Old 12th December 2011, 12:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 903

Mellow
Default The Last of us

Can secrets be kept apparently so, yesterday was a big reveal of a playstation exclusive that has been in the pipeline for 6 years.
Its being developed by none other then naughty dog.
The game has an apocalyptic zombie setting and the graphics are stunning.
Its amazing how 10 year old technology still manages to outclass high end PC's with their latest $500 videocard.
Its a testament to the power of the Cell processor.

The Last of Us

Old 12th December 2011, 01:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6615

Grumpy

Cant say i was all that impressed. Yet admittedly i got over the zombie obsession games have many years ago.

I have little doubt in my mind this will be another dead island disaster.
Old 12th December 2011, 01:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
DOTA2
Deadly - Post: 2085

Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhammer View Post
Its amazing how 10 year old technology still manages to outclass high end PC's with their latest $500 videocard.
I just facepalmed so hard I nearly broke my nose. Yes, the cinematic was made with the game engine. It involves no guesswork, it's completely scripted, no player input, no physics, no AI. Remove all the calculations that actual gameplay involve and you're left with a hell of a lot of processing power. Then consider it's all running at a pretty damn low resolution.....

They used the same tricks with the uncharted games, and don't get me wrong, it's freakin awesome and I have no doubt the game will be amazing, but this is not a gameplay trailer.

Also secrets can't be kept, screenshots and design brief were leaked like 4 months ago
Battlelog ~ PSN - Trent_Steele ~ Steam ~ Battle.net - Chief#6843
Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 02:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 903

Mellow

Look who has won the best graphics awards 2011,was it Skyrim? or Crysis 2, surely it must be Battlefield 3 King of graphics with their Frostbite 2 engine.
Ehhm no.

Best Graphics | Batman: Arkham City, LA Noire, Rage, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception | Video Game Awards 2011

Keep facepalming
Old 12th December 2011, 10:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
DOTA2
Deadly - Post: 2085

Confused

I did break my nose this time.

You realise 3 of those nominees have PC versions with higher res textures, higher draw distance, run smoother at a higher resolution, in Rage's case a higher FoV.

Not to mention it's the VGAs, they've been based around consoles for years now. Where's the best strategy catgeory? Oh that's right! Consoles only get 1 strategy game per decade.

The fact that LA Noire is even nominated for best graphics is a clear indication of what those awards mean.

They're like the logies of videogames. I mean come on, best shooter is Modern Warfare 2.5? If it was an award for least innovative title I'd believe it.

I don't need a game to have awards to tell me how good it's graphics are, I just need my eyes and I can tell you that hands down Witcher 2 wins that one with Shogun 2 a close 2nd.

Please don't get me started on the VGAs, we'll be here for weeks
Battlelog ~ PSN - Trent_Steele ~ Steam ~ Battle.net - Chief#6843
Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1315

Big PC and PS3 gamer here, and I have to agree with Chief with no intentions of degrading or belittling you, Dragon.

I will definitely agree with Dragon that they have done a great job getting the most out of the old technology that the PS3 and Xbox 360 have. With that being said, they are both a few years behind the PC and it's getting worse very fast. I still love my time on the console and the games that Dragon mentioned are great products.

Witcher 2 does definately look better than anything on a console by miles, haven't played Shogun.

As we all know, graphics are not everything, but luckily Witcher 2 also delivers gameplay and story that is heads and tails above anything that got a VGA (other than Skyrim maybe).
Old 12th December 2011, 02:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Division Vice Captain
Team Fortress 2
Dangerous - Post: 913

Looks interesting and I'll keep an eye on it. But I'm not convinced until I see some gameplay, especially to get an idea on how it will play. Considering it is developed by Naughty Dog I'm guessing it'll be 3rd person style like Uncharted.
Spice. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
Wildstar
Deadly - Post: 1286 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhammer View Post
The game has an apocalyptic zombie setting and the graphics are stunning.
Its a testament to the power of the Cell processor.
I don't want to dismiss this as "trollish post is trollish" but seriously, modern high end video cards have it all over the Cell processor when someone bothers to make a game that takes advantage of them...

I own both a high end PC (eg. http://i35.servimg.com/u/f35/11/45/02/64/dsc_0210.jpg) and a PS3, and the PC destroys the PS3 in IQ. Particularly at 1920x1200 rez (vs 1920x1080 that the PS3 supports), let alone the ability to drive 6088x1200 (3 screen eyefinity) while maintaining a reasonable level of IQ.

The PS3 is a great system at a far cheaper price point than a high end PC. And it's really good to see what they can wring out of it. But when it comes down to apples to apples comparisons (ie. best in breed game running on each system rather than comparisons of a bunch of console ports), a high end PC will win.

All of which doesn't really matter if you enjoy your games on either platform.

Asmodai aka Saviourself aka Stabbitha aka Azshadoria... or Azsh... Azshaz?
Asmodai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 04:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9124

It will be interesting to see if The Last of Us will be directed gameplay (like Uncharted & all the Tomb Raiders) or more open world (like Infamous and Assassin's Creed). I suspect it will be the first if they are using a similar engine to their one for Uncharted.

And yes, that doesn't tell us much other than the setting. It would be nice to know what sort of challenges will be faced and how the gameplay and story will develop. I mean, other than surviving, what are the objectives?

I'll leave off getting excited until they tell us more.

Sorontar

Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 05:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3198

Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post
I don't want to dismiss this as "trollish post is trollish" but seriously, modern high end video cards have it all over the Cell processor when someone bothers to make a game that takes advantage of them...

I own both a high end PC (eg. http://i35.servimg.com/u/f35/11/45/02/64/dsc_0210.jpg) and a PS3, and the PC destroys the PS3 in IQ. Particularly at 1920x1200 rez (vs 1920x1080 that the PS3 supports), let alone the ability to drive 6088x1200 (3 screen eyefinity) while maintaining a reasonable level of IQ.

The PS3 is a great system at a far cheaper price point than a high end PC. And it's really good to see what they can wring out of it. But when it comes down to apples to apples comparisons (ie. best in breed game running on each system rather than comparisons of a bunch of console ports), a high end PC will win.

All of which doesn't really matter if you enjoy your games on either platform.
I use my PS3 for watching Blu-rays and dvds and for playing games that i cant get on the PC like final fantasy xiii and heavy rain. 99% of my gaming is on the PC apart from agreeing with you 100% look at all the other advantages the PC has, like being able to do everything else with it. I actually nearly cry at how limited the PS3 is at times, like only supporting a Fat32 system that is ancient so anything over 4 gigs has to be streamed, also how cumbersome are first person shooters without a mouse and keyboard. Its a shame this thread has gone down the road it has considering it was really meant to show a video to an up and coming game, but i thought i would add my pennys worth in defense of how fantastically diverse the PC is

As far as zombie games are concerned, i cant get enough of them although there are alot of dire ones out there. I was interested in that Amy zombie game but its had two of the worst ever reviews. Still if its good when it comes out i will probably end up buying it
Xavien is offline   Reply With Quote