Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Member News > Podcasts > Games Industry Podcasts

Games Industry Podcasts Various discussion about the video game industry. (Itunes Store RSS Feed)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17th November 2009, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The Podcast Guy
Ace - Post: 8063

Buzzed
Default Games Industry Podcast - Episode 11

In this Episode: Game Addiction - are you addicted? And Game Piracy - the ups and downs of thieving amongst gamers.
Ashlann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17th November 2009, 07:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The Podcast Guy

Buzzed
Default Details for Episode 11

Recorded: Thursday, October 22nd 2009

Episode 11: Get it on iTunes now!

In This Episode:
  • We take a look at Gaming Addiction. Are you addicted? I make some startling confessions! Father is smarter...
  • Game Piracy. Do you do it? Do we? You'll have to listen to find out. Who is it hurting and what are the costs?

Direct Link:

Download here (32M mp3 - Right Click, Save As - PC)

Credits:
Thank you to Fox who composed, performed and donated music used in this episode of the Podcast!

Notes from Father and Ashlann

Do you pirate games? Are you chronically addicted to gaming?

We'd like to again encourage all our listeners to send in their feedback to us on our email address:

Feel free to send in audio questions for us to play on future casts as well

Regards,

Ashlann & Father
Old 19th November 2009, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5113

Amused

Really interesting episode. It would totally stamp out piracy if we could have an account with game companies (like steam) where we could register our network card's MAC address, and list the titles we own, then just update our allowed MAC addressed whenever we buy a new PC. Every MAC in the world is unique.

Also digital downloads are a good idea, because i don't want to pay for a box which will sit in the cupboard until I throw it out in 5 years. Trackmania does that well through Direct to Drive.

Made me angry when i bought the Dark Age of Camelot online game, left it unopened for a few years, then decided to have a game and when I installed it was told that the game is no longer supported by the company. That was money down the drain.
Old 19th November 2009, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Amused

Another idea, considering we pay up to $100 for a game would be to supply 2 keys, with the second key either as a spare, or be licenced to load up a second pc in your home.
Old 19th November 2009, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The Podcast Guy

Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriDeacon View Post
Another idea, considering we pay up to $100 for a game would be to supply 2 keys, with the second key either as a spare, or be licenced to load up a second pc in your home.
I can't see that working mate - how would they police you and me going halves in one disk and both getting the game (with a key)
Old 19th November 2009, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlann View Post
I can't see that working mate - how would they police you and me going halves in one disk and both getting the game (with a key)
Would be more a case of give us our $100, here are your two keys, you and your mate go have fun.
Old 25th November 2009, 09:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Lethal - Post: 5868 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Tired

Another good episode guys.

Glad to hear that Ashlann has been bitten by the, oh so contagious, TF2 bug!

You mentioned achievements.....they are pretty addictive, but I find that I am someone who doesn't necessarily go "out of their way" to get achievements, just tend to pick up the ones that roll in as I play.......Having said that though, I really do think the better designed achievements do add something to a game, namely an encouragement to explore different play-styles. (The one Ash mentioned is a prime example.....I probably would have stuck with the flamethrower/shotgun combination as Pyro if it wasn't for an achievement requiring the use of the flare gun.....after playing with it for a while I found it to be more effective than I had assumed and can now happily pick and choose between the two as the need arises.)

Keep up the good work,
Pav

P.S. I ended up getting that job, so and (More money......but lots less gaming time!)

"Jakob_Pavlov is a known issue and will be dealt with in the next patch." - bigtabs
Jakob_Pavlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

mmm OS chat!

Like Ashlann I'll also be getting Windows 7 soon and have bypassed Windows Vista. I too read enough forums to know what's best for my gaming I'll get a dual-boot setup with Win XP Pro for the games and software that don't like Win 7. I'm due for a format so sometime very soon I think!

Stef said no one remembers Win ME is a positive way. I do! I think I'm the only one in the world who NEVER had an issue with it. It ran all my games and software flawlessly. The only reason I went to Win XP was because I wanted to use more than 512MB of RAM and Win ME couldn't do that.

Piracy.

I have nothing pirated on any of my Computers. Pirates are the ones to blame for the invasive anti-piracy systems out there. I myself have never had an issue with any of them but I know many honest gamers who have. Don't get angry and the anti-piracy systems or the game publishers, it's the fault of the pirates. If people didn't steal software I wouldn't even be writing this.... I don't know how some of the anti-piracy setups are even legal the way they refuse installation of a game because you have certain other software installed eg. emulators. I agree with Stef, we ALL get treated like criminals and stuffed around accordingly.

Even though piracy is wide-spread not all publishers go with copy protection measures.

Quote:
PIRACY AHOY

We've always liked how Gas Powered Games handles piracy concerns. Basically they figure that someone will always manage to crack offline play, so why bother to secure it? For example, Supreme Commander can be installed on numerous PCs and they can all participate in a LAN game. Obviously online play needs a unique key. At the end of the day, this doesn't really cut into sales, as not many people would be shelling out cash for offline play only. In fact, making the game easy to try out means that more gamers will be hooked and buy their own copy. The Demigod online distributor Stardock is also known for a lenient stance on piracy, and ships Demigod with no copy protection.
SOURCE: PC PowerPlay article, issue #167, DEMIGOD. Page 57

I'd been looking for an RTS to test run and when I read that article I chose Demigod for two reasons. The game itself sounded good and I wanted to support distributors like those listed financially.

Sometimes games once they get to a certain age have some or all of the copy protection removed via patches which is great. Some games where this has happened is Doom 3, Prey and Far Cry 2.

One more note from me on piracy. One of the biggest advantages to NOT doing it is you get all updates including security patches drama-free. Also NOT pirating gives the developers more money and therefore more incentive to make bigger and better games. Common sense really but many noobs just don't see it.

Soooo, the next time you start raging at systems like StarForce and SecuROM because you're having issues with them, note that YOU have just become another victim of piracy.

Addiction.

Addiction by definition is associated with a lack of control and because of this lack of control 'addiction' often is accompanied with problems because of it. I know plenty of gamers who are passionate and devoted to gaming and are having no problems with this. Addicted? No, not in my opinion. Are you addicted because your partner says you are? No, not necessarily (but maybe yes!).

I just think the word Addiction and what most people associate with it is used out of context with regards to gaming. The first thing most people think of when they hear the word Addict is a drug user with big problems.

Like Stef I don't think I'm addicted to gaming and I'm also guilty of bouts of binge-gaming I binge-gamed a lot when Enemy Territory Quake Wars was released. I was the second person in the world to get their Field-Ops Wreath and would have been the first but I had 19 days offline due to a motherboard failure. I also once played for 13.5 hours straight and got a highest Field-Op XP in the world for that particular 24 hours period. I got that twice actually lol. Is it obvious I was single with no kids??

Some of the stories I've heard about addiction and the MMO genre of gaming frightens me. People losing partners and jobs etc over a game! Although saying that I do know a TOG member who's come close to a divorce more than once due to a TOG forum addiction

I've never tried an MMO and it's on my to-do list so I guess I'll wait and see if I become a victim!

Ashlann summed it up perfectly.
It's all about 'Balance' and 'Responsibilities'.

News.

Stef mentioned the Planetside 2 rumours.. public forum discussion thread here..
Planetside 2 | Shooter Games: The Range | The Older Gamers Forum

Thanks for an excellent Podcast
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote