Old 8th January 2010, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4298

Goofy
Default Best & worst console games of 2009

I have been browsing through the various game guru web sites and they all have the "This is our pick for 2009" thing happening.

All seemed to go for the biggest sellers, etc. but what do real gamers think? ... Well? ... Yeah you at the keyboard .... what are your picks for 2009?

Here are mine (Based mainly on how much fun I had with them):

Best game of the year (irrespective of platform): Dragon Age: Origins

This game is outstanding. The story is deep and rich and is truly shaped by your actions. Not just an RPG, on the higher settings this game shines as a strategy / tactical game as well. Any game that makes me want to play through three times in a row is a winner in my books. 5 out of 5 happy tail wags!

Best PS3 exclusive game (Yes I played a couple ): iNfamous

A "sand box" game I truly enjoyed. Nice artwork, good story, super powers, lots of action and your choice to be good or bad! This one has just gone platinum. If you have not played it, do yourself a favour and shoot lightning at people. It is very cathartic! 4 out of 5 happy tail wags!

Best XBOX 360 exclusive game: Forza III

Hands down one of the best racers I have ever played. Graphics are stunning, sound is outstanding, physics are very good, a bazillion cars and it can be enjoyed by any level of player. 4 out of 5 happy tail wags!

Best Wii game: umm ... well ... I did not play one (Can I vote Mario Kart again? ... no ... ok ... )

I had many, many, many, many close second titles for both XBOX and PS3. 2009 was a good year for gaming ... except for:

My pick for biggest disappointment of 2009: HALO: ODST

Now I realise that this may get me in hot water with the die hard HALO fans, but lets be real about this. This game should have been a DLC for HALO 3. The single player was short and weak (any game where I can run through a level without having to fire a shot is lame). Multi-player was its strength, and the new co-op mode was fun ... but again that's DLC territory, not a stand alone game. 4 out of 5 empty food bowls of disappointment!

Shame on you Bungie and M$ .. shame!

Last edited by Pure Mongrel; 8th January 2010 at 07:10 PM.
Pure Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8th January 2010, 10:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2169

Fine

Worst game: Stormrise. I only brought it as Drac was a programmer on the game. Played it....Absolute drivel.

Best game. Probably burnout....Although was that 2008???? if it was then Uncharted2

George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 05:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6632

Grumpy

Worst game Modern Warfare 2

Best Uncharted 2
Old 9th January 2010, 06:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 940

Best for PS3: Will probably go to Uncharted 2. Game Informer gave this game a perfect 10. THIS NEVER HAPPENS. Not even with GTA 5, Gears of War or any of the Halo games. A perfect 10 is unprecedented.

Best for 360: Probably go to Assassin's creed 2. GI gave it a 9.5 I loved the game. Much better than the first.

Fall-Of-Enosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 08:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager
Ace - Post: 9096

Breezy

Best game of the year (irrespective of platform): Uncharted 2

Best PS3 exclusive game (Yes I played a couple ): iNfamous

My pick for biggest disappointment of 2009: Didn't have any as I always buy the good stuff but I did return Wolfenstein unopened.
Old 10th January 2010, 03:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 669

Cheeky

best game of the year: Dragon Age Origins PC

best 360 game of the year: MW2, AC2 comes in close, but its a single players game so my mates and i cant really play it together... (and i got NV goggles with the game!! still have bruises from our drunk paintball in the dark match with custom made paintball guns)

worst game of the year: Aion! i was ready to burn hours, days, weeks, even month on that game as a new alternative to GuildWars, but it was so bad it's the first MMORPG game i've ever ditched before finishing the main storyline atleast once.

^.^
Mysterio3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 04:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 35

Well, best game of the year for me was Batman: Arkham Asylum because I am an absolute geek and am so happy that they finally made a good Batman game.

Best PS3 exclusive was Uncharted 2, what an awesome ride.

I don't think I played any XBOX exclusives this year.

One of my more disappointing games was Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 , it felt like a step back from the original. No Blur cinematics, less character customization options, a lackluster roster. The only addition was the fusion mechanic which really wasn't that impressive in my opinion.
bonds0097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

Even I have to concede that the original MUA was better than the squeal.

After promising so much with the civil war story line, the game did not live up to my expectations. /cry
Old 10th January 2010, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2169

Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Probably burnout....Although was that 2008?
NO it was 2007

I've been in the desert too long.

George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 08:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy