Old 1st December 2010, 11:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2187

Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawheidbob View Post
You all need to get back outside with the bat n ball no wonder its all going wrong
Love your work RTC

Being the only Pommie barmy army lad out here with what feels like 3 million Aussies, your comment really made me laugh.

George is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2nd December 2010, 12:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawheidbob View Post
Feck me that is pretty amazing PM you chaps down south are pretty mad for the games.

You all need to get back outside with the bat n ball no wonder its all going wrong
Priceless.

okkervil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:27 AM   #13 (permalink)

Togtona!
YouTube - Gran Turismo 5 TOG on TOG Daytona action!

Old 2nd December 2010, 12:32 AM   #14 (permalink)

The above is a quick 5 lapper around Daytona with a couple of fellow toggers. It was pretty tricky working out how to get a private multiplayer game going, but once we did the performance was really, really good.

This is on the most arcadey of the settings - traction control, stability management, driving line, boosting slower cars, but it was a bucket load of fun.

Whilst I think the game is crap at present (the artificial stuipdity is horrible, the sound is horrible, the music is horrible, the physics are entertaining however), I'd rather drive crap with my nice wheel than drive gold with a bodgy wheel.

If we can get a few together for some races on a regular basis I reckon I could hack it a whole lot more.

Old 2nd December 2010, 01:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2187

Fine

Great clip mate.

George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 08:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

I have just figured out what has been bugging me about GT5. For a game that was this long in development, the game should:

• have more than 200 car models.
  • be more SIM and less arcade.
  • have better graphics for the tracks and game world.
  • have an in car view. (How the heck did they miss this? )
  • have an opposition AI that does "not" keep it's line no matter what! (You can actually get hooked up on the front of an opponent that tapped you and it will just continue to plow ahead with you trapped like an over sized hood ornament. You can't get off and it will not stop or swerve. )
  • have a menu and loading system that does not take longer than some of the events.
  • have the ability to get necessary info without going through heaps of menus (like a link to the car buying section from the race screen you can't enter because you don't have the right vehicle.)
The only thing GT5 has over Forza is the fact that you can use the Logitech Wheels ... that's it!

This is not an XBOX vs PS3 thing. As someone who was eagerly looking forward to GT5, I am very disappointed with the game as a whole.

As a racing SIM fan, Forza III is the far better game ... it just needs a better wheel. (Heck I would even argue that NFS Shift is a better game on the PS3).

This being said, I hold out hope for some patches, and I look forward to driving against some TOGers
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:58 AM   #17 (permalink)

@PM - on the whole, i agree with you, but just thought i'd point these out.

"be more SIM and less arcade."
Turn the assists off

"have an in car view. (How the heck did they miss this? )"
premium cars have one. that is.. mainly cars you buy new from the dealer.

"have an opposition AI that does "not" keep it's line no matter what! (You can actually get hooked up on the front of an opponent that tapped you and it will just continue to plow ahead with you trapped like an over sized hood ornament. You can't get off and it will not stop or swerve. )"
there's no AI in GT5. It's called AS. race online with toggers, no concerns about the artificial stupidity then.

Old 2nd December 2010, 01:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9445

Breezy

PM owned.
Old 2nd December 2010, 01:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

Look forward to racing you okkervil. The possibility of racing against TOGers is the only reason I have not traded the game in.

I have turned the assists off. Sill does not feel right to me (but I will concede that could be just me).

What do you mean by AS? If they did not do any work on an AI for this game, what the heck were they working on all this time?

In car view for only premium cars is just weak. This game bills itself as a serious SIM, but only if you want to race premium cars? What about all those old classics you can only get in the used car section?

Oh and the only way I could be "owned" ... is I had a hand in making this game.

SONY players and fans of the series deserve better than this, especially considering the wait and for the amount of dollars they are charging for it. This game feels half arsed and half finished.

This game should have been the crown jewel of the PS3 crown, but after reading all the posts in various forums by disgruntled fans, they may have been better off polishing it for a while longer before release.

Last edited by Pure Mongrel; 2nd December 2010 at 01:56 PM.
Pure Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 03:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3785

Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Mongrel View Post
have more than 200 car models.

Obviously you're referring to the premium cars, and yes like I said I don't bother using cockpit view at all if I'm going to be doing different things that require a mix of premium and standard.
  • Quote:
    be more SIM and less arcade.
  • Have an opposition AI that does "not" keep it's line no matter what! (You can actually get hooked up on the front of an opponent that tapped you and it will just continue to plow ahead with you trapped like an over sized hood ornament. You can't get off and it will not stop or swerve. ).
  • I hadn't really realised until I'd played a bit more, but you're quite right, and the main reason my wife calls out to see if I'm actually having a heart attack or just got shafted again.
  • Quote:
    have a menu and loading system that does not take longer than some of the events.
Yep this is annoying.

All in all I'd probably downgrade my initial review a little due to having played more now, but in the end I'm still enjoying it despite its flaws

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish
Getafix is offline   Reply With Quote