Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Console Talk > Games Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6th June 2012, 10:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2425 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Goofy
Thumbs up Playstation Plus gives you free games

Starting today (June 6) PlayStation Plus members will now have a library of games to play including inFAMOUS 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Saints Row 2, Just Cause 2, and Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine, in addition to exclusive features like online game saves, automatic updates, priority access to betas, and the best discounts on games, DLC, and other content on the PlayStation Store – all for less than $5 a month. New games will be introduced all the time, so you’ll never run out of awesome titles to play!

PlayStation®Plus - Get PlayStation®+ Exclusives, Free Games & Huge Discounts from PlayStation®Network

I wish Xbox Live would expand to do this too... Whilst I enjoy Live's features much more than what PSN offers, I'd much prefer free games of this calibre.
FunkyJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6th June 2012, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lead Administrator
All Knowing - Post: 17229

FJ, thanks for bringing this one to our attention.

For $60/year it is probably worth the investment.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers,
immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. - Noam Chomsky
Ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
DOTA2
Deadly - Post: 2124

Confused

Just checked on the aussie store, none of those games are there so they either haven't updated it for us yet or more likely it only applies to the US
Battlelog ~ PSN - Trent_Steele ~ Steam ~ Battle.net - Chief#6843
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager
Ace - Post: 9160

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
more likely it only applies to the US
Hit it on the nail.
Old 6th June 2012, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Advisor
Advisor
Lethal - Post: 6719

Is it just that Aussies haven't received it yet, or are we not getting them at all? We did get the free games after the PSN security stuffup, so they do have the ability to let us in on the fun.
SemiproCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager

Breezy

Time will tell I guess.
Old 7th June 2012, 10:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
DOTA2

Confused

woo! games have been added now. Space Marine, inFamous 2, Virtua Fighter 5 Showdown, Little Big Planet 2, Motorstorm Apocalypse, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD, Darksiders and a few other little games.
Old 7th June 2012, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyJ View Post
Starting today (June 6) PlayStation Plus members will now have a library of games to play including inFAMOUS 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Saints Row 2, Just Cause 2, and Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine, in addition to exclusive features like online game saves, automatic updates, priority access to betas, and the best discounts on games, DLC, and other content on the PlayStation Store – all for less than $5 a month. New games will be introduced all the time, so you’ll never run out of awesome titles to play!

PlayStation®Plus - Get PlayStation®+ Exclusives, Free Games & Huge Discounts from PlayStation®Network
but is it still worth it. Other then the games, $60 to provide you with something you should have enabled on your system seems pretty rough to me.

Downloading updated for your games but doesn't install them until you insert the game disk. Lame. Chew up your download quota without actually installing it.

Most of those games I have already purchased and sold on or completed. They are old titles hence why the offer them for free.
Old 7th June 2012, 02:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
DOTA2

Confused

It's been great for me, have at least $200 worth of games that were free via PS plus. You have to think of it more like renting games for an indefinite period, similar to how services like quickflix and such work. inFamous 2 for example is a good one for me, great game, didn't finish it when I rented it but wouldn't buy it as I know I'd only play through it once and never touch it again. This way I can finish it when it's convenient, delete it and grab something else they're offering. It's also a great way to try out games you may not otherwise try without having to worry about regretting a purchase.

The automatic updates only download patches for recently played games, forget whether it's the last 10 or 20 you played but it's certainly not all of them. You can disable them altogether anyway. Most countries don't have a cap so they didn't really design it with Aussies in mind, but I have a 500GB quota I've never managed to use up anyway so it's never worried me. It's great when there's a huge update, like one I had a whole ago that was 1.5GB, much better just launching the game and it installing instead of having to wait an hour for it to download first.

It's real value comes from the discounts though, saved at least $50 in the last 6 months from the discounts. So it's definitely best value to folks who buy PSN titles or DLC regularly.
Old 7th June 2012, 06:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1463

Goofy

What I don't like is once you stop your membership none of the games work anymore.
It's a great deal if you're always going to be a member though and you haven't played those games before.

PC - TOG|Click PS3-PSN - clickaus Guild Wars 2 - clickaus.9170
click is offline   Reply With Quote