Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Member News > Podcasts > Games Industry Podcasts

Games Industry Podcasts Various discussion about the video game industry. (Itunes Store RSS Feed)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16th July 2010, 12:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The Podcast Guy
Ace - Post: 8063

Buzzed
Default Games Industry Podcast S2 - Ep 25 - E3 (part 2)

The huge wrap up of our E3 coverage. It's games, games, games!
Ashlann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th July 2010, 12:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The Podcast Guy

Buzzed

Recorded: Tuesday July 14th, 2010

Episode 25: Get it on iTunes now!

In This Episode:

• The huge wrap-up of the E3 news.
  • COMPETITION! Your chance to win a copy of DiRT 2, just by listening! Make sure you listen to the cast for information on how to enter.

Don't use iTunes? Download here
(51M mp3 - Right Click, Save As - PC)

Notes from the Casters

We'd like to encourage all our listeners to send in their feedback to us on our email address:

Feel free to send in audio questions for us to play on future casts as well

Regards,

Ashlann, Father & Drac
Old 16th July 2010, 12:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2678

Hi Guys,

I've just wrapped up listening to this episode #25. Congrats on the milestone, here's to looking for another 25 episodes in the future.

Kudos, for discussing about the "OnLive" service although it won't be feasible for those in the Oceanic region of the world.

Although the article you were discussing that the CEO of Activision was looking for some sort of PC adapter for TV play. OnLive will be deploying such an adapter calling it the "Micro Console TV Adapter". So it may not be so far fetched if Activision is looking for their own partner hardware wise with Dell or HP. What may be far fetched is if Activision can execute on such a concept since they have capital to burn from the successes of Blizzard & Call of Duty franchise.

(I'll assume Activision is going to settle out of court over the sacking of the "Infinity Ward" founders. Besides with holding the bonuses to employees at the firm that are also suing Activision)

When you folks were discussing how the Nintendo Wii was reaching a saturation point of sales. If not the other two console makers of Sony & Microsoft selling video game console hardware. What came to mind what the three video console makers stated last year. Which due to this "Great Recession" they were holding back introducing another console iteration until its closer to the 10 year mark. Since typically video game consoles go through a product cycle of 5 to 6 years time frame.

Which is the period of time we're in already and the current generation of video console units are beginning to face stale sales numbers. Where the selling of sleeker models that are smaller in size and with a bigger hard drive. In terms of the Xbox and the selling of motion controller peripherals is their best bet for Sony & Microsoft to forestall the current consumer climate.

When the discussion in the podcast turned to the MMO F2P model. Besides micro-transactions that was often cited, is that many western MMO's converting or offering F2P as a business model. Also offer a hybrid lesser priced subscription to the game for better loot and other incentives. SOE's "Free Realms" is a prime example offering a $4.99 monthly subscription and a micro-transaction store within the game itself. Both completely optional to participate in the game to a degree. Although the quality of the game play will suffer if one doesn't dip into their pocket book from time to time.

One last thing is i see you guys didn't mention the game of "Fable III" from Mr. Peter Moloyneux of Lionhead Studio fame. Since it will also be made available for the PC for the very first time besides the Xbox console.

I was surprised to see this episode #25 released so soon since the date of its recording of this past Tuesday the 14th of July. That threw me off in a pleasant way.

----------------------------

PS: I'm also a user of OnLive since you guys mentioned you were looking for someone. I signed up via the one year sponsorship from AT&T here in the States.

Last edited by Atrayo; 16th July 2010 at 01:02 PM.
Atrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The Podcast Guy

Buzzed

As always, thanks for feedback Atrayo would you like to share your views on OnLive with us? On the cast or via pm, let me know.

I was able to make time to edit this one quickly which was great; I hope to be able to do this more often

Regards,
Ash
Old 17th July 2010, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1016

Good episode as usual guys.

Atrayo, you should take Ashlann up on his offer. I find myself waiting to see your post after the Podcast comes out, just to see what you have to add to the topics.

Keep up the good work.
Doug

DougB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 03:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The Podcast Guy

Buzzed

Thanks Doug!
Old 18th July 2010, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Thanks DougB awful kind of you to say such.

I'll PM you Ashlann shortly.

Old 19th July 2010, 06:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hi Guys,

I just found this interesting article dated July 16th regarding some of the points discussed in this podcast about "Onlive".

It seems Dell is already helping "Onlive" with servers and data centers. (since the article you discussed about Activision seeking out Dell & HP)

Quote:
He says the resources are a bit strained at the moment, but more are coming in the form of new servers with the help of Dell and new datacenters.
When the limitations of 780p was discussed in terms of the "OnLive" service.

Quote:
On the future of the service, Perlman says the next step is determining if 1080p streaming is feasible from a business standpoint. “We have beta users now that are running at 1080p. It works fine, it looks great, but it is a question of deciding when we have an adequate level of support.”
The future of the "OnLive" service with 3D gaming and motion controllers.

Quote:
Latching on to the zeitgeist, (CEO of OnLive) Perlman explains that 3D support is already built-in though they lack the 3D content at the moment. Motion control is also supported, but will require some manufacturer creating a motion controller that uses a USB port.
This article goes onto to say they'll be hopefully rolling out "Wi-Fi Support" by Fall of this year. Besides still working on the business model of there Mirco Console Controller for televisions.

Article Link.

It seems also the AT&T sponsorship here in the States has been extended to September 6th of this year as well. (originally it ended this past July 15th) Where "Founding Members" get there 1st year for free to the OnLive service.

Last edited by Atrayo; 19th July 2010 at 06:26 AM.