*laughs* No, that's not the Gratuitous Cleavage Shot I was referring to, but it's not bad! Buggered if I can find the one I was referring to, but it's the same character;)

Ned 5th November 2009 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ned (Post 2579316)
Regarding Left 4 Dead 2 being banned in Australia. A lot of people give Office of Film and Literature Classification (OFLC) grief about these decisions. Unfortionately they only have a certain amount of tools to work with. Something they don't have is an R18+ rating. BUT, saying that, their consistency is rather INCONSISTENT.

I just played the Australian version of the Left 4 Dead 2 demo. They have dulled it down way beyond what the original Left 4 Dead is :w The zombies don't even catch fire. Did someone say inconsistent ?

I now will not be purchasing Left 4 Dead 2

Father 7th November 2009 09:48 AM

Can you get a US version at all here and play it, as in buy an OS copy?

Ashlann 7th November 2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Father (Post 2585169)
Can you get a US version at all here and play it, as in buy an OS copy?

Yes - apparently you need to get someone in the US to gift it to you.