Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Member News > Podcasts > Games Industry Podcasts

Games Industry Podcasts Various discussion about the video game industry. (Itunes Store RSS Feed)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15th April 2010, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The Podcast Guy
Ace - Post: 8063

Buzzed
Default Games Industry Podcast Season 2 - Ep 19

Remaking the classics - what games should be remade? Atkinson vanishes!
Ashlann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15th April 2010, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The Podcast Guy
Ace - Post: 8063

Buzzed

Recorded: March 25th 2010

Episode 19: Get it on iTunes now!

In This Episode:

• Atkinson... Gone!
  • Remaking the classics - what games do we think should be remade?

Direct Link:

Download here (30M mp3 - Right Click, Save As - PC)

Notes from Father and Ashlann

We'd like to encourage all our listeners to send in their feedback to us on our email address:

Feel free to send in audio questions for us to play on future casts as well

Regards,

Ashlann & Father

Last edited by Ashlann; 15th April 2010 at 08:27 PM.
Ashlann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2688

Thumbs up

Hi Guys,

I wanted to listen to episode #19 first just to hear what happened to your Aussie attorney general. (now to play catch up with episodes 16 & 17)

One thing that may interest you Ashlann is if you still have your Playstation game CD of "Wipeout". A regular CD stereo player can play the game Cd as audio only. You'll just have to start at track #2 to begin to hear the music. If you start at track #1 you'll hear loud and scrabbled gibberish.

Other past game franchises that would be nice to see given the light of day:

"Defender of the Crown" (I played it originally on the Commodore 64)

I do recall many years back they made a PC game version but i believe it bombed.

"Ascendancy", which was a 3X sci-fi turn based strategy game. Much like "Master of Orion" series.

X-Comm turn based strategy sci-fi game.

The single player line of RPG's of "Ultima" from Lord British himself aka Mr. Richard Gariott. Just picture a "Ultima" game brought back to life with a Fallout 3 or Mass Effect 2 treatment.

Atrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Founder
Guru - Post: 11120

Defender of the Crown yes great classic, I played it on both the C-64 and the Amiga, the C-64 version was actually made after the Amiga one and although the Amiga was visually more striking at the time, hell it had TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY SIX COLORS lol the C-64 version was actually more polished gameplay wise.

Never played ascendancy nor master of orion, Master of orion btw is on gog.com.

I picked up Gabriel Knight 2 and Phantasmagoria on gog.com actually, I'll let you know how much I can get into them nowadays on a future podcast. They are a few gig in size so waiting for my quota to reset first.

Never played xcom either, everyone raves about it, looking at the gfx of the old game now though I just couldn't get into that again, you must have played it at the time for sure but hey a new game is in the make.

Ultima 7 in particular, the best one of the series, the story of the fellowship, the guardian, a massive world at the time really pushed my 33Mhz 486 to the limits!

But I agree what ever happened to the Ultima series!?! Gariott had a great ability to tell story in his games so not sure why the Ultima series has died bring it back Lord British!
Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Hello Father,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father
Never played ascendancy nor master of orion, Master of orion btw is on gog.com.
I'll have to check it out at Gog.com. I remember on my old 486 Pc (my first computer) i looked for the floppy 3.5 disks of the game. Since i had missed the boat when it was released on the older floppy discs.

Another game i forgot to mention is the PC classic of "Star Control 2".

Quote:
But I agree what ever happened to the Ultima series!?! Gariott had a great ability to tell story in his games so not sure why the Ultima series has died bring it back Lord British!
I'm going to assume "Electronic Arts" owns the franchise IP wholly through "Origin Systems". That being the first game development firm that Mr. Richard Garriott sold off to EA via "Ultima Online".

So its up to EA to decide, although they do own Bioware that could do justice to a "Ultima" single player RPG experience. (I have heard in the grapevine that EA is going to do a strategy game on the "Ultima" game world theme)

It's called "Lord of Ultima".

Last edited by Atrayo; 29th April 2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 1st June 2010, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi Guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrayo
X-Comm turn based strategy sci-fi game.
(I love quoting myself btw)

Quote:
Never played xcom either, everyone raves about it, looking at the gfx of the old game now though I just couldn't get into that again, you must have played it at the time for sure but hey a new game is in the make.
Well the new game in the make will not be a turn-based strategy, instead its going FPS genre. The game developer is nonetheless 2K Marin of "BioShock" fame. The game XCOM will receive the BioShock FPS styled treatment.

Quote:
XCOM is the re-imagining of the classic tale of humanity's struggle against an unknown enemy that puts players directly into the shoes of an FBI agent tasked with identifying and eliminating the growing threat. True to the roots of the franchise, players will be placed in charge of overcoming high-stake odds through risky strategic gambits coupled with heart-stopping combat experiences that pit human ingenuity - and frailty - against a foe beyond comprehension. By setting the game in a first-person perspective, players will be able to feel the tension and fear that comes with combating a faceless enemy that is violently probing and plotting its way into our world.
Something to look forward for, by the way the US magazine of "PC Gamer" July issue. Has a preview of the game for readers starting on page 53.

Old 6th January 2011, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ned
Public Forum Coordinator
Guru - Post: 11366

NEWS

Ubisoft DRM authentication servers go down. Two things really annoyed me about this. Only legit players got affected. The ones who hacked the affected games managed to play without issues. The other point is you need to have internet access to the authentication servers even to play singleplayer. If I ever lose my internet connection for any reason I ususally use this as a time to work through some singleplayer gaming! Many people I know do the same. Too bad for us.

Video games can disrupt schoolwork: study. Yes they can
Quote:
Weis believes the message from the study is that parents should limit the amount of time their children play video games.
SOURCE Video games can disrupt schoolwork: study | smh.com.au

Nothing much to say about that one!

What games do we think should be remade?

Ashlann, you mentioned that you would love to see a re-make of an old Playstation game called Wipeout.
It's been done! and is available on the PS3 - WipEout® HD. Some WipEout HD TOG chat - HERE.

I'd love to see the original Unreal from 1999 re-released in HD and with a new engine. A co-op addition to it would be great as well! Croteam recently did this with the first two Serious Sam releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrayo View Post
The game XCOM will receive the BioShock FPS styled treatment.
Looking good!

Playlists

BF: Bad Company 2 singleplayer gets another mention. I really like the singleplayer campaign in this game, more than the multiplayer. A heap of FUN. Thanks for letting me know about the "War Tapes" sound option! I didn't know about this.

Based on Stef's comments in this Podcast (and Episode 20) I went out a bought Heavy Rain for my newly purchased Playstation 3. I have to agree with everything Stef has said regarding this awesome game. Amazing, deep and involved, need to throw a few hours at a time into it and not be disrupted. You NEED to play without distraction of things like family to do it justice!

This is the first console game I've played in a thorough way. Interactive drama binds with cinema. So much so I found myself having stopped playing and waiting for the "movie" to continue and for a second wondering why my character was just standing there.

I spent 11 hours playing last Sunday and completed it. What an intense ride! I did however find the controls at time a little clunky and confusing during some of the more hectic moments but I think this is more due to my lack of experience with controllers than a fault with the game. A recent patch now makes Heavy Rain compatible with the Playstation Move Motion Controller which I intend to get soon and try.

'Heavy Rain' TOG chat - HERE.

After I completed the game I checked out some reports of the various possible endings - amazing. Don't worry, no spoilers from me! This game is seriously impressive and needs to be experienced.

Thanks again guys for another enjoyable Podcast
nedd

Last edited by Ned; 6th January 2011 at 09:00 PM.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 07:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 63

Tired

What I would like to see remade.
Shadowman
Syndicate
X-Com (traditional)
Diablo 3 (I only say this because it appears they are never going to release it)