Old 16th December 2009, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1798

Angry
Default Backwards Compatable

There have been so many games in the past which i would still love to play. I am wondering if anyone knows if they will ever release full back catalogues for the ps3 or xbox.
I guess my nostalgia for this is based on the fact that i recently finished GTA4 and I realised that I thought San Andres was a cracker of a game with its harrier jump jets and airports, planes and all that. I figured it would be cool to play again. Even better...Metal Gear solid and GTA Vice city even with there dated graphics.

Does anyone one ar have any idea if Sony has any plans to open up there catalogue for download. It is my understanding to that xbox live has a range of BC titles all read, I assume they also have an extensive cataogue they could release.

"Put your head between your knees and kiss your ass goodbye!!" ......
Milt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th December 2009, 04:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9428

Breezy

Buy a PS2 mate.

I did.
Old 16th December 2009, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1798

Angry

LOL....I would but with all the junk ( so the wife thinks) im a little hamstrung on that I have even offered to sell the Wii which would be a supposedly tragic loss, to no avail. I musta admit i have a lot of old stuff on PC but with certain games its not the same.

"Put your head between your knees and kiss your ass goodbye!!" ......
Milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

Many games are "not" backwards compatible on either system.

With the PS3 you need to have a "launch" PS3 that contained the PS2 chip. Trying to get one of these units is not hard, but very expensive. EB some times has them, but eBay is your best bet. Be prepared to pay big at either outlet

The XBOX 360 requires software updates to play XBOX titles and a lot of these are buggy, don't work or have not even been programed.

Some back catalog games have been released on the PSN or XBL stores and have been re-written to work correctly on the respective platform. These games are few in number, many times expensive (especially in the case of XBOX) and don't look as good as you remember

As far as I am aware there have been no PS2 games done in this manor (only PS1, which have been remade with the PSP in mind).

I will have to go with A_1 on this one. If you want to play back catalog games, get the original console.

(And with that in mind I may just head down to PSX Warehouse and see if they have a restored Killer Instinct Arcade machine in stock ... DON'T TELL MY WIFE WHERE I AM GOING! )
Old 16th December 2009, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
DOTA2
Deadly - Post: 2171

Confused

With the re-release of the God of War games for PS3, with bug fixes and improved resolution, rumour is a few other developers are going to follow suit. Team Ico have said they'd like to do the same with Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. I'm hoping Konami redo the MGS series as well.
Battlelog ~ PSN - Trent_Steele ~ Steam ~ Battle.net - Chief#6843
Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 07:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9428

Breezy

I would like to see Sly Raccoon 1, 2 and 3 released on PS3 with the new Sly 4 to follow after.

Would be fantastic and a draw card to PS3 with a true family orientated game.
Old 16th December 2009, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

Bring back the Legacy of Kane (Soul Reaver) series, The first couple of Silent Hills and Killer Instinct!

Wait ... won't we then just be turning the games industry into the movie industry? Devoid of ideas they fall back on re-makes?
Old 17th December 2009, 04:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6656

Grumpy

I bought another PS2 recently to go back to the previous GTA games i had missed and some others

Should not of bothered made me realise i am a graphics whore now.