The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Games Talk (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/games-talk/)
-   -   Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/games-talk/414857-kingdoms-amalur-reckoning.html)

Ancient_One 10th February 2012 11:44 AM

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

I'm interested in this title and was wondering if anyone has it and what they would say about it.

Someone commented that it was Skyrim meets GOW but to me it looks more like WOW for consoles.

Feel free to post your thoughts on this game.

Chief 10th February 2012 01:09 PM

I wouldn't pay full price for it. It feels like you're playing an MMORPG by yourself. It's 99% side quests. Story and setting is just very generic fantasy stuff. Graphics are extremely dated. It's far too easy. For an "open world" game it feels very linear.

That said the combat can be pretty fun, playing a chakram wielding mage feels like playing god of war, but when you have spells that stunlock the enemy nothing is really a challenge. I'm sure other classes have the same issues, I know warriors can just block everything.

Games like this are good examples of why I don't listen to reviews. 9.0 and possible GOTY contender from IGN? EA must have paid a lot for that one. I'd say it's a 7.5 at best.

The demo actually gives you a decent idea of what the full version is like and even lets you explore a fair bit but it's on a timer so you don't get to play enough to notice how repetitive it becomes.

Ancient_One 11th February 2012 12:03 AM

Gee. Doesn't sound good at all.

Mushroomsoup 24th February 2012 11:50 PM

Well, depends on what you count as "Generic". If you say R.A.Salvatore is generic then it may feel that way, but then again as he was one of the founding fathers of high fantasy as we know it then you cant really call it generic. If you count Todd McFarlane's graphical genius as outdated then it may not be for you either.

It's not as sharp as Skyrim in graphics department, but then again it was never meant to look realistic. The characters and setting have much more originality than skrim and the story is more in depth. NPC's are more realistic and you wont have every second one of them complaining about an arrow in the knee.

Not a 9/10 but probably an 8.

Ancient_One 25th February 2012 08:27 AM

I used to play Skyrim........then I took an arrow to the knee.

Methane Cuddles 3rd March 2012 04:02 AM

I got the same impression from the demo as you described Chief. In and of itself it is a pretty fun game but playing after Skyrim as a 1 player game it just doesn't hold up. If they implemented multiplayer into KoA:R I could see it being a really fun "dungeon" crawl game you could play with friends and get some real enjoyment out of it.

sabbey 3rd March 2012 02:39 PM

I am playing it currently on PC and I am enjoying it a lot, though after several hours into it, it's getting quite a bit repetitive... I am not sure it is worth the full asking price, but around $40 or less it's definitely worth a look I think.

The only thing I hate about the game is the blocking feature in combat, seem totally broken. For an example, enemies seem to block you or interrupt your attacks like nearly all of the time, but can't do the same level of blocking yourself, I have had effective blocks like maybe 20-50 times out of over 80 hours since most times you'll get interrupted or the timing is just too great an obstacles in getting it to work as it should.

I am glad I bought the game, but it still has plenty of flaws that need fixing in my view. :)

Scyman 6th March 2012 04:33 AM

I enjoyed the game but it did seem to get repetitive. I enjoyed the story but not how it was delivered (your toon only has one expression for every single dialog). I liked the fighting style but the questing seemed too linear. Overall it was a worthy attempt but fell a little short.

I do hope to see a sequel as this seems like an enjoyable IP, as long as they work out a few of the kinks

sabbey 6th March 2012 09:06 AM

I hear they actually plan on turning it from a single player RPG into a MMORPG... With this being more the setup to the world it takes place in, sort of like how KOTOR 1&2 lead to SWTOR I guess.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Project Copernicus - PC - IGN

It would seem most want it to stay a SPRPG from what I have read online though. :)

Also, there is more DLC coming later in the month, sounds interesting!

http://www.ign.com/wikis/kingdoms-of...nd_of_Dead_Kel

Asmodai 6th March 2012 04:05 PM

Totally unimpressed thus far. I think this game cashes in on the big names associated with it far more than it should. I enjoy RA Salvatore's books but just can't get past the basic nature of the quests and the pedestrian combat to enjoy the storyline. McFarlane did the graphics? Yay, so WoW circa 2009 is now something to brag about?

Nevermind the bugs (took forever to work out the trick to binding ESDF rather than WASD*), the crappy FOV, lack of eyefinity support (hell, WoW and most other MMO's already allow this) and the crappy inventory system (worse, imo, than Skyrim which was already pretty ordinary).

*For those who wish to know, the trick is bind up, right, down, left to your new keys (excepting arrow keys which are bound to the arrows) and you'll get your settings to stick.