TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Member News > Podcasts > Games Industry Podcasts

Games Industry Podcasts Various discussion about the video game industry. (Itunes Store RSS Feed)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 8th November 2009, 08:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11359

Stef, you said you like your PC cases bland. I'm the same. Bland yet high quality for me. This is why I only use Lian Li for my main computer.

Thanks for letting us know about Windows 7 Features: Windows Touch!
I didn't know about that

Discussing Mouse 2.0..

Microsoft Applied Sciences - Mouse 2.0

Quote:
Using different regions of the multi-touch surface to interact with multiple game controls

I agree with both Ashlann and Stef, I can't see this being useful for gamers, at least FPS ones anyway. If you look at the demonstration video at the gaming section (1:30) the movement doesn't appear to be fluent. Once refined though this tech may actually revolutionise the mouse and gaming, time will tell.

The Left 4 Dead 2 and the OFLC topic. As mentioned in Podcast #9 chat. I'm now not purchasing L4D2.

Advertising/Marketing and Gaming. When I purchase games it's not often due to advertising and marketing. Usually it's reviews and feedback or due to previous titles or games from specifc developers I like. Some exceptions for me are Rise Of Flight and Borderlands.

Speaking of Borderlands, here's some very cool marketing videos first posted by TOG Drac ..

As mentioned, an interesting approach with the marketing of the Need for Speed Shift Racing game and how they have included things like reality TV shows etc. I believe as does Stef that this kind of marketing is mainly focused on console players with the PC players more being of the enthusiast type of gamer not affected by this approach [good point Stef!].

How crucial is game advertising? Very crucial in my opinion. At the very least, screenshots and a decent cinematic trailer that includes some gameplay. (I like developers that release demos!)

Objectionable Game Content. I've never found a game to have anything I've been offended with. The nazi debate (as discussed) in games misses the point. It's more so two opposite teams within the game. I've yet to see anything nazi-like in a game. At most some games show the swastiki eg. Call of Duty. Many multiplayer modes you end up swapping teams so you end up playing both sides at various times. Having a german (and sometimes nazi) side makes it easier to symbolise an opposite ie. WWII german Vs american/english.

We (oldergamers) are our own best censors. If we don't like it then we simply don't play it.

Whilst no default game has offended me I have seen what I considered objectional custom content.
Map Announcement: AUSCHWITZ - (screenshots added) - Splash Damage Forums
Download Death Camp for Left 4 Dead - L4Dmaps.com

I had requests for both of these maps on my servers.
Answer was no and never with no explanation given.

One of my favourite games of all time is Call of Duty: United Offensive and it has swastikis in it... am I a hypocrite? maybe so but the best thing about being a sole server admin is you get to choose what you have on your servers

I loved the Grand Theft Auto discussion to guys, cheers!

And Stef, cheers for letting us know about the Voodoo Extreme site for gaming goodness! Bookmarked

Thanks again for an awesome Podcast!
Ned
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8th November 2009, 09:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5866 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Tired

^^^ Methinks Neddy would make a great guest on the podcast!

"Jakob_Pavlov is a known issue and will be dealt with in the next patch." - bigtabs
Jakob_Pavlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 04:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Founder
Guru - Post: 11113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob_Pavlov View Post
^^^ Methinks Neddy would make a great guest on the podcast!
He would make a great regular

The last podcast recorded with guests I really enjoyed, if you want to join in again at any stage Jakob just say the word.
Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 09:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5866 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father View Post
if you want to join in again at any stage Jakob just say the word.
Will do mate, I enjoyed it (apart from the 15 minutes that I lost internet connection!! ). As I said at the end of the 'cast, I may well have to come on at a later date to eat my words if IWNet and P2P hosting for MW2 turn out to be as good at IW are claiming.........we shall see......

"Jakob_Pavlov is a known issue and will be dealt with in the next patch." - bigtabs
Jakob_Pavlov is offline   Reply With Quote